Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #1  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

Default Little Miss Grumpy

I've always been a pretty even tempered, even upbeat person, but ever since I started working out and counting calories, I've felt comparatively miserable. I find that I smile less, I feel less social, my temper is shorter, and I'm prone to snapping at my husband (poor guy, he's being so supportive).

This is usually strongest in the two hours before my next meal and it makes me feel like some sort of junkie suffering withdrawal from her food drugs.

This bothers me and sometimes makes me wonder if what I'm doing is worth it.

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you deal with it?
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #2  

Yup! I did! For the first few weeks of my plan. I came to realize that I was an emotional eater and when the food was taken away I had to find other ways to work through my emotions. I am much happier now, but it took some work! Perhaps this is not the case with you. It could be low blood sugar if it is happening as you near a meal. Maybe smaller meals throughout the day so your blood sugar level doesn't drop. Hang in there. This too shall pass!
MissBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

That's interesting because I would figure exercise would give you more endorphins and therefore keep you happy?

Do you feel deprived? Could that be making you grumpy? It should pass though- when I first started I was pretty grumpy and would get annoyed when hubby would suggest bad foods to eat out or egg me on to eat something I didn't want to.

Last edited by beerab; 08-17-2009 at 01:25 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #4  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

I do love the exercise. I love the way it makes me feel stronger and the way it is reshaping my body... I have yet to experience a real workout high though. I'm usually exhausted rather than energized at the end of the workout.

I could be a bit of an emotional eater but I also know that I also just really enjoy food. My husband and I are both like that. We love to cook, we love to check out new restaurants etc. He can practically write a poem about a red pepper.

I've been trying to translate that into trying new recipes (calorie counted) at home, trying new foods at home (eggplant, quinoa etc) and it helps to a certain extent; but I do feel rather deprived because I've had to cut out - or at least reduce so vastly I feel like I'm cutting out - many of my favourite foods because they run my calorie count too high (I love Italian food but a little goes a long way when it comes to calories).

I do think I may need to add a few more healthy snacks into my day but I'm afraid of getting back into mindless eating so it makes me nervous.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I will try these things and see what happens.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Intentionally planning to eat snacks is NOT mindless eating. It's sensible, reasonable and well thought out eating. It's not mindless, in fact it's mindful. I don't know where I'd be without my snacks. Certainly not at goal! They keep me going. I can't stand that hungry feeling and do my best to avoid it. I eat frequently, otherwise I DO get grouchy and grumpy, not to mention lightheaded and woozy. Not good.

I personally never felt deprived giving up those high calorie foods. I felt deprived EATING them and REMAINING overweight. That to me was real deprivation. Not being all that I can be. Not being as fit as I could be. Not being as healthy as I can be.

I did make sure though, to not allow myself to get hungry and to eat DELICIOUS foods. That was and still is ESSENTIAL to me. So I knew I could no longer eat "those foods", but I found other delciious, absolutely delicious foods that were not only tasty, but nutrient rich and LOTS lower in calories. It takes some time to experiment and find new foods. Make it an adventure. You like Italian food? Try a wonderful fresh tomato sauce with mushrooms, peppers and onions served over spaghetti squash. Chicken marsala. Baked eggplant with sauce and light cheese. There's plenty out there. Be creative! Tweak your favorites and made them lower calories.

I am a real foodie. Without a doubt more now then before the weight loss. I'm eating SO much better fare. Better and finer and more unusual and varied.

As for the exercise, I'm still waiting for the endorphins to kick it. They only thing that I feel when my exercise is done - is relief - that it's over. But I do LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the fact that I do it. That I CAN do it and what it DOES for my body.

And I am very fortunate that along with the better eating, and the weight loss - came tons of new found energy. I would definitely try spreading out your calories more throughout the day. Eat those snacks. And make them high quality ones. That should help you. There is no reason to suffer.

Keep on switching up your plan as need be. When you see something's not working or to your liking, make a change. This should be enjoyable to you, not dreadful. Give yourself some time. It'll happen.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

You are throwing your body into a form of shock by ditching your old habits (which probably included overeating) for a healthier lifestyle. How long has this been going on?

One thing I suggest you do (if you don't already) is make sure every meal you eat contains a complete protein (such as a meat or whey/soy/other equivelant), a healthy fat, and a complex carb. This will assist in keeping you satisfied. Avoid simple sugars and starchy carbs -- these will cause your body to produce an insulin spike, making you hungrier faster. While saying that, don't entirely deprive yourself of anything you love (unless these things you love are binge trigger foods or something), or else you will just be grouchy because you're not "allowed" to eat certain foods.

There are also healthy alternatives to many unhealthy foods, and with time, you will get used to them, even if they initially seem like ripoffs of your high-fat-high-carb favorites. One thing I like doing is baking eggplant with marinera sauce and a liiiiiiittle bit of cheese on top. If you shred the eggplant, it's almost like eating pasta, and if you throw some extra lean meat in WITH your shredded eggplant, that is pretty good, too.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

My approach has been three meals and two or three snacks. The snacks are never less than two hours from the last time I ate, but also never more than three. Otherwise I get too hungry, and that is not a comfortable feeling.

Also, you probably are having some "withdrawal" from foods you used to eat without thinking--carbs, I would guess. Be sure to include enough healthy carbohydrates in your plan.

It's also possible that you've set your daily calorie intake too low, and that could make you not only grumpy, but also more tired. So, check on that as well.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #8  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvied View Post
I find that I smile less, I feel less social, my temper is shorter, and I'm prone to snapping at my husband (poor guy, he's being so supportive).

This is usually strongest in the two hours before my next meal and it makes me feel like some sort of junkie suffering withdrawal from her food drugs.
?
Exactly how often do you eat? Two hours before my next meal is about 1/2 hour after I just ate. I usually eat every 3 hours or so ... sometimes it varies depending on how hungry I am but generally the intervals between my meals are 2.5 - 3.5 hrs.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #9  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Exactly how often do you eat? Two hours before my next meal is about 1/2 hour after I just ate. I usually eat every 3 hours or so ... sometimes it varies depending on how hungry I am but generally the intervals between my meals are 2.5 - 3.5 hrs.
this is my routine too. i eat 5 or 6 times a day because i find that it helps me not to overeat because im so hungry, but also because that drop in blood sugar can make you a crab!!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvied View Post
I've always been a pretty even tempered, even upbeat person, but ever since I started working out and counting calories, I've felt comparatively miserable. I find that I smile less, I feel less social, my temper is shorter, and I'm prone to snapping at my husband (poor guy, he's being so supportive).

This bothers me and sometimes makes me wonder if what I'm doing is worth it.

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you deal with it?
So, you're only happy for one hour... or are you going longer than 3 hours between "meals." If you're waiting longer than 3 hours to eat, why?
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
There are also healthy alternatives to many unhealthy foods, and with time, you will get used to them, even if they initially seem like ripoffs of your high-fat-high-carb favorites. One thing I like doing is baking eggplant with marinera sauce and a liiiiiiittle bit of cheese on top. If you shred the eggplant, it's almost like eating pasta, and if you throw some extra lean meat in WITH your shredded eggplant, that is pretty good, too.
Spaghetti squash topped with 96% lean ground beef and marinara is also a pretty good fake-out!
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote