Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #1  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Default Sigh..

My dilemma...

First let me give a little background info. I met my boyfriend via the net almost 6 years ago. For 4.5 of those years, I lied about how I look because I was so ashamed. Fast forward to last July. He got very aggravated of waiting for me to decide to move from Tennessee to New York(where he lives) - remember, I was never planning to move because I had sent him fake pictures all those years, but that didn't mean I don't love him because I do so very much. So anyway, he drove from New York to Tennessee to have me move in with him. Granted, before he made it all the way to Tennessee, I did tell him the truth and send him a picture of the real me, all 330 pounds. He didn't turn around and smoke a trail back to New York, instead he said he loves me and he still came and got me and my doggy.

He did promise me before he came to get me that I would never have to meet any of his family or friends until I was more comfortable. Not that he has ever acted embarrassed or ashamed of me or to be with me but rather my self esteem is bottomed out and I couldn't stand even the thought of meeting others. He also has a son, from a previous marriage, who is 12 years old now. He gets his son every other weekend. They stay at my boyfriend's parents because it is easier for me (due to the fact that I am still embarrassed with myself, when I look in the mirror I still see 330 pounds even though I have lost over 130 to date).

I have been here a year. Now it is summer time and his son is out of school and wants to be able to spend time at his dad's house with his dad which is understandable. What I need to know is how do I make myself okay with myself so I can handle meeting my boyfriend's son and parents?

I know this may seem like a trivial thing and I should just get over it but for me it is not so easy and I am sure some of you will understand. When you have been so fat for so long and have had so many incidents of people making fun of you then it sorta makes you shy away from meeting people.

Any advice/tips will be taken to heart and greatly appreciated.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

oh sweetie, what an amazing and romantic story. I would just believe that if your bf loves you, NO MATTER WHAT his family or son thinks--it doesn't matter.

Just try to be your sweet self around them.

I am in a relationship where my SO parents hated me! I mean kept us from being together. They didn't understand. AT first SO and I snuck around. Then he finally told me "they will have to learn to accept you".

Now they are such wonderful people to me. They are very gracious and kind. I know where my SO got his good qualities from!

they may have to warm up to you. And if they find out about the lying part--they might take a little longer to warm up and they might misjudge you.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/ticker/140

Height: 5'4

ohk...i looked at your pictures so firstly let me say YOU LOOK GREAT!!!

now to the real subject at hand i would say, do it..because the longer the wait, the more awkward you might feel..if it was me, i would think "these people probably think im a freak for waiting so long...will they hate me?..will they judge me?"..etc. etc..the point is-you have come so far-and have soooo much to be proud of-i think they will love you-and you should do it
bitetoobreakkskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

jendiet & bitetoobreakkskin -

Ya'll don't know how much I appreiate the feedback. I am so friggin nervous and worried and I don't want to be stressing over this so much. I just feel like...I dunno..I don't want to be ridiculed and laughed at behind my back. And I don't want to be an embarrassment for him even though he assures me I am not, I feel different on the inside

Last edited by Onederchic; 07-17-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Dear chic, I think you really need to remember and understand that you are not 330 pounds anymore. Feel the fear and do it anyway, because sooner or later you are going to have to have people over and meet them. Might as well be sooner!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

You have come too far to let your fear of a 12 year old boy keep you from enjoying time with the family of the one you love! It takes amazing personal strength and courage to do what you've done and change your life as dramatically as you have, don't back down now. And I'd wager that your personality will shine through any insecurities you have, and you might even have fun! Think of this as just another roadblock, and ride the high you felt yesterday after weighing in - invite his son over and remind yourself that you're a beautiful person, inside and out. You'll be great!

bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You need to work on your self esteem and of course you know it. Even if you were 330 lbs, you have no reason to be ashamed. I met my husbands parents when I weighed just under 300 lbs. With my previous bf, I met all his friends when I weighed 350.

You just have to not let negative thoughts about yourself invade your mind. If a negative thought about yourself comes in, you push it out and say something good about yourself.

Trust me I understand, I was a 300 lb 14 year old and became morbidly obese around the age of 8.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #8  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

You need to begin to embrace your own beauty! I don't think you are seeing yourself as you truly *are*!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

I'm also 5'2" and know just how it feels to be 190+ pounds and meet people. And I know that it's easier said than done.
I also met someone in NY and moved there from Chicago to be with him and the first time I met his family I was extremely nervous. There was the "OMG I don't have anything to wear that doesn't make me look huge!" thought. Followed by the "Maybe I can pretend to be sick?!" thought. And many other negative thoughts...
Well, I met his family and I can tell you this with certainty - all that will matter to his family is if he's HAPPY with you. (Unless they're jerks, in which case, it wouldn't matter if you were 100 pounds.)
Meet his family and welcome them into your life if you value this man and want him to continue being part of your life. He's already given you time to lose alot of weight and been supportive of you. It's not fair to him if you don't bite the bullet and welcome his family into your home and your life after a year of living together.

And off topic, somehow my ticker doesn't show up correctly. Bummer cookies.

Last edited by CamiToo; 07-17-2009 at 03:17 PM.
CamiToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 301/188.4/180

Height: 5' 10"

How much courage did it take to get to where you are now? You can do this. Taking the first step is the hardest part. Here is a great bit of advice from Marianne Williamson from her book, A Return To Love:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

Get out there and really live the life you have worked so hard to build and don't apologize for even one second of it.

Pamela
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 301/188.4/180

Height: 5' 10"

Ok, that was the nice part. This is the tough love. I think you are using your fear as nice, comfortable shield, just like you did your fat. Guess what? you are going to get hurt by people. That is just the way life is and it is going to happen to you for the rest of your life. You don't get to be immune from that just because you have had a tough life in some ways. You are also holding yourself and your boyfriend hostage to your fear in many ways. How long can that last before support turns to resentment? If you can't make it alone, see someone and talk it through. Maybe a good first step would be to change your name on this forum. You are no longer chunky, get a name that reflects your new body. Get on with your life, woman!

Last edited by Pamela; 07-17-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #12  
Baby Stepping Along

Hey Chic,
I'm so sorry this is such a struggle for you. I'm sure that the isolation has been very difficult for you. I agree that you aren't seeing yourself very clearly. I was wondering if you have sought any professional help in this arena. I have gotten through some pretty tough stuff with the help of talk therapy and I just wonder if you might find some helpful. You are such a loyal supporter here on the forums and say the nicest things to people here it is sad for me to think you aren't saying similar things to yourself. I'm positive that you can turn that around with a little help. Big hugs. I hope you can embrace your new family very soon.

Peg
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 203 / 171 / 133

Height: 64"

You need to do this not just because it's the right thing for you, but because it's right for the 12-year old. He is going through life not understanding and probably wondering what's wrong with him that you don't want to meet him.

If your BF's family and son have never given you any reason to think they won't accept you, then it will be OK. Just keep reminding yourself that this is not the past, and this boy has never hurt you.

It's harder the longer you wait. Tell your BF you want to see his son ASAP, and set a date. Keep reminding yourself it'll be OK, because it will be OK.

You can do this, and you HAVE to do it.

(BTW, as I know you already know, they would have accepted you at 330 pounds, too!)
RMatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'-8"

You are who you are whether you think you are fat or thin. Yes some peoples first impression of people over-weight is wrong but so are the impressions people have of thin people too. Be yourself let them know the real you and they should never care what you weigh or what you use to weigh. Sounds like he loves his dad and when he see's how much his dad loves you he will accept you too.
sweetandspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #15  
Resident Pixie

Thanks everyone for the responses and advice. I know I should just breathe and let it all happen and know it will all be okay. I can be my own worst enemy and judge myself the harshest. I need to love me more, I suppose and have more confidence in myself and the love my boyfriend has for me.

Hugs
Michelle