3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   The 21 Day Challenge: Making Healthy Habits #5 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/18007-21-day-challenge-making-healthy-habits-5-a.html)

Arabella 07-11-2002 07:52 AM

The 21 Day Challenge: Making Healthy Habits #5

The 21 Day Challenge was originally posted by Katrina, from an EDiets forum.(Thanks, Katrina! :cool:) This thread is based on that idea, but is more generic: YOU decide what behavior you want to focus on (you might want to follow WW or some variation, or may just want to commit to a certain amount of exercise -- whatever behavior you would like to make a habit) and commit to that for 21 Days. Then you might continue on for another block of the same, or you may want to add another behavior. The idea is that it tales 21 days to form a new habit. Sometimes it takes a lot of starts before you get through the first block of 21 days :rolleyes: but if you persevere, you WILL make it. And it gets much easier as you go along, until - YES! - healthy behavior becomes a habit!

21 DAY CHALLENGE

1. Your 21 days must be CONSECUTIVE days! That is the whole point in forming new habits.

2. This works on the "honor" system...no one will monitor you...if you "mess-up", you are only cheating yourself by not beginning again! The importance behind this challenge is to have 21 consecutive days of self control!!

3. What do the numbers mean that you see by peoples' names?? They stand for DAY/POUNDS LOST/BLOCK. 1/0/1 is Day 1, 0 pounds lost, Block 1.

4. Once you have finished block #1 (the first 21 days) you will progress to block #2...

5. For each block, you should state your rules and follow them for 21 days... repeat this as many times as necessary until you are at your goal. Your rules may be as specific or vague as you want: for example, I've considered just at the end of each day, asking myself whether my behavior would lead to better health (and weightloss) and counting myself on track if it did. Or you can stipulate as many rules as you'd like - if you want to change your plan, simply start over with a new Day 1.

Good luck to you as you complete your journey! :love: YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It all starts with a single step... and following with a new one each day!!

Arabella 07-11-2002 08:18 AM

Re: The 21 Day Challenge: Making Healthy Habits #5

Good Morning Blockettes!

Hope this morning finds you all happy and rarin' to go. I myself have been a bit down in the dumps. I don't know if it's because of that stupid gain last week, or whether it's some weird hormonal (menopausal) thing that is responsible for both gain and mood. Ugh. Nevertheless, I continue to persevere in the hopes that both weight and spirits will rise.

Anyway, I've been trying to be extra extra careful this week and am hoping to see results on the scale tomorrow morning.

Elaine, that's great progress. Compulsive eating is so nasty. And any kind of compulsion is by its very nature difficult to beat. I remember doing it and feeling like I had no control, and was hopeless and helpless. Still waiting to get that rush that makes me feel like doing stuff, though. It feels so GOOD when I'm living my life and not just pushing myself through the things I absolutely have to do.

Katrina, Barbapapa is a sort of amorphous blob (oh dear! is that why i relate? :eek: ) who can magically turn into various shapes and things -- hard to describe, but there was something warm and wonderful about them (i think there was a barbamama and so on too).

Which episode of I Love Lucy can you still sit down and watch??
~I don't remember I Love Lucy at all. Some vague memory about her not telling Ricky about something or other and getting in trouble (sad to say, I recognize that scenario all too well :o )

Which song from your teenage years STILL makes you tap your foot and hum when you hear it??

Layla! (but just about any of them, really!) Layla's a funny one, because when I was a teen, there was this frantic, passionate version, and in middleage, Clapton did the sedate un-plugged version. WAY too appropriate!

So many others: All along the Watchtower (Jimi version), Gimme Shelter, I Feel Good, etc, etc, etc...

Which age span could you have done without? (for example- 20-25) ?

Oh, 9-13 I guess. Not a good time.

How many sizes of your clothes do you still own? Yes, even the stuff that you couldnt wear even if it was the right size because it is sooooooo out of style??

Guess I must be an optimist in some ways, because I immediately get rid of clothes when they're too big. However, I have clothes packed away that are a couple of sizes smaller than my current one.

Do you really drink all the water you say you do?

Gurgle. Slosh. Glug. Uh...Yep.

Oh, I must get to work. Ick.

Love to all!

xo
babette
2/208 (-7)/2

Venus Envy 07-11-2002 09:11 AM

Movin' on up

I've been lurking a while, and now that I've moved into my new house, I'd like to add this thread to my list of transitions.

This is Day One for me. I had a nice spate of days behind me, but yesterday I was feeling particularly lugubrious about all the changes (new neighbors, new routines, completely unfamiliar walking route, and WHERE THE HECK ARE MY UMBRELLAS?) and had a little binge-purge slip. Fortunately, I was able to stop it from spinning into the whole evening by diverting my kitchen attentions toward installing wire shelving in the cupboards. Nothing like power tools to put me in charge of my environment.

So. This morning I did 25 minutes of interval racewalking. And even though I had no idea of the distance, I can fix that tonight by driving around the neighborhood for five minutes and planning out a couple measurable routes. (My goal is to do 13-minute miles at my Labor Day half-marathon.)

Good breakfast -- 1/2 of a Zone Perfect bar after walking, then Irish oatmeal with blueberries an hour later. Plenty of water so far. My lunch bag packed with fruit salad, fresh chicken salad, grapes, and a Fresca. My head packed with thoughts of making the evening enjoyable amidst chaos.

I'm alright.

Kaylets 07-11-2002 10:49 AM

Thursday am

What a morning!!!
Car won't start, AAA says "lady, you need a new battery". Ok, that's good news. EXCEPT, a corroded post won't budge so, we are waiting for DH to figure something out tonight. Which means I couldn't go to work. I will know tomorrow if this is getting me in trouble- yesterday was only day 30.

Had 3 Pria bars packed in my lunch and was glad for the chocolate taste as I was stressing waiting for the AAA man.

So, faced with the day off, I said," look at all the things you can get done here in the house. " and then I answered " are you kidding, I need to check the thread and see what's going on!!"

so here I am--

Queen Babette-- I think I have at least 2 copies of "Layla" on cassette right now-- The original, with Eric Clapton. Its a classic-- in fact, it took me a long, long time to even give the newer version a chance. Do you remember the early Alman Brothers too??

Queen Venus Envy- Moving can be a great catalyst for change-- I always get frustrated in new grocery stores though- Sometimes its a real "Don't Look For the Logic" moment. Tell us some more about the Irish Oatmeal- Does it have a different texture? I think I have had it before( but since it was a cafeteria, there was no one to ask).

Queen Aramantha--We'll keep the throne warm. Ditto about the jesters!!

DG Kerrie-- How are the Firm videos working out? I saw another thread wishing for an instructional video. Did your set have one?

Queen JoJoJo-- I can relate re; fire worries .We had smoke from the Canadian fires down here in DE. The smell of wood burning was unnerving even though we knew it was just the smoke.
You think you're sympathetic to those folks on the news, but it really hit home with the smoke.

Queen Punkinseed- You will still have the last laugh when you go into the drs office. You know they are expecting you to come in and blast them. It will be interesting. At least they didn't try and tell you that they had left you a message cancelling.
I figure, its the doctor who decided to cancel all the appts at such late notice. So, they might have been really stressed. And I know you made the trip. I wonder if you went in there and said that you know it's really that the doctor's fault and you could understand how it all happened but you DID drive there for nothing -- I wonder what might happen.

Queen Wildfire- Isnt Wed your weigh in day? Did you come howm with the 10lb ribbon this time?

Queen Brighterdays-- are the Tai Chi classes expensive? I would think I would like to try Tai Chi

Queen UpandAway- Is your perseverance starting to pay off? But for sure, if you are working your plan, even if the losses are slow, THERE IS NO GUILT-- Don't forget about the tortoise and the hare- do you know what the snail riding on the turtle's back said
" Whoooooaaaaa!"

Queen Katrinabegood-- so,--- tell us about Day 7 treats-- how is that all coming together for you?

Queen Elaine R.-- What's new in your kingdom? Have you sentenced any royal jerks to the tower??

Queen Edyie- How are the little Royal subjects treating you?
Have they all mastered the curtsey??

To everyone I haven't mentioned specifically-- How is it in your Kingdoms? Are all the members of your court keeping your crowns nice and shiny? Are they keeping us "amused" ??

I guess I'll sign off with my new favorite word gem ;

The road to success is always under construction :p

Cindelier 07-11-2002 10:51 AM

Day Four and still posting

Good morning all! It's raining here in Kansas City, but I've had a beautiful morning. There's a song going through my head, "Good morning beautiful, how was your night? Mine was wonderful with you by my side. I open my eyes and see your sweet face and its a good morning beautiful day."

Stay happy my dears! The answer to "Live long and prosper" is "Prosperty and long life."

Cheryl

Arabella 07-11-2002 11:05 AM

Oh, yeah! The Allman Brothers!

Too exciting, Kaylets! I downloaded "Live at the Filmore East" from audiogalaxy, and it's every bit as good as I remembered. (i can send it to you if you'd like!) Hmmm... maybe that's what I need -- a good dose of the Allman Brothers! Hey, I noticed that nobody yet has mentioned "Donnie and Marie" or "Abba" ;)

When I was a teen, my sister had a Donnie Osmond record and would play "Puppy Love" repeatedly, while I wanted to play the Stones, Jethro Tull (yup), Steely Dan, and etc. I think something terrible happened to her record....

Kaylets 07-11-2002 11:51 AM

DID I REALLY MISPELL ALLMAN BROS??

I can't believe it, just points out to me how distracted I am this morning.

I think DH has downloaded it for me, but thanks. He has watched me dig thru Vinyl at yard sales, etc, looking for the double album even though I have more than one copy of the cassette.
Guess what I found recently on cassette !! Molly Hatchett, "Hot and Nasty" . The lyrics could use some soap but its still a heart starter!!
Music is a great hobby of mine. Has gotten me thru some very crazed and crazy times.

Am recollecting my vinyl collection. Nothing like an old turntable stacked up with your favorites of the day while you go about your business.

Do you still listen to Clapton?

I almost wore out his "From the Cradle" -

PS-- My husband was on an Abba kick this spring--

We are truly an "eclectic" house here:dizzy: :rolleyes:

Punkinseed 07-11-2002 12:15 PM

Greetings your Highnesses!

Hot, hot, hot here in central Oregon today!! Supposed to get up to 105. Thank the Gods I spent the extra $ and bought a heat pump when I built my house! Air conditioning is bliss....

We have a creepy guy parked on our street - he was in his car at 6:15am when I saw him and now he's gone, but the car's still there. I live on a dirt road with 3 houses - mine, my Mom's and our close friends (who are out of town). I've called the police twice, they can't be out until 10am (gotta love small towns without our own police). Very creepy... my gut tells me to keep an eye on this situation.

Messages to the court:

Wildfire - I LOVE the WW cookbooks! I actually bought so many when I worked there that I have a book shelf in my kitchen to hold them! Now, if I'd just USE them.... :rolleyes: I'm learning that I'm a hoarder - I love to possess things and keep them close to me, touch them occasionally. What a Capricorn...

VenusEnvy - OOOOOOH! Power tools!!!! I got a cordless drill for Christmas from my stepfather (who calls me his "other son"). If I'd had this tool years ago I wouldn't have needed Prozac!

Kaylets - My condolences on the car... must be going around - my best friend called and asked what are the odds of her car dying (needed to be towed), her husband's differential went out on his truck and their spare car blew a head gasket - all in the span of 3 days.... :eek:
As for the Dr.... I still haven't called them back, I need to find out when I can get the time off again. I'm so far out in the boonies it takes me 30 minutes to get to their office (20 of that trying to just get to a highway). Oh, I'll be super sweet to them when I go in, that's just how I am - they appologized, that's what mattered.

Ok, I'm starting to feel like quite the 80's girl here. You're all humming meaningful "songs of the day" and all the music that runs through my head is of all the big "hair bands". I had a friend that worked for BAM magazine (Bay Area Music) so I had the pleasure and privilege of meeting all the cool bands of the time, Poison, Ratt, Black Crows, Warrant... I don't think any of them wrote many songs that could be my anthem nowadays! But aaaaah, memories.... :devil:

Well, better get some work done!

Terri :cool:
day 3/1.5 pounds/block 1
(so do I keep adding up my pounds until I change blocks or whaaaat?)

deleted2 07-11-2002 12:16 PM

Amarantha, I understand about wanting to rest and regroup for awhile--we'll miss you like crazy while you're gone but we know you'll be checking in on what's going on.

Venus--good to see you're back. Moving is the most disorienting thing, isn't it? Sounds like you're settling in nicely though.

Babette, I'm in a weird mood myself these days--can't seem to find "the groove"! Maybe because I'm having the ankle surgery on Monday and I feel like everything's on hold till then. The suspense...!

Kaylets, I hope your afternoon's better than the AM! [I love Pria bars too, one of those sensible indulgences.]

And to all the other Queens---Hail!

Hey, thanks to everyone for comforting me when I was feeling so weird after my latest misadventure. It helped a lot, really. And I'm feeling tons better about it---'just one of those wacky things'!
:)

indigogirl 07-11-2002 02:06 PM

Day 1 again

Have fallen off the block big style, having subsisted the last few days on red wine and chocolate.:(

Work has been very stressful - a huge project with short deadline and no non-teaching time, followed by the announcement that I am to be inspected for 'Advanced Skills Teacher' status - next Wednesday.
Then this evening was parents' consultation evening and I was verbally attacked and intimidated by an angry father. This is often parr for the course in my job, but this guy actually works in our school...so I now feel very insecure, despite the support of my boss (who will want to avoid any confrontation or aggravation.)

I thought that, if I didn't get back on the block today might be a big, damaging blow out. It isn't worth damaging myself over.
Need to cry it out, not eat it in.

1/?/1(again)

Cindelier 07-11-2002 03:00 PM

noon-no work in sight

Boy, I feel silly for having such a good morning-I hope everyone's day improves.

Indigo-I'm so sorry about the situation with the angry parent. When I was growing up I had some of the most wonderful teachers (I don't know how I would have got to college without them!) and I remember how awful the parents could be. Some people can't separate the problem from the person and they take stuff VERY personally. You should be proud that you had the guts to tell it like it is in the first place. Way to go! Try to get some exercise-I used to play tennis and imagine that persons head as the ball. I went through a lot of balls.

:dizzy:

Amarantha-I hope you're not gone for long, I truly enjoy your posts!

Kaylets-The situation with your car has to improve. Our vehicles went through cycles and when they break down it was terrible. I'm just glad that you weren't someplace desolated and broke down.

Pumpkinseed-Child of the 80's are we? I still remember those bands! It's funny when my brother-in-law's girlfriend's daughter (what a mouthful) shows me her copy of this "new" artist's album--String!

:lol:

As for the rest of the court-may your days improve, if they don't I can always break out the wedding photos (my husband in tights is enough to get a few grins!). At least it is almost Friday!

katrinabgood 07-11-2002 03:16 PM

Day One, for sure

Yep, back in the saddle again! I stocked up on fruits and veggies and stuff to keep the appetite happy and satisfied. Making low fat Vegetable Lasagne for dinner tonight, a big salad. Breakfast will be a lovely fruit salad (I just got up, I work nights) better yet a smoothie...lunch: an eggwhite omelet with mushrooms, peppers, low fat cheese. Ok...food for the day is planned out...on to replies and then I must get outside, the weather is absolutely heavenly...77 degrees, sunny, breezy...ahhh!

indigogirl...ahhh...the red wine and chocolate diet...gotta love that one! Not too effective for weight loss, but it soothes the savage beast when employed...good luck with your work situation...I ALWAYS say God Bless Teachers...you have got one of the hardest jobs in the world. Try not to let the idiot parents of the world drive you into the arms of the chocolate :devil:

Eydie...good luck with your upcoming surgery...glad you're feeling better.

punkinseed...is the creep gone? That's scary. Take care of yourself. Good for you on being the "better person." I wouldn't be TOO nice to the office...just civil...let them suck up to you!

Kaylets...hmmm, let me see, in order to give myself a Day 7 treat, I would have to get through days 1-6...I'll have to get back to you on that one! We have an eclectic musical selection here too...rock, country, Broadway, blues, jazz, swing, classical...it's all good! All this talk about the Allman Bros has me yearning for "Live at the Filmore East!" ahh, memories...my brother almost killed me the day I broke one of the albums in that set...well, I DID fling it at him like it was a frisbie!

babette...I love the Layla analogy, it's true! I love both versions...I was just listening to "unplugged" the other day...great music!

I am on here WAY too long already...must get outside to the sunshine! so Hail and Farewell to all...Have a most pleasant day!

(curtsy)

Punkinseed 07-11-2002 04:10 PM

Wow, is it Friday??? It's SO quiet here at work I'm about to doze off... the 99 degree temp outside isn't helping matters either! (zzzzzzzzz.......)

Scarey guy literally flew outta here at 9:30am. My Mom got his license plate while he wasn't in the car and I called the police back and gave it to them. An hour or so later I heard an engine revving real high then saw him damned near do a donut in our court (which is dirt so it made a huge cloud) and then he blew outta here. I called the police back and they asked what direction he went and said they'd keep an eye out on our ranch and that I should call back if I see him again. Very odd...

Cindelier - Yup, graduated in '88 so I was old enough that in the hight of the whole L.A. heavy metal music scene I could be found in Hollywood. I look back now and think my parents must've been insane for giving me so much lead, but then my Mom always used to say "I trust you" - which amounts to an enormous amount of guilt should you screw up... When Goldie Hawn's daughter got married I showed my Mom the picture in People magazine and told her years ago I helped rip up raw chicken and cabbage for a backstage food fight with Goldie Hawn's new son-in-law. My Mom looked absolutely horrified - and terribly curious... :lol:
I'd have to say from 17-20 were the best years of growing up!

Sigh.... back to "work" I guess

Terri :moo:

upandaway 07-11-2002 07:11 PM

Howdy Highnesses and Royalty!

It has been a strange couple of days here as well. Things just seem, for lack of better word, dickey. Like something's in the air. Glad to hear it's not just me or my funky neighborhood. I'm proud of all us though for keeping on keeping on, coming here and as Indigogirl said, 'cry it out, not eat it out', I love that!

Kaylets, the only payoff so far for all my perseverance is that I feel good about myself for not bailing out. This is the longest stretch of on program days I've had in, well I don't even know how long. I won't let myself get on the scale until Sunday so I'm just going by how I look, which is the same, and feel, which is terrific.

Cindelier I love the Borg line! DH and I are shameless Trekkies, with the exception of Deep Space Nine and the one with the woman captain, Janeway or whatever. She just bothered me so bad on that show, like she had always just had a hit of helium and her voice was unnaturally high and squeaky. The new series, the 'pre-Star Trek' one is pretty good.

You're wise to be wary of strange cars and even stranger drivers, Punkinseed. I keep telling my 12 year old DD, you literally CAN'T be too careful.

Greetings and salutations to the rest of the Royal Court. Queen Aramantha, know you are missed here, hurry back.

upandaway
4/4/2

brighterdays 07-11-2002 10:32 PM

Good Evening all,

Just came back from the "Ya-Ya" flick---quite a hoot! My sis says it's the best she has seen for awhile....hope you all have had a chance to catch it. (My YA-YA name is "Countess Wants it ALL"--doesn't that say it all....)

Sorry, I haven't been able to post for a bit....our ISP in this area has been having difficulties and it dumped me off the net too many times to count and I gave up for a few days. All is well now.

Kaylets, my tai chi class is thru the gym that I already have a membership at (it helps if your employer is part owner) and I only had to pay 15.00 extra. Our teacher is very patient but a perfectionist so any praise is good. I got my feet placements correct at the last class WITHOUT having any instructional footprints painted on the floor! (We threatened that at the first two classes...) Babette, how's your class going....mine is only 6 weeks this time but I'm sure I'll continue with the next session since I am finally doing it right. Now if I could only remember flow-ing instead of jerky cheerleading movements with these arms!

Doing well on my challenge but went out and purchased a new scale so that I can keep up better (one of those lithium battery digital scales).

Hello to all not mentioned...I know you are out there but I can't find all the threads to respond to after being gone for a while.

day 9/ -2/ block 1