Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Funny my experience came about in pretty much the exact opposite of Glory's. I did intentionally cut out the sugar/white stuff. After 20+ years of struggling with my weight, I knew it was the only answer. I resisted it for a long time. I would hear all the time that the way to lose weight was to eliminate that stuff and figured I was doomed to a life (a short life at that) of misery, because there was no way on earth I could do without that stuff. But after finally becoming miserable and scared enough and just sick and tired of being fat, I was ready to give it a go. When I decided to lose the weight and decided that I would let nothing stand in my way ever again, I came up with my own plan and I knew part of that plan would be - eliminating those foods. I knew with all my heart that I just could not control myself with those foods. Or at least I knew that I wasn't going to take any chances "this time". So I set myself up for success - and banned them. What I didn't know is how I would feel upon doing so. I hadn't a clue my cravings for them would cease. I hadn't a clue that I wouldn't miss them. I hadn't a clue it would be "so easy". I hadn't a clue I would feel so marvelous and full of energy.

Here's where the reverse of Glory came to be. Since I had to eliminate so many foods, I had to ADD in others. And that's why I turned to veggies and the such. I had to eat something. And I had to make my calories counting. I needed filling power, nutrition and satisfaction from my foods. And the veggies, fruits and proteins fit the bill and filled in the missing spaces of the rice, cereal, breads, pastas, sugar, etc...

So my good/healthy eating was a by product of doing away with the sugar/fat/high calorie laden foods.

But in the end it was the same result. I've become passionate about healthy eating as I love what it does for me. It's been totally and completely wonderful. It's completely transformed my life.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #17  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

IMHO, it sounds to me like you need some structure in your eating plan for now. I really, really think you may benefit from checking out some of the structured plans out there, and just pick one and GO for it.

It kind of sounds to me like you have great intentions but are kind of flailing around like many of us have done when we started. So for the intention and the self-reflection! This is the first step. But you GOTTA find a plan that you like and that maybe spells things out for you JUST for the time-being to get you started. I chose WW because I was able to eat a variety of foods which suits my lifestyle. I've tried many, many plans (from Sugarbusters to Atkins to South Beach to VLCD that were doctor-supervised to the Cabbage Soup diet) and found that FOR ME eliminating food groups wasn't feasible in the long term. This is why I went back to WW. I need the structure and the variety of foods and the ability to easily account for what I am eating.

Others have found that sugars and "white carbs" are really, really tough to handle and have chosen to eliminate them from their diets. And they are amazingly successful, because THIS is what they NEED to do to get to where they want to go. And they can sustain this as a lifestyle. You might want to really think about this option.

But the ONE thing EVERYONE has had in common is a STRUCTURE to their diet that is SUSTAINABLE in the long term -- be it accounting through calorie counting, or WW points, or through restructuring the types of foods they eat (vegan, vegetarian, atkins, low-carb), but there WAS a structure that fit with their lifestyle.

It sounds to me that it is TIME for you to determine YOUR structure for YOU. Pick it, and DO IT...until you do this, you won't move ahead...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 08-24-2009 at 11:23 AM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Breanna,Do yourself a HUGE favor and set yourself WAY ahead of the game! How you ask?

Read Glory's "very long weight loss story" that is in her sig. line. It is absolutely the BIBLE as far as I am concerned and what I have experienced myself.
Gosh, me too. I suppose it helped that our heights, starting and ending weights and body type and age were all similar, as was our general approach to good nutrition. But it made everything seem so possible, so normal, so happy (not deprived), so not alone ... good stuff. Thanks Glory Whether it's Glory's story or another, finding someone's story you relate to, and reading about it over and over, can really help keep you going and on the right track until you develop your own story and beliefs that sustain you.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #19  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Here's a cool site my son found for telling you what's in all that fast food. I know the stuff is bad, but wow! Definitely a wake up/shake up when you see it in black and white. Helps me stay away from the stuff.

http://www.fatcalories.com/index.cfm
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #20  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Breanna,

You are so smart to address this while you are 20. I wish I had! Listen to Glory and Robin, they know what they are talking about. I just have one suggestion to make. Take the time to write down all the food you would eat on a normal day and then calculate the calories. It will help you understand why you have to change the way you eat.

Just know that you can do this!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote