I think there is something wrong with me...

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am on the P90X...I have been busting my butt for over a week now! And the stupid scale isnt moving! I am usually 146 but the scale said 151 today! Are you freaking serious! I am starting to get stressed out..My stomach is bloated and i cant poop...I drank 16.9 times 5 or 6....so thats what? 84.5 or 101.4? Is that even enough water!? I dont know how to lose weight because I have always been skinny and now I cant figure out what to do! Im starting to get very sad...I ate 2 fiber bars today...1 turkey burger with whole grain bun, and yesterday 5 chuckie cheeses pizzas! and a little to drink (alcohol) the day before I had a steak (very small) and one serving of mashed potatoes and so asparagus steamed...I know chuckie cheeses wasnt a good idea! I just dont get how I can do something wrong for one day and my bowels take days to move after that! Wack.

What do you guys think I should do? Im bloated and I dont know what to do..
  • I think you need to get some information about proper nutrition first. There are lots of books out there--probably at your library--about weight loss that list sample meals. So many plans! Another idea would be to join Weight Watchers locally, where you can find support for your weight loss and also learn how to eat better.

Exercise alone won't cause weight loss--you have to watch what you're eating at the same time. Calorie counting is a good way to go, but as I said, learn more about nutrition so you don't go to extremes--from overdoing it with Chuckie Cheese to trying to get by on a couple Fiber One bars and a turkey sandwich.

Good luck!
    Jay
  • First of all, I think Jay gave you some great advice. Take a look/see about some nutritious meals and what good eating means. Either at the library or right here on the net.

But without a doubt, one day of "off" eating can wipe out any deficit created in the previous 6 days of "on" eating. That's all it takes. When trying to create that all important calorie deficit, we do that one day at a time, 500 calories a day perhaps, and then one day of NOT doing that and even going a little OVERboard - well - there you have it - any deficit wiped out.

And that pizza was most likely sodium heavy - another factor.

And since you don't have tons to lose, well you are going to most likely have to be even more consistent to get that calorie deficit. IF you want to see results, you're going to have to stay on plan 7 days in a row, 14 days, 21 days...... etc.

Losing weight is doable, at any weight, any age, any - anything. Give yourself some time to figure out what will and won't work for you.
  • Great advice above

From what I remember, you recently started P90x. You need to give your body time to adjust to the intense workout. Believe me, I totally understand the frustration of working your butt off and scale not moving. I've been on a plataeu for over 3 weeks now and I'm about to pull my hair out. Your body can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months to get adjusted...everybody is different. Be patient, definitely watch what you eat, consume proper nutrition before/after workout and keep doing the P90x as planned. You will see results .
  • Also cheese is constipating.
  • Hey Gorgeous,

Are you following the P90X eating plan? At first, I thought it would be ultra hard - my "classic" plan orders me to survive on one serving of carbs plus one serving of fruit per day. I am not saying I always stick to it 100%, but I am finding it in fact much easier than I originally thought.
    But I have to admit that even with all the veggies I eat, the "waste management" system is working a bit slower since I got on P90X. I don't know why.
    What I usually do - actually I have been doing it for years - I drink 2 mugs of coffee first thing in the morning and I allow myself enough time to sit with my knees up and enjoy the morning (I don't mind getting up earlier for this). Once I get up and start moving, the coffee starts working its magic and soon I have to run to the bathroom. I like to get this out of the way before I go to work.

I don't think the scale moved for me either, but I already lost an inch at waist.
  • It sounds like you're drinking enough water but I agree with the others that you may need a bit better nutrition.
    As for the bowel movements that aren't happening, I had that problem for a few weeks and the scale wasn't moving unless you count UPwards movement.
    To fix the problem I started eating raisin bran w/ 1% milk, a high fiber english muffin and a serving of fruit for breakfast daily. (I'm thinking of switching from raisin bran to Fiber One at some point.) That breakfast fix solved the bowel problem AND the weight problem. The weight's going down nicely again!
  • Quote: First of all, I think Jay gave you some great advice. Take a look/see about some nutritious meals and what good eating means. Either at the library or right here on the net.

But without a doubt, one day of "off" eating can wipe out any deficit created in the previous 6 days of "on" eating. That's all it takes. When trying to create that all important calorie deficit, we do that one day at a time, 500 calories a day perhaps, and then one day of NOT doing that and even going a little OVERboard - well - there you have it - any deficit wiped out.

And that pizza was most likely sodium heavy - another factor.

And since you don't have tons to lose, well you are going to most likely have to be even more consistent to get that calorie deficit. IF you want to see results, you're going to have to stay on plan 7 days in a row, 14 days, 21 days...... etc.

Losing weight is doable, at any weight, any age, any - anything. Give yourself some time to figure out what will and won't work for you.
    You are the second person to start off a sentence with "first of all" this can make people think you are being mean....seriously...Im not trying to be hostile just saying...I am a nursing anesthetist major...And have taken MANY nutrition classes....I know what proper nutrition is...I just cant move my bowels like I want to....That was the ONLY bad eating day...I usually eat ALL good meals...No canned foods at all....I have lots of quality foods...My problem is quantity...I tend to not feel full and I will eat more of what ever I cooked....So please anyone who is reading this...I know about nutrition BUT I had a bad day..I just think one bad day shouldnt affect me bowels like it does...I think its something wrong with that..
  • Quote: It sounds like you're drinking enough water but I agree with the others that you may need a bit better nutrition.
    As for the bowel movements that aren't happening, I had that problem for a few weeks and the scale wasn't moving unless you count UPwards movement.
    To fix the problem I started eating raisin bran w/ 1% milk, a high fiber english muffin and a serving of fruit for breakfast daily. (I'm thinking of switching from raisin bran to Fiber One at some point.) That breakfast fix solved the bowel problem AND the weight problem. The weight's going down nicely again!
    I buy fiber one cereal..with the honey clusters...Its awesome...I think I may have worded my post incorrectly...I just want to understand why my bowels wont move everyday...ANd why one day of wrong eating make me not able "to go"...lol
  • Quote: Hey Gorgeous,

Are you following the P90X eating plan? At first, I thought it would be ultra hard - my "classic" plan orders me to survive on one serving of carbs plus one serving of fruit per day. I am not saying I always stick to it 100%, but I am finding it in fact much easier than I originally thought.
    But I have to admit that even with all the veggies I eat, the "waste management" system is working a bit slower since I got on P90X. I don't know why.
    What I usually do - actually I have been doing it for years - I drink 2 mugs of coffee first thing in the morning and I allow myself enough time to sit with my knees up and enjoy the morning (I don't mind getting up earlier for this). Once I get up and start moving, the coffee starts working its magic and soon I have to run to the bathroom. I like to get this out of the way before I go to work.

I don't think the scale moved for me either, but I already lost an inch at waist.
    Congrats on the inch loss! I see a dramatic change in my waist too...(when Im not bloated lol)...SO coffee makes you go? Im going to try that...
  • Quote: Also cheese is constipating.
    I know! lol..It always does it to me...I have switched to soy cheese on my sandwiches and my burgers (turkey and homemade)...
  • Quote: You are the second person to start off a sentence with "first of all" this can make people think you are being mean....seriously...Im not trying to be hostile just saying...I am a nursing anesthetist major...And have taken MANY nutrition classes....I know what proper nutrition is...I just cant move my bowels like I want to....That was the ONLY bad eating day...I usually eat ALL good meals...No canned foods at all....I have lots of quality foods...My problem is quantity...I tend to not feel full and I will eat more of what ever I cooked....So please anyone who is reading this...I know about nutrition BUT I had a bad day..I just think one bad day shouldnt affect me bowels like it does...I think its something wrong with that..
    I'm so sorry that you took such offense at my wording. I didn't realize that saying first of all was in line with being mean. I honestly didn't know that....Funny thing is, I always mean to follow it up with - secondly. And I find I rarely do.....

You have to realize from your post, we had no way to know if that was a typical days meals or a once in a while thing. Not knowing about nutrition (which apparently is not the case with you), is nothing to be ashamed of or feel badly about. I certainly hadn't a clue about it. I have learned loads and I am STILL learning. I hope to continue to keep on learning what works for me and what doesn't. .

Many people DO experience bowel problems after one day of "off" eating. We're all different. What's normal for one could be "abnormal" for another. We're not doctors, nutritionists, dieticians, or anything of the sort. We just tried to help you out given the info that we were given. I honestly thought you were more concerned about the weight stall, then your tummy. It's really hard to get ones thoughts out on the internet sometimes. You have to realize that. And that works both ways. For the original poster and the one who responds. Since you're concerned, perhaps you'd like to speak with a professional about it.

I hope you work it through.
  • Quote: I'm so sorry that you took such offense at my wording. I didn't realize that saying first of all was in line with being mean. I honestly didn't know that....Funny thing is, I always mean to follow it up with - secondly. And I find I rarely do.....

You have to realize from your post, we had no way to know if that was a typical days meals or a once in a while thing. Not knowing about nutrition (which apparently is not the case with you), is nothing to be ashamed of or feel badly about. I certainly hadn't a clue about it. I have learned loads and I am STILL learning. I hope to continue to keep on learning what works for me and what doesn't. .

Many people DO experience bowel problems after one day of "off" eating. We're all different. What's normal for one could be "abnormal" for another. We're not doctors, nutritionists, dieticians, or anything of the sort. We just tried to help you out given the info that we were given. I honestly thought you were more concerned about the weight stall, then your tummy. It's really hard to get ones thoughts out on the internet sometimes. You have to realize that. And that works both ways. For the original poster and the one who responds. Since you're concerned, perhaps you'd like to speak with a professional about it.

I hope you work it through.
    I get what your saying...It just reminded me of when I was in high school and the girls would roll their necks and point their fingers and say "first of all!" And follow with something nasty...But I do think I need to go to a doctor...Kaiser is hard to get the right appointments with....The run around is all you get...lol...
  • The way you described what you had been eating did not make it sound like you knew much about nutrition. Just some feedback...

I'm not sure why you're so worried about your bowels. Anytime you change eating habits, things have to adjust. Maybe you should just take it easy and not try to force things in general? What's the rush?

Jay
  • Yogi makes a tea that you might like to try. It's called Get Regular and I use it around TOM and if I am taking any sort of pain meds known to cause constipation. It seems to work well for me and very gentle.

Peg