Day one down...Just needin' some support

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hey everyone.

So about a month ago I started trying to lose some weight, I lost 5 pounds, only stuck to it for a week and a half and ended up quitting once again. Today, after much self assessment, was day one of my new attempts. I'm hoping this one will last much longer. I got on the scale today to get a starting weight and I gained the 5 pounds I lost from last time and gained 3 more So it is certainly time for me to get a grip on my life and get the ball rolling!

I started the C25K program and I did really well nutrition wise so I had a good day. I'm just trying to change my 'all or nothing' mentality that has messed me up so many times in the past. Before, I would go an hour on the tredmill and then go do weight training. I would come home exhausted and overwhelmed. So today I only did 30 minutes on the tredmill doing the C25K week one day one and I'm going to alternate that with weight training. In the back of my mind my 'all or nothing' is screaming at me: "that wasn't enough exercise! you'll never lose weight if you keep working like that!" And I'm trying my hardest to ignore it. I need to be able to make changes that I can stick to forever. On top of that, my TOM started today as well and I've just been GRUMPY as heck and really wanting to comfort myself with food! But instead of coming home after the gym and going for the cookies, I cleaned up the kitchen, journaled about my day, got a shower, and got my lunch and breakfast ready for tomorrow. So I'm doing good so far! I'm just feeling a bit disheartened because of my mood....darn hormones...
  • Oh, my gosh. You totally rocked it! So many things right. You exercised, you recognize the destructive voice and ignored it, you did journaling that is soooo good for the emotional processing and you avoided emotional eating and you planned and took care of things for day 2. Give yourself a big hug and I'm pretty sure you mentioned a SO so go get one from him too. You don't have to tell him why. Just say you want one...I bet you get it! Start stringing days like today together and there will be no stopping you!

Peg
  • Hey, Eve! great going on the first day!

I so have PMS today, and am seeing pre-week water gain grrrr, so I'm right there with you, ha! Hormones can be so sucky. We'll both get through it.

and really, the first day going well, that's a great feeling and you should be proud of yourself.
  • Thank you ladies! I really needed some encouragement! Lemme know if I can ever return the favor. And I will definitely be getting that hug when my hubby gets home from work.
  • oh wow--you are fighting fierce...just keep it up. I agree 30 min on the treadmill and alternating strength training is a good idea.

I used to do that. I'd go to the Y. I'd cycle for 30 min. Go swim for 30 min Then work out with weights for an hour! You bet I got burnt out quickly.

Now I do light-moderate cardio (on empty stomach) then I do a thorough but quick weight/ resistance routine. I don't feel burdened by on it except on days that I am sleepy.

As a fellow all or nothinger--you're making the correct steps to overcome that--obviously it doesn't work--I've been trying to lose the same weight for 3 years! I am determined to do it this time--and already broke through my failure point i had for 3 years!
  • Ms Evel, you've done SO GREAT!!! A new mindset ALWAYS takes time and practice, so you're off to a great start. Keep it up, and let us know how it goes!

Kira
  • Sounds like you've had a fabulous first day!! You are laying a wonderful foundation, therefore setting yourself up for long term success.

I'm excited for you! I look forward to hearing about your continued and steady progress.

• GO BABY GO!...GO BABY GO!

(I said that to myself probably 100 times a day during my first month of weight loss )

"It only takes a spark to get a fire going".
  • You're gonna do great, I just know it. I'll share a piece of wisdom I was told when I first started, that kept me going : It Gets Easier.

The first few months of a diet are completely crazy. Your body is going to be pulling you this way and that, up and down, moodswings and weight shifts, utter madness. But if you stay patient, you'll get through it, and things will get easier. You'll find your stride, and it'll just click.

So go get 'em! Rawr!
  • You did amazingly! It's not about being perfect, it's about finding the balance that allows you to be healthy and happy - in every sense - long term. I think your current plan is very sensible to avoid burnout. Keep making small positive changes and they WILL accumulate into subtantive results.
  • Awesome start! and you get some extra brownie points for getting your tomorrow's food prepped up and ready to go. That is SO IMPORTANT. I don't go to bad without having the next day's big salad and lunch in Rubbermaid containers in the fridge. Only rarely I make the salad in the morning (most of the time, I can't because I am at the gym in the morning). Also, make sure you have some healthy snacks at work for when you get suddenly very hungry, so that you can resist the temptation of the vending machine. Almonds, keshus, walnuts, string cheese, etc.

This time, you will do it!!!
  • It sounds like you are heading in the right direction and off to a good start Eve.

I just "started over" last week, and it's not easy erasing years of bad habits and those nasty things that inner voice says, but it can be done. Being here is positive proof of that, so we are definitely in the right place.

I think planning is a big part of success, so it's good you are doing that. I find planning at least for the next day, and always having good snacks on hand are helping me a lot.

I too have always had that all or nothing attitude, and believe for me personally, it hasn't gotten me far. It only discouraged me in a negative way and made me give up sooner. It's good to block that voice out ! I know now, that whatever little positive steps I make in the right direction are good

Keep checking in here for support and ideas. You can do it !

• You did wonderfully! Keep reminding yourself, this weight didn't go on in a day, and it's not coming off in a day. You're doing so well, just keep going, we're all here to support you!

I can totally relate to "all or nothing". I would start on monday, eat barely 1200 calories, work out like a lunatic, and by thursday i'd be exhausted, undernourished and reward myself on Friday by a huge dinner out w/a few glasses of wine.. And then since I screwed up Friday, well my Saturday was shot, too. And you can't really START a diet on Sunday, right? So i'd have gained back what I lost & just repeat the cycle over and over. (isn't that the definition of insanity?)
    This time, i'm all moderation all the time. And it's helped more than anything else has in the past. I've lost a very respectable 10 lbs in 5 weeks. I track all my calories. I try and get 20-30 mins of cardio in every day. Sometimes I work out w/my 8 lb weights, and I'm not giving up if I have one meal off my plan. I'm just going to keep plugging away. Because even if I only lose 1 lb a week, by Jan I'll be down 30 lbs. That's nothing to sneeze at Boy, i've rambled.
    Good luck! And great job! You can do this xoxo
  • Thanks everyone! You peeps sure do know how to empower! These two days have felt so relaxed, unlike all the other times i tried to lose weight. I was always in such a panic, constantly wondering if I was doing everything right or if I should have ate that ONE extra almond or if I ate at 7pm i would keep myself awake til 11 even though I was exhausted because I read that you shouldn't eat within 4 hours of bed time... etc. Now I'm starting small and only doing what I feel I can live with and best of all, I'm not obsessing as much!
  • Good for you Eve. Those dreaded weight loss "rules" are for the birds! Don't worry your pretty little head about doing everything perfect.

Here is a partial list of the weight loss rules I have broken, and still managed to lose a lot of weight in a relatively short period of time:

1. I sometimes have eaten within an hour of bed time.
    2. I don't drink quarts of water daily
    3. I don't exercise regularly, (often, but not daily, and not at all at first)
    4. I mix carbs with protein
    5. I've drank more than one diet soda in a day
    6. I've saved calories up for weekends and holidays
    7. I've gone below 1200 calories
    8. I've gone above 2000 calories
    9. I've guessed, eyeballed and estimated calories (not often, but some)
    10. I've eaten until I was full and am still a member of the clean plate club.
    11. I ALWAYS eat the yolk.

All these helpful little weight loss tips might help some people, but they are not nessary for a successful and healthy weight loss.