Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #1  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Default Clumsy and frustrated

I'm feeling frustrated because I'm so clumsy. I keep getting hurt. I'll bump into things, step wrong off of a curb and twist my ankle. With the ankle, I couldn't really walk for exercise for about three weeks, have just been starting back into walking the past couple of days. Then, today, I'm walking in my house and stubbed my toe on a box. WHAT IS UP WITH THIS?! I saw the box. I knew it was there. You would think I could manage to get by it without my foot coming into contact. I don't think the toe is seriously injured, but it's just so annoying. It is getting so I'm afraid to try new exercises or do things that should be simple because I might get hurt.

Has anyone had this problem? How did you become less clumsy?
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I go through phases like that. I'm missing part of a toenail right now that tore off when I stubbed the toe. I hope it passes soon! For me, it's sometimes related to being less present. I tend to be mentally preoccupied. So it helps sometimes to get a little more physically grounded. Might be a lack of sleep too.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

How are your ears? The reason why I ask is because your sense of balance is compeltely located in the nerves in your ears. There is all kinds of cool stuff in there, gel, fluid, little hairs, and even rocks (made of calcium) that tell you what your orientation is.

If there is something wrong with your ears, congestion, infection, pain...drainage....your balance will be off.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/175/150

Height: 5'11''

Ugh, I know exactly what you mean. I'm 5'11'' and I constantly have bruises on my arms and knee because I misjudge where something is. Something that has helped me a little is yoga. There are a lot of balancing poses and the focus is on centering yourself. Good luck.
carobell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:20 AM   #5  
Ufi
Persistence

I think my ears are OK. Sometimes a bit itchy from allergies, but they seem fine otherwise.

How would I go about getting physically grounded?

I've tried yoga, but I've had trouble sticking with it because it just seems boring and unproductive. I'm not a big fan of exercising, so I figure that I should be doing something that will help me lose weight, if I'm going to do it.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:34 AM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Allergies could be affecting your inner ear. You may want to ask a doctor about it. There is a maneuver that can be done with your head that will align the inner ear crystals again. I've gotten really clumsy after a cold my whole life, until recently when I figured this out.

I've gotten great results from yoga, but I'm still clumsy. I have learned I have to really FOCUS when I'm moving...no reading while I walk down the hall, no getting distracted while cooking...focusing on one task at a time. I'm still not that great at focusing, and I still get injured even when I do focus (I'm also just a calamity magnet...it's unfortunate!).

If anything, take consolation in what my grandpa always told me...you're clumsy because you're just SO smart that your brain moves way faster than your feet!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:35 AM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Add me to the list of clumsy folk. I walk into walls, tables, even cars. I catch my shoulder on corners.... or other people. My family is amazed I'm still (mostly) intact!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I've been clumsy my whole life...it's just a given that I'll be bruised. I've accepted it, and my husband no longer worries when he hears me smacking into things (he only worries when I actually fall).

I've improved some over the years, but still pretty bad overall. Exercise has actually helped. When I first started on the elliptical trainer, I couldn't let go of the hand bars or I'd immediately lose my balance and start falling. Now I can for a while. I also haven't fallen over while standing straight up (not moving at ALL) for a while...positives all around...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 211/181/140

Height: 5'2"

I second the inner ear thing, they may feel fine but stuff could be going on in there anyway.

Another thought is to improve eye/hand coordination. That effects the rest of your body as well. Activities like tennis or catching a ball, even video games help develop this "muscle" because your hands and brain are trying to do two different things at the same time to achieve the same goal.
UniquelyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #10  
Ufi
Persistence

Catching a ball made me chuckle. I've been smacked so many times by balls coming at me!

I'll have to pay closer attention to the allergy idea. There are times when I do OK and think that I'm developing better coordination, then wham! Maybe they are also the times when my allergies are acting up. Now that I'm aware of it, I can see if that's the case.

Maybe this is the excuse I need to get a Wii Fit!