3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Question about weight training? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/175683-question-about-weight-training.html)

dietnlose? 07-01-2009 12:35 PM

Question about weight training?

Hello everyone
I have question about weight training. I mostly want to lose fat and I've been doing an hr of cardio only for the past week. Yesterday I added some weight training and today I went up one pound :(. Should I not do any weight training at all?

luckylindy 07-01-2009 12:43 PM

Totally keep with it! Do both. When you do weight lifting you retain water at first because your muscles are being strained. Keep drinking plenty of fluids and you'll see a difference. My suggestion is to not weigh yourself daily, especially when you start something new to your routine. When I started to incorporate weights into my gym routine, I gained 5 pounds the first but then the second week I lost those 5 pounds plus 2 more. This isnt because I pushed myself or starved myself, it was just my muscles getting used to it. Also, remember...you continue to burn several hours AFTER lifting weights so it is so worth it.

Dont get frustrated...keep up the good work!

Fox 07-01-2009 12:51 PM

Oh absolutely do weight training! In my opinion (and also the opinion of many here as well as many professionals) weight training is essential to losing weight and looking great! Luckylindy is right on with the water retention, your muscles are repairing the small tears from working out and they'll suck up that water and hold onto it! Don't get discouraged and remember it can often take weeks to see the benefits, most things I've read say 4-8 weeks before you start seeing your muscles being more defined or larger.

beerab 07-01-2009 01:02 PM

Muscle burns fat- the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn- keep it up! Drink plenty of water and eat lots of lean protein as well :)

p7eggyc 07-01-2009 01:29 PM

I say apply the 'reasonable man theory' to this one. Is it reasonable to stop an activity known to be healthy due to a single day's weigh in result? I say nope. This is where getting bogged down on the scale number can be a disservice to the other things you are doing that are healthy. You'll find the right balance and there are tons of benefits to lifting weights that will make it worth any sort of temporary backslide you might see on the scale. Keep doing healthy things and the scale will take care of itself is my philosophy.

Peg

Delphi 07-01-2009 02:31 PM

I have been keeping track of my weight daily and diligently for two months and I am ALWAYS up a pound the day after Strength Training...ALWAYS. Rest assured, it is just your muscles retaining water to repair themselves. ;)

dietnlose? 07-02-2009 01:15 AM

Thank you all for comments. I will do my 30 minutes of weight training 3-4times a week from now on :)

DCHound 07-02-2009 10:14 AM

Don't work the same muscle groups two days in a row. Your muscles need a day to recover.

BarbPA 07-02-2009 08:46 PM

Keep it up!!! I've lost 110 pounds while weight training 3x per week! Yep...I'm often up a tad after a hard weight training session, but it's just some water retention. You need to build the muscle. You'll feel great, your body will love it...it's good stuff...especially if you enjoy it! :D

Shouka 07-02-2009 10:44 PM

Don't forget as you gain muscle tone and lose fat the scale may not move very much. Muscle weighs alot, so don't let the numbers fool you. A pound of muscle is way healther than a pound of fat! Good luck!:D