Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 09:51 PM   #16  
Dancing those pounds away

Good evening friends.

It is soooo nice to see old faces along with the new ones.
It reminds me of my Girl Scout days....
"make new friends... but keep the old
One is silver and the other is gold"

Mary... I did a little gambling myself today. I also alotted $20 and only came home with $8.50
I was up to $40 several times... but did not quit soon enough. LOL

Andria... you sound like you are right back on track.
It is soo good to see you again.

Baylee... take good care of yourself. That heat is bad enough... but add breathing problems and that is not good.
It sounds like you had a great time yesterday, got exercise today cleaning up, and was smart enough to get that food out of the house too. You are one smart cookie.

Lucky... I am so jealous of your tomatoes. Every year I swear I am going to plant them... and every year I don't.

Kat... you are getting a lot of swimming in today. Way to go.
I went to the lake but did not swim. It was so hot here yesterday I would have swam in a ditch if I found one. LOL
today has been pretty nice.

Sara,,, what an accomplishment getting hubby to walk with you... and for over an hour too. Hang on to that saint. LOL

Oh oh.. I have a phone call... gotta run.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:58 AM   #17  

Sadly I have to go back to work today. Two weeks was NOT long enough.

It is to be over 100 here today!!!! All of you non-Minnesotans take note because in a couple months I will be whining about the COLD temperatures here!!!

I don't have my "new" diet plan book yet but will just try to drink more water (at 100 it shouldn't be too hard) today.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:48 AM   #18  

I am busy running in circles trying to get everything done.
Don't have time to post but just wanted to touch base.
Sooooo... TAG ... your it.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:53 AM   #19  
a work in progress...

Default Now hear this...

Hey all...

Now that it is July, summer is OFFICIALLY here...(to me, anyway!) In honor of this auspicious occasion, I propose that you think about what kind of cute little summer outfit you'd like to be wearing, when you reach goal...and then carry yourself as if you were already in that outfit...walk with your head held high, shoulders back, chest out, stomach in, with long, confident strides...don't wait until you are "at goal" to be proud of who you are, or to present yourself in the best possible way. Accentuate your best features. Feel good about yourself. Why go through all the trouble of dieting and improving a "hopeless case?" Be the best that you can be, NOW, and you will only get better!

OK...pep talk over...back to work!
Old 07-01-2002, 02:52 PM   #20  

Thanks Kat for that pep talk. I agree with you 100% !!!!
I always called it "Act as if"
Act as if I weighed 185 lbs
Act as if I owned the world
Act as if I were a fit, healthy swimmer.
Walk with my head up proud.
Make eye contact with people.
SMILE

It works ladies.... give it a try.

Baylee... great exercise tips. I remember good ole Jack.
His wife was also a fitness nut. He was always sincere in his efforts to convert more of us back to exercising.

Okay... got to go again.
Busy, busy, busy around here.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:19 PM   #21  
You and Me in 2003

Just a quicky. The interview went well. I'll know by the first of next week if I got the job. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me
Old 07-02-2002, 12:43 AM   #22  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! I haven't read everyone so I can't make personal replies tonight, sorry! I'm sure everyone's got lots of stuff going on that I should mention and I feel bad that I'm not!

But this is the first time in a long time that I really wanted to post. I had a real heart to heart with a dear friend the other day and have decided that July 1st was a good day to give this old 'healthy lifestyle' a go again.

It was a trying day but I was able to rise victorious!!! I was able to pass the Dairy Queen and the peanut butter cups at the store, both some major down falls for me lately.

I started this morning with strawberries and a little dollup of FF Cool Whip. I had some leftover grilled chicken salad for lunch. An apple for a snack. A glass of Chai tea. I made a huge grilled chicken salad for dinner with Craisins, mini carrots, grape tomatoes, Mandarin oranges and of course, grilled chicken and lettuce. It was wonderful. And then this evening for a snack I had a cup and a half of Crunch 'n Munch.

I'm waaaay under my WW points for the day.....and YES, I journalled..........just saving room for the rest of the week!

One day down, one more just around the corner! I had forgotten how good it feels to be in CONTROL!!!!

Well girls, I can't believe that I got out of bed just to tell you this, I just couldn't sleep without telling you all about it. It's the little victories that add up.

"You may have a fresh start at any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down." - Mary Pickford
Old 07-02-2002, 03:34 AM   #23  

Hi there!

Weekend was very productive. I did yardwork on Saturday and did some sewing on Sunday. I made a peasant blouse style short dress out of Hawaiian print. It turned out perfectly. I felt cool and slim in it. It's wonderful to cut the pattern exactly. No extra inch allowances. Tomorrow is my dad's one year anniversary of his death. I thought of him today. Sometimes being outside and the light of a july morning will strike a memory vividly.

What are your plans for fourth of july? We'll barbeque. I'll make shish kebobs. Will have a full week between work and get togethers. Sunday is a neat rummage/plant sale. I hope to get large cement flower pots. Always open to more plants too. Everything is quite lush even though it's high summer. It could be the fertilizer every two weeks. My shasta daisys are thriving. I'll try to post a picture of my secret garden. Speaking of gardens, my mom wanted to get me a garden stone with my name. I went to home depot on saturday and bought an octogonal stepping stone. I stenciled ivy leaves and flowers/dragonflies. My garden...It's the first stepping stone as you enter my sg. Plant therapy does wonders...

Have a great tuesday,
Malia

PS Mikey in my sg
Old 07-02-2002, 07:55 AM   #24  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Morning everyone

I am so glad to be back here! In just over 24 hours there has been so much inspiration posted. It really feels like coming home.

Yesterday I drank my water and took baby steps into journaling. We have candy vending machines about 4 feet in front of my desk, and it was funny to actually think about how my relationship with them has been evolving. At first, I could ignore them for weeks at a time. Then I convinced myself it was ok to indulge a bit on a stressful day. I deserved a reward, right? Then it turned into .25 a day for a little handful of something. I realized yesterday that I had actually been spending .75 to 1.00 a day up until a month ago. That is quite a jump, and a whole lot of calories I wasn't accounting for every day. My job really was feeling that stressful, and I had convinced myself the daily treat was a necessity.
Well, the big change came about when the pool opened again and water aerobics started up. I am such a huge proponent of daily exercise! My attitude has improved 100%, and the job stresses aren't ruling my life. And yes, I'm back to looking at those candy machines and realizing their little sweet tidbits don't make me feel any better or make the day go easier.
Go Me!

It is fun to see all of you talking about gardening as well. My tomatoes are doing so well this year! I also planted herbs and filled alongside a walkway with flowers. Taking care of them soothes the soul somehow. Wonder what it is about playing in the dirt that makes me feel so good about myself. For those of you without space or time, I'd suggest buying pre-planted pots of flowers or tomatoes or whatever you like. Just the little bit of time watering them feels great.

I'm off to do some writing now. Next article for the paper is due Wednesday, and I'm severely conflicted on what I should write about this time. Ack!

Andria
Old 07-02-2002, 08:00 AM   #25  

Malia, Mickey is sooo cute and your garden looks so beautiful. I am jealous.

I got my "Protein Power" book but it is 434 pages so I have some serious reading to do. I looked at a couple chapters and it is a pretty restrictive way to eat. Only free range chicken & eggs, and organically grown everything else. Where I am it is nearly impossible to find these things. Maybe I will try Zoning while reading this book. I feel full of excuses.....

Congrats, Thin, for chosing healthy living .... I have chosen it, I just haven't started to do it.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:50 AM   #26  
a work in progress...

Thumbs down Good Morning, Good Morning!

Whoa...it's gonna be another scorcher today! High 90s with the heat index over 100! Yikes...Thank you Lord, for air conditioning...may the freon never run dry!

I took my own advice yesterday...went shopping and bought a few outfits for summer. My sister in law sent me a $100.00 gift certificate for my birthday...for the 'Avenue' (fat chick store, she understands!) I picked up mostly shirts, and a cute (if you can call anything size 22 "cute!") pair of light blue denim capris. I actually even bought a few sleeveless shirts...usually a in my wardrobe, due to those damn "bingo arms." (You know, the ones that flap in the breeze when you wave them furiously, yelling, "Bingo!") I must say, my arms have toned up a bit with exercise...they're not matchsticks, by any means, but I decided that I deserve to and will wear nice things...if I have to be fat (temporarily, of course) I don't have to schlump around in ugly old shorts and T shirts, thinking it doesn't matter. Boy, it is hard trying to find things in a "large size" store that are not covered in big, scary prints...or have some sort of adornment, ie: ruffles, cowl necks, sequins, cutsie appliques...etc. I would love to design large fashions...just straight-forward, classic, clean styles. Maybe I should take up sewing, huh, Malia? Your dress sounds so summery and pretty. I haven't sewn anything, other than scout patches on uniforms and an occasional button, since seventh grade Home Ec.

Food is good...Exercise could be a little better. I really need to do something every day. I plan on hitting the 10:00 step class this morning. Thanks to inspiration from the article you shared, Baylee, I was doing squats and leg lifts as I cooked dinner last night! (I just love the image of that woman doing lunges all the way to the bathroom!) Sometimes, when I'm catching up on posts, I use dumbells that I keep right under the computer desk and work the old biceps/triceps...for the bingo arms, of course.

My goodness, I'm wordy this morning...still revved up from work, I guess.

Mary , good luck with the job...fingers are crossed for you!

Thin, Time to refocus! Good for you. It sounds as though you've made a good new start...keep it up!

Lucky, have you tried the points system with Weight Watchers? It really is a good, basic starter...you get to eat practically everything, accounted for, of course. I still keep track of points with my plan, just so I know I'm on the right track.

Andria Congrats on conquering the "call of the candy machine!" I hear ya on "playing in the dirt therapy"...I planted plum tomatoes and basil, never expecting a thing...and was SO excited to see 2 or 3 little green buggers staring to form!

SaraJoy, how cool you convinced dh to walk with you...it's like pulling teeth to get mine to walk...he doesn't know it yet, but we will be walking to the local fireworks display tomorrow night...it's about 4 or 5 blocks from here, you'd think it was on the moon...the big whiner!

2cute, still busy? You're usually here before me in the morning...you must be gearing up for your weekend away...

[SIZE=HUGE]TINA...ARE YOU STILL OP??? WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU???[/SIZE]

Joanne,How are the fires? It's amazing how far the wind carries the smoke and how it affects us. After 9/11, the most ungodly smell from the WTC hung in the air here for a long time...really affected those with respiratory ailments. Keep safe.

Michelle, Susie, Duckie... who else is missing? Come on back and join the fun...we miss you guys...you KNOW strict adherence to any diet plan is certainly encouraged, but not mandatory to post! What's new? We miss you guys!

Well, it will be a miracle if I can post this lengthy tome...let me "copy" first to see if it works...

Have a great day, gang...keep cool!

PS...it worked, but I missed my step class! #&*@#

Last edited by katrinabgood; 07-02-2002 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:24 AM   #27  
Michigan Old-Timer

Good Morning, everyone!

Ok, I'm going to try to get back to some of you. I hope I don't miss anyone. I'm going to toggle between two screens and see if that helps. Some of these replies will probably be to very old stuff, but at least I'm reading!

2cute: I'm so sorry to hear about your mom and the nursing home decision. I know from experience how hard that can be. It's even more so when you will continue to second guess the decision. In your favor, at least, is that you are having your mom make the decision, with my dad we basically 'committed' him and that was hugely hard, he couldn't understand why he was there and there were times when I wasn't sure he should be. I'm sending BIG [[[HUGS]]], because that is all I can do for you.

LuckyLadyBug: Ok, girlfriend, the bottom line is EVERY diet JOURNALS!!! And until WE get that through OUR heads (notice you are not alone) we are not going to get this ball rolling! So let's just DO IT!!! * BTW, the story about studying Russian is a HOOT! I can't believe you went on for 3 years and all you have to show for it is: wall, ceiling, red, bathroom etc. Good for you starting your account on FitDay. I think WE will find that journalling is going to be the ticket! Let's GO FOR IT!!! (No, I'm not doing FitDay, but I am using my paper journal this week.)

Michelle: WOW, have you been on the go! Just burning up the highways on the east coast. Be safe, my friend. Get in here when you can.

Baylee: 4#'s is FABULOUS! Good for you!!! * I loved the 25 Phrases of Wisdom....and ain't they the truth!!! * I bet your party was wonderful. Did anyone notice the inside out tent? That must have been interesting! * I just know you're going to enjoy the rest of the week reconnecting with your friend from California. Enjoy!

Katrina: Nice to have that private pool waiting for you. I've wanted a pool in my yard all my life. Well, a pool, a pony and a piano. Never got either one! Are you feeling sorry for me yet?

Mary: Nice romantic get away: you in the hot tub and DH watching boxing! There's something wrong with this picture! * Somewhere in my travels I missed that you were looking for a new job. What's this about? Please catch me up.

Prism: 2#'s WooHoo! * I will be thinking of you all day today. I know how hard it will be. My father would have been 90 last Friday and mom had a mass said for him. I hope you make it through the day without too many tears. [[[HUGS]]] * Thank you for sharing your Secret Garden, how lovely.

YoYo Mom: Thanks for jumping in and posting about 2cute's babies. You said it sooooo well. "Two kids at those ages would wear out a 20 year old!" That is sooooo true.

SaraJoy: First, let me say, 23#'s this month! Woooo Doggie! That IS wonderful!!! * I bet you're going through the out of work blues with you hubby, aren't you? I know how they go: it starts with "I feel so sorry for myself" or "They have no idea what all I did and I'm sure they'll call me back to work any day now". That goes on for awhile until they figure out that there won't be any call. Then they go into 'job hunting' mode. It took my DH 3 months before he realized that they weren't going to call. * What did you think of Monster's Ball? I thought, 'geez, it's gotta be good, it got all those Academy Awards', well I thought it was one of the worst wastes of 2 hours I had ever spent. I know, you loved it, right? I never agree with the critics, just my nature, I guess.

Andria: Good to see you back! It sounds like your life has been just rolling on since you've been absent. No wonder you have no time. I'm glad the knee is doing better. Good for you being in the pool. That must be soooo theraputic.

Joanne: Good to see you back around as well! This place is kinda like Motel 6, don't ya think? No matter how long you're away, "We'll leave the light on for ya!"

Well girls, I've been here a couple of hours again, catching up. Hope I didn't miss anyone. If I did, please forgive. Mom is going to work with me today. I have a restaurant to do for lunch. They have the most awsome Mandarin Chicken salads. That is what I'm setting my sights on. It's time for vitamins and an apple and water to wash them down. You all have a good day!

"I became more courageous by doing the very things I needed to be courageous for -- first, a little, and badly. Then, bit by bit, more and better. Being avidly -- sometimes annoyingly---curious and persistent about discovering how others were doing what I wanted to do." - Audre Lorde
Closed Thread