Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-23-2009, 03:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/252/196

Height: 5'9"

Unhappy 18 to 14 please?

hello people =]
how are you all? =]
i am new here and looking for some help.
i have been 18 stone for the last 5 years and its got to the point where enough is enough. all my friends are slim and i usually eat the same amounts as them but i do have to occasional binge at nights (i know thats bad) but i was hoping you guys could give me tips to get from the annoying 18stone to my goal of 14?
i havent drank alcohol in 2 or 3 month, i've cut back a lot on smoking too, now its time for the weight haha.
looking mostly for diets.
hope you guys can help =]
TEZ

P.S. would it be possible to shift it for christmas?
P.P.S willing to try extremely hard too =]
terrydactill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

Hello and welcome

Well done on the healthy life changes you've made so far

Is your goal of 18-14 stones possible by Christmas? Well, I don't think it's quite impossible but I think it is unlikely you will lose 4 stone by then. To give you a rough idea I was 19 and a half stones back in March when I restarted trying to lose weight and am now 16 and a half stones. Getting this far has taken 50 minutes of an exercise dvd up to 6 days a week (was less at first) and cutting calories to an average of 1400-1500 (probably a little low for my weight especially as some days I end up with less though some days I end up with more) and drinking between 6 and 10 glasses of water a day. I've had to be very dedicated about these things and will have to for a very long time to keep up with anything like the rate of weight loss I have had.

I would probably aim for about 16 stones by Christmas (and any more in a bonus). I'm currently aiming for 15 stones by Christmas (though may make that lower - maybe 14stones - if my weight loss doesn't slow down). 1-2lb a week is considered healthy weight loss which means roughly 20-40lb is very realistic if you work hard all the time between now and Christmas. You will probably lose more the first few weeks though.

As for how to lose weight, I calorie count. It means I can eat what I want as long as it's within planned calories though I try and keep refined carbs low most days and try to make healthy eating choices. Have a look on the calorie counting forum more more information. With a lot to lose you are better to start exercise too if you aren't already even if it's just increasing how much you walk.

You say you eat the same as your thin friends. Are you sure you really do? Check your portion sizes - maybe you eat more breakfast than they do, or more at a different meal than they do. It's so easy to give yourself slightly too much and that can mean the difference between maintaining weight and losing weight. If you really are eating the same as them it may also be that you aren't eating enough. Not eating enough could be making you want to binge. If they are 9 or 10 stones and you are 18 stones your body needs more calories at this stage than theirs. If you write down everything you eat over the next week you'll be able to see where you can make healthier choices, where you're eating too much and where you are eating too little.

As for the binge eating, there's a forum here for that where you can get extra support. I am also a (recovered I hope but certainly recovering) binge eater. Yes stopping binge eating makes a big difference to your plan being successful. You should find a lot of helpful information there.

Read all the information you can here - everyone's very nice and very supportive and you will learn a lot form the weight boards. Remember any weight off is better than it being on so even if you only lose 1stone by Christmas instead of 4 that's going to make a big difference to how you look and feel. You'll find most people here work in lbs rather than stones except for those of us in the UK If you too are in the UK then come and join us on that forum also
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #3  

hello =]
thanx sooo much for the reply. its really made think about about it and i've started today =]
going to write down everything i eat for a week adn see where i am going wrong. does the times i eat make much difference? and what type of food shoudl i eat when? i heard its not good to have carbs in the eveining/night? dunno if thats true though.
the change begins =]
i'l keep posted how i'm doing also, i love the possitive feedback on here, it makes me erally wonna go for it =]
thanx for helping

....and yeah i'm from the UK. i need to update my profile haha
terrydactill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #4  

Just wanted to welcome you to the site!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:51 AM   #5  

Thanx for the welcome message!

what snacks do you recommend?
i prefere savoury to sweet by the way