Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 08:08 AM   #16  

Woohoo! Here I am on Block 2!

My habits for this block are:
Take supplements
Eat a salad with dinner
Drink at least 64 oz water every day
Brush/floss after dinner (=> no night time snacking)

I had a nice surprise on the scale this morning, but I don't want to post it because it's probably a fluke. So, I will update with my weigh-in tomorrow.

Indigo, sorry to hear about your stressful encounter. Even if someone has legitimate issues, personal conflict is no way to solve them. If his child is having difficulty, I wouldn't be too surprising based on what you said about his father's conduct.
Chocolate and wine... well, at least they are both supposed to be good for your heart, so you're all charged up now! Actually, my "dessert" pretty much every day is one drink and a small piece of chocolate (the same size every time). It's part of my "program" and I think it helps keep any additional cravings at bay.

Punkinseed, good for you keeping an eye out. We also live a little off the beaten track and the local kids sometimes used to use our "driveway" as a lover's lane/party spot. At least the beer bottles were returnable! I'm happy to say that seems over now but it still concerns me whenever I see a car I'm not expecting.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:03 AM   #17  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up Fighting tooth and nail to get those pounds off...

Good Morning Blockettes!

Well, I weighed in down one (1) pound of the undeserved 3 that I gained last week. I still live in hope that if I continue to plug along and do what I have to do that the weight will (sometime) leave in a mysterious chunk, just as it came. Although I'd hoped to make more weight progress by this point, I have to be proud of the behavioral changes that I've made and continue along, rather than letting them slip away. Eventually this WILL work (won't it?) I will start measuring things more carefully, eating veggies more often for snacks, trying to keep my points a little lower when poss.

Venus, so happy to have you on the block! Welcome! Didn't I see at some point (yes, your progress has been watched!) that you had a significant drop of body fat without a corresponding weight loss? (she asked hopefully)

Indigogirl, at least you did it in style! What kind of chocolate was it... mmmm... don't spare the details Sorry about the nasty conflict. That kind of thing is my absolute worst trigger. I'm fine if something is seriously wrong, but average life stress can push me off the wagon on the PDQ.

Brighterdays, Tai Chi is going well. I'm almost to the point where I can get through a whole set on my own, just have to get the last few sequences right. And then, I swear, I will do a set every day!

YYM, bet your loss is not a fluke -- someone has to have the fluky losses to make up for the fluky #!%*ing gains. Congrats if it's you!

Upandaway, it's funny when a mood or phase or something seems to cut a swathe through the forum. I've seen that happen before -- hope the next one will be positive!

Punkin, so glad you involved the cops. That creepy guy would be freakin' me out big time. Be careful!

Katrina, is low-fat part of the fit for life thing? I guess I had assumed that it was just a matter of combining and timing. Still thinking I might give it a shot. I'd sure love to drop some weight!

Cindilier, sounds like you're lucky with the songs you have playing in your head. I generally get stuck with something like "Disco Duck."

Eydie, sounds like we're not the only ones in a weird mood, either. I guess we forge on and eventually our moods change, huh. I've finished with PMS and so on, but I'd swear I still get it sometimes, complete with the weight gain. Hope your surgery goes well, and that you recover WAY faster than you would have thought poss.

Kaylets, I paused over the spelling, thinking "surely to god I would have noticed -- esp. in my teen years -- if the name was the "All Man Brothers" Maybe not though... or maybe I did and just can't remember

Oh, it must be time to be productive. Let's make it a great day, Blockettes!

Love to all!

xo
babette
2/208 (-7)/2

Last edited by Arabella; 07-12-2002 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:18 PM   #18  
Is it Friday yet?

Default Happy Friday

Hello all

I can't wait for tomarrow. My brother is flying in and I haven't seen him since Dec. '99! We work "together" (he's one of our L.A. mechanics, I'm in Oregon) and I talk to him every day, but it's just not the same.... not to mention I haven't seen my neice either! So, I'm going to be offline all weekend and possibly Monday (they leave Tuesday morning).

HUGE food victory last night... Took a family friend out for her birthday dinner (Mexican food, my weakness) and before we left the house I decided I was going to cut my burrito in half and have the other half for dinner tonight. Now, normally, I *do* cut it in half, and take it home but then I usually scarf it down when I walk in the door.... Last night, I didn't. It will STILL be there when it comes time for dinner tonight, which for me, is just absolutely amazing....

Babette - Congrats on the pound - YES it will work if we keep it up! I know, I sometimes doubt it too, but then I try to remember the focus is only partly on loosing weight, the other part of my focus is creating healthy habits that can last a lifetime.

Indigo - Wow, that Dad sounded like he needs a talking to by his boss if he works in your school. There's no excuse for *any* adult to talk to someone like that! You handled it well!

Well, I'm off to "work" (aka read my newspaper and new People magazine). TGIF!! Have a great weekend everyone

Terri
Old 07-12-2002, 12:42 PM   #19  

Wink At work so I have to be quick!

Babette-Disco Duck? Wow I didn't know anyone else remembered Rick Dees?? I'm original from around Chicago and he was the DJ that created the Duck. Never have I been so ashamed to be from near the windy city. I prefer The Weathergirls (It's Raining Men), these divas come in the larger size and it's good to see artists that aren't anorexic!

Upandaway-glad to meet another Trekkie, although I've been called a Trekker because I like the Next Gen better. Can't wait for the new movie. Yes I've even been to conventions-got to meet John DeLancie ("Q"), he is so tall and gorgeous! I never mention that around the DH. I like the new series, because I really love Scott Bakula (Quantum Leap fame) and think he's an excellent new captain. I wish the Voyager Series could have been better, we finally get a woman captain-but as luck would have it she, stereotypically, can't drive and gets lost!

My best friend used to have a bumpersticker that read "He's Dead Jim. Pass the Ketchup." A little diet humor.

Pumpkinseed: I graduated in '90. Decided NOT to go to the reunion - but I really didn't hate/love high school. Chicken and cabbage, I guess I should be glad that you weren't an Ozzy fan, then the chickens would be alive still. That really conjures up some weird images. You sound like a ton of fun-what do you do when not throwing poulty and vegetables??

I have to get my lunch ready now-our office is having pizza today-my "weakness" but I have a weigh-in tonight-so I'm determined to eat that salad. I'm down another pound (17.5 in total, this is week four). Have a great weekend guys-I'll check back over the weekend and for sure on Monday!

<<<<<hugs>>>>>

Cheryl
Old 07-12-2002, 01:34 PM   #20  
Is it Friday yet?

Cindelier, actually I was a huge Ozzy fan, but it was only so I could drool over Jake E. Lee
When not throwing produce I mostly just "hung out" and behaved like 'one of the guys' - I wanted to be their friend more than I wanted to be a $crew. I despised the "groupies", so I made a point of NOT being one and having a ton more fun than they ever did!

Terri
Old 07-12-2002, 01:35 PM   #21  
a work in progress...

Day 2 is going well...

This will be quick, I have SO much to do today...everyone here is pluggin' along, sounds good!

babette, Fit for Life is not a low fat diet, per se, it's all about how you combine foods and lots of fruit and veggies. I will use butter, for flavor, but not a lot...lean proteins, complex carbs...it works when I stick to it! don't they all?

I hope to get back later when I have time to report another fabulous day on the block!
Old 07-13-2002, 01:55 AM   #22  
emerging from my cocoon

Day 3

Thanks for all the support on my conflict with Angry Dad at work!
My boss has been great - he dealt with the incident yesterday with regards to the guy's role as a parent and the verbal assault on a colleague part of it will be dealt with on Monday. I'm this guy's line manager for part of the week, so I'm not sure how things will go on that...

I have given up the red wine and chocolate diet in favour of real food again. My DH had some good news yesterday and my DS got a fantastic school report so we drove down to Whitby (on the coast of North Yorkshire in North East England, where we live) to find a fish restaurant. None of the ones that looked really nice served anything my DS would eat (i.e. no pizza or burgers) so we ended up with a compromise of a meal in a pub.
I tell you, my new orange silk trouser suit fitted in just perfectly there
Elegant dining experiences and 10 year olds are difficult to gel together...
Never mind. Next time we'll get a sitter

Congratulations to everyone who is sticking it out on the block. I was so disappointed to have fallen off program, but coming back has actually been a big thing for me. I have a long history of thinking - 'Oh, well, I've failed again. I'll try something else next time.' That must say something about you lot!!!

I've just braved the scale - Saturday is my weigh in but I was thinking about skipping it because of the aforementioned food/drink intake this week. Strangely I have lost 3lbs. Must have been the stress.
I cannot recommend last week as an approach to weight loss but will gladly accept the results and aim to look after myself better next week.

3/-3/1
Old 07-13-2002, 09:05 AM   #23  

Hi, folks,

Yesterday went well with my additional new habits. I have a big mug (from a hospital, actually) with all the ounces measured on it. So, I know I've started drining enough water. 24 ounces down today, already.

I really feel good about commiting to these new habits and it helps to make me feel like a winner even on those days the scale is telling me otherwise. Commiting to small changes that I can succeed at are what seem to work best for me, and as I add more they should add up to a healthy life style.

The extra weight loss I had yesterday didn't stay off (for the most part), but I'm still down an additional 0.5 for the challenge. So, my official total weight loss for the first block is 5.5 lbs. I actually started the second block yesterday, though maybe I have a fence-post error, but I'm counting today as day 2. So, here I am:

Day 2/Lost 5.5 lbs/Block 2

I've got friends coming for lunch, so today will be a little more challenging than usual, but most of the food choices will be OP for me. I asked DH to pick up something for dessert that I wouldn't like!
Old 07-13-2002, 01:19 PM   #24  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Angry Day 3

Just occured to me that since I'm doing WW, each day doesn't have to work, points-wise, as long as it balances out. So -- that glass of wine that put me over last night will be made up for today! Friday night is always a little bit of a splurge: pizza or nachos or something like that. I held firm against the extra piece of pizza last night (veggie pizza on whole wheat -- LOTS of cheese though ).

I'm thinking that maybe Amarantha's One (1) Day Challenge might be a good spot to journal food and exercise. Those of us who wanted to could post our challenges and then go in and say what we'd actually done.

Off to pursue quest for world domination! Or at least get the shopping and cleaning done. Have a great day all!

xo
babette
3/208 (-7)/2
Old 07-13-2002, 01:53 PM   #25  
Domestic Engineer

Well, I'm back at day 0...I haven't committed to today being day 1-- I know that's bad, but TOM started this morning and I'm onery to say the least.
The last couple days have been washes as well. Yesterday the donut monster attacked and night before the jalapeno cheddar doritos! Plus more diet coke than I can count with the 100 degree temps- it's what sounded good yesterday.
At least today I've only had water and a bit of OJ for breakfast. We've been out garage saleing this morning-- DH found tons 'o tools to make him happy for a long while. I got crampy and nasty so now we're home for awhile. A nice air conditioned movie sounds nice for later.
I agree with you yo-yo mom about the habits being a nice measure as opposed to the scale. Even though I'm experiencing a hormonal -oh- lapse today I feel good about the overall changes I'm making and I know that as long as I change those habits long-term the scale will catch up eventually.

Sorry if this post was a downer-- I really haven't felt this crappy in awhile. The heat doesnt' help either. Promise to be more chipper next time I post!
Later
Old 07-13-2002, 03:51 PM   #26  

Wink Saturday PM

Hello all!!

Well, got to work ok yesterday but believe it or not, ran out to exchange something at lunch and got stuck in construction traffic. They were paving the road. If I had just done the one errand I would have been fine. But figured, why not and then it was too late. I had to run back in to work 1/2 hr late from lunch and explain myself. My boss was wonderful about both Thurs and the long lunch ( I stayed the extra 30 minutes to make it up) but still--Its definitely, NOT the way I want to be known at this new job!!

Today, we got up early and have been waiting for a new refrigerator delivery. Between making room for them to bring it in and emptying the existing fridge, lots of activity points!!!

Where does this stuff come from? Good news is I found some things I had almost forgotten about, including a big bag of cassette tapes from a yard sale--Even two comedy cassettes, Robin Williams and Howie Mandel-- I'm excited!

The new digital scale is very accurate!! Its true, I look daily- try to use whatever it says as motivation-- and to see it jump up 2.5 from one day to the next and then back down the next day- it makes you realize, we are constantly changing. I am not sure but maybe, am down another lb or two. I'll give it a little longer (or lower!!)

Am reading (finally) Naomi Judd's book "Love Can Build a Bridge".
I was a fan before I read the book, and had seen many of her interviews but am really impressed with the book. She calls herself a Hillbilly and lets you think she's naive but is a very bright woman with lots of commonsense. I wish I could just read it straight thru but I really only have about 30 minutes a day I can just sit and read.

Ok your graces, I will check in later, I think I hear a truck out front .

Take care!
Old 07-13-2002, 03:58 PM   #27  

Default Saturday

Day 6 still doing ok.

Pumpkinseed, I like Ozzy myself but I'm glad your chicken tossing skills weren't tested there. I always got along with the guys better too. They didn't treat me like competition, like most of the girls I knew growing up. Competition for what? I got boobs before a lot of them, part of the weight problem thing.

WARNING: Depressing material ahead!!!

Anyway its Saturday and I'm really in the dumps. Background: My husband and I are from Illinois, but we lived real close to my parents. When they didn't come to my wedding, I stopped talking to them and decided it was time to change. We haven't spoken since October 2000. Sad huh? Well we moved to Kansas and stayed with a friend until we got jobs, now she's getting divorced (nothing to do with us-in progress before we even came out). My husband and I have been sharing an apartment with her (and her 4 year old on the weekends), but it's clear that she and he don't get along well.

It's been a year August, I we're ready to get our own place. She wants to stay here-but is dragging her feet on getting the paperwork done. To stay she needs her parents to consign for her (which she doesn't want to do). I don't want to pressure her, but we need out for the sake of our friendship and my marriage. I don't know what made me think we could all benefit from sharing the bills anyway. Its my problem because if she doesn't assume the lease-we're still liable (we still have a mortgage in Illinois!).

I have an application she needs to fill out, soon-if we want to get out on Sept 1st (the date we told the new place-which has our deposit). BUT I know if I bring it up she'll get angry or cry. I feel terrible. My husband can't say anything without setting her off and I feel like a referee. I know I should do the talk and get it over with, but I'd rather have a cookie.

I can't sleep, I keep having dreams about physical fights with this person (my best friend). However, I am trying to stay away from my "Comfort" foods--but I am soooo ready to crash!

Sorry for the dump-just needed to spill w/o getting yelled at.

Thanks--for the shoulder to cry on.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:55 PM   #28  
Hot Stuff

Cind, be straight with her. Take her out for coffee or pick a bottle of wine and tell her you need to have a serious talk with her. Tell her that she is still your best friend, but this is how things have to be, and they have to be done now. Surely she can understand that your marriage needs a place of its own, and she will still have a place in your life. Maybe ask hubby to go out for a bit and leave you two alone to talk if you're going to approach her at home. She needs to be responsible for herself and not hold you up from what you need to do. Let us know how things go, okay?

Hello to everyone else! Sorry I've not been around much, I've been working 12 hour days and packing and travelling back and forth between the two apartments. I'm back OP...I think this is day six or seven...I'll have to go back through the old thread to see for sure. If anyone missed my last post on the old thread, my weigh in was a maintain. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

I'll be in and out sporadically for a couple of weeks until we get moved, but I think of you all during the day and I hope everyone is doing well!
Old 07-14-2002, 11:35 AM   #29  

Happy Sunday Royal Blockettes!

I am so relieved to (finally) see a loss, 2 weeks worth to be sure but the scale was down 5 lbs. today. Yippee! I had begun to worry in ernest, what if WW won't work for me any more, what if I've messed around and messed up too long? It would be hopeless! Well not really. Because I have realized this time around that loss or no loss I just plain feel better when I'm on program, and that's a huge reason to keep on keepin on.

Cind, I agree with Wildfire, be straight with your friend. It's these tests along the way that strengthen those ties, it may strained for a bit, but likely not broken. Best of luck in a sticky situation.

Wishing us all a great Sunday,
upandaway
8/9/2
Old 07-14-2002, 05:48 PM   #30  
Hot Stuff

Congratulations, UpandAway! 5lbs...wowee! Keep it up!

Where is everyone? Did we declare a Block holiday while I was absent and I don't know about it?

I spent the day cleaning dead bugs (thankfully no live ones appeared!) from the window tracks in my new apartment. That's one thing I'd forgotten about living near the ground...bugs galore! Nine floors up you rarely see a bug. I also hung my shower curtain, washed and put away fancy wine glasses and other glasses that won't get used a lot, and installed new shades in my daughter's room. I called hubby and said "cook something...I don't care what...just have something cooking before I get home." I came home to find him broiling boneless, skinless chicken breasts and working on a side of sweet potatoes and broccoli. I changed the oven back to bake and turned it down from 500 degrees. Oh well...he tries! I headed straight for the shower...felt like I had bugs all in my hair.

So, I'm checking in here to avoid munching while dinner finishes cooking. I got on my scale today and it said 176!! I won't believe it until I weigh in on Wednesday night, but at least I know it's moving again. I checked the old thread, and today is day seven for me.

Hope you are all having a great weekend!

7/-9.8lbs/2
Closed Thread