Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #16  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Wow! ALL of you have brought up great, valid points that I didn't even think of! Makes me all the more thankful I found this site

ThighsBeGone, I am not sure if I could intentionally call attention to it either. I do talk to my husband and mother (mostly babble on and on about it, lol) but that is about it. Other than immediate family, I don't even think anyone else knows I am "dieting".

Nooch, that is so funny! I am glad you responded appropriately, LOL.

Counting down, the clothes could have a lot to do with it. I still wear my big t-shirts and capris around the house and it really could be the size issue. And then when I go out (except for the convenience store) I go for the fitted, tailored look.

Danni and Txestella, I think you are right. We all tend to be very wrapped up and obsessed with ourselves that these things can easily slip by.

Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words. It sure helps to know that a lot of you have been there, done that.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 172/150/145

Height: 5'7"

I'd bet that these people never thought about your weight as much as you did. If you had GAINED 16 pounds they probably wouldn't have noticed. But now they see you and they just notice that you look especially GREAT!! It isn't a coincidence that you are getting so many compliments these days. Your weight isn't the first thing that comes to their minds, because they never focused on it before. Let yourself glow in the compliments!! Feeling good about yourself is better than highlights!
pucedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 AM   #18  

Height: 5'11"

Another thing to keep in mind is that sometimes people *do* notice, but are not saying anything out of politeness. After I had lost 20 some pounds, I confided in a female co-worker and she exclaimed that she HAD noticed and kept meaning to say something, but there were always men around (we work with mostly men) so she didn't want to say anything.

Now I've lost 35 or so and several women friends have noticed, so I'm guessing the male co-workers have as well but they're not saying anything. Most of them are married and this is a conservative town, so I can't imagine that they'll be saying anything to me about it ever. But I'm OK with that, because I notice!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:20 AM   #19  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

They definitely noticed the loss, they just didn't *realize* that was what changed
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:56 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

Something about hair and weight loss! I had my hair cut after losing another 25lb (can't remember how much in total but 25 after restarting this year) and my husband told me week later that I look thinner with my hair shorter. I just said "nothing to do with the 25lb of weight I lost then"
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
And then, only after I finally ditched my clothes, and bought some new second hand clothing that FIT my new body.
That's when people really notice. Clothes that fit properly work wonders. I've been getting a lot of comments recently 'you've lost more weight'. Well I really doubt that people are noticing the 3 or 4lbs I've lost since Easter but more likely that I'm wearing all new summer clothes.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #22  

Daisy; you have a good point. Although 166 was still overweight (so is my now 150), it wasn't as unsightly as my high weight of 193.

Windchime, I do think women tend to gush over it more. It may have something more to do with we are more sensitive to it. A lady around the corner was about my size when she started walking a little over a year ago. This past winter she was still sticking to it and she looked fabulous. I never said anything like "hey, you've lost a ton of weight" or anything like that even though she had lost quite a bit. But I did make it a point to tell her she looked great. I could just see her face light up. Now that I think of it, it was just like Danni said. When did this happen? I had seen her walking almost everyday and didn't really notice the loss until winter. But my husband would have never said anything to her out of politeness.

Arctic Mama and Rainbow, I will take the hair compliments anyway, haha. My thyroid disease totally messed my hair up over the years (which is why I began having the salon chemically straighten my very naturally curly but kinky hair to smooth it out more).

Kitty, it may really be time for me to go shopping. I have a pair of blue jean capris that I kept for some reason from even before I got pregnant with my son over 5 yrs ago. They are an 8 and they fit for the first time. Not just button, but fit. Those and one pair of blue jean bermuda shorts are about the only size 8's I have right now. I am not too swift with taking measurements with a seamstress tape, but I believe I have lost about 9 inches 2 inches above the belly button and about 10 inches 2 inches below the belly button.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #23  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I always lose weight in my face first. I have gotten the hair compliment on several occasions. I always assumed that a thinner face made my hair lay differently.

On to compliments...You wouldn't believe how many men ask my husband about my weight loss, (that have never mentioned it to me). He told me one guy said to him that he would have said something to me, but "Some women are so sensitive about the subject!" He's a bright man. LOL
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #24  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

LOL Lori Bell--people say things to my husband too. He comes home and tells me! Mine of course, isn't as drastic as yours. I didn't even tell my hubby last summer when I started taking care of myself. He noticed the first time in September. We were getting ready for Curriculum Night @ the school, standing in the closet. I had purchased a new blouse and had lost about 30 pounds. He looked at me and said, "your lookin' thinner." I replied, "I am?" LOL.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #25  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Oh I get the hair comment all the time! At least once a week someone comments on my hair "I like your new hair cut" or "I love the new color" or something like that. Truth is I haven't cut or colored my hair in at least 5 months! I think it's just that they can see something is different but they're not necessarily sure what it is and changing one's hair is usually the most common.

Don't be frustrated or upset by their comments because you think they can't see you've lost weight. Even if they can't pinpoint it they HAVE noticed and think you are looking good so take the compliment and enjoy it!
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #26  

Lori, I did lose in my face first also, and then on to the chest. MUCH smaller than before but luckily my husband is more of a butt man, haha.

And yeah, the smart men know to tread lightly. I think the only reason my father in-law commented is because he has thyroid problems too and struggles with his weight tremendously. And then my father just because he is my father.

The dude next door probably commented because he is more sensitive to things like that. He is definitely not into women. He is cool though. Most of his friends are women so he probably hears about a lot of our problems, lol.

On a positive note, when I woke up this morning to make the kids lunches my husband commented on my legs for the first time.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #27  

Height: 5'3"

Your face looks thinner, so they think maybe it's a "new haircut" that is making it look that way. Just focus on the fact that they noticed that you are looking better... however they may think you got that way.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 225/178.5/135

Height: 5'3

Most people do not comment on my weight loss at all, and I've lost like 40 lbs.
Bumbleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I was just about to start a similar thread when I saw this. I find it discouraging that nobody has noticed that I've lost 25lbs. I thought surely someone would see it. I'm wearing the same clothes, the only difference is that 25lbs ago I was bursting out of my pants and now they're very loose.

Not noticing me makes me feel like the weightloss didn't really even happen. I keep questioning myself and thinking that no matter what I'll always look fat to other people.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #30  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

One thought is that if you are wearing the same clothes, then you look the same to people--only you know that those pants are looser.

Get some new clothes--new to you at least--that fit your current size. All kinds of comments will occur.

ay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote