Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #16  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

WOW, you guys are wonderful. You've really re-charged my batteries.

It's funny, isn't it, how you can know something in your head, and believe the opposite in your heart? As much as I rant against the inaccurate cultural stereotypes and expectations of weight loss, I'm still a part of that culture and sometimes have those expectations and stereotypes.

I tell you all "1/4 of a pound in a week, is much better progress than you realize," and then I have to tell myself the same thing (and fight the urge to add a "but" statement that negates the achievement of the 1/4 lb).

There are just so many stereotypes or cultural norms of dieting, that are difficult not to accept as gospel. Like avoiding the buffets. It's good advice really, especially when you find yourself piling the plate sky high. However, a good buffet sometimes is the only "decent" restaurant option.

There were so many great choices, that I didn't feel like I was going to be eating lettuce, while my husband and SIL ate "real food." My only real complaint is that the restaurant is known for it's rather exotic salad dressings, and what do they put on the buffet salad bar - Catalina style french, blue cheese, and buttermilk ranch. Ok, where's the avocado ranch or the cilantro honey vinaigrette.

Ok, just slapped my head in a "duh" (V-8 commercial style) momemt, I could have asked for a side of one of their specialty salad dressings." For as much as I remind everyone (and myself) to think outside the box of dieting tradition, I'm as likely to do or not do, based on what I've done or not done, in the past. Oh, wow - how completely stupid of me. The only thing that kept me from eating more salad (the salad bar really was awesome, there were so many naked, fresh raw vegetables and fruits) was because I was trying to be careful with the high calorie salad dressings (I admit that I'm not fond of a too-dry salad).

I even could have brought my own. I made an exciting discovery in a Dollar Tree store a week ago. Tiny little inch high, 3"x2" plastic food storage containers (like tupperware). They took me back to the 80's, when I would put an entire bottle of salad dressing in my purse. Oh, how I would have loved to have those, then.

Anyway, back on task. This website and all the people on it, are an amazing resource. I think it's very easy to isolate and hide when things aren't going well. I remember so well, avoiding WW and TOPS meetings and even doctor's appointments when I'd gained, because I didn't want anyone to "know."

Maybe it's the fact of not having to look anyone in the eye, but this is not only where I come to celebrate acheivements, but to vent about failures and struggles. Is this place awesome, or what?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #17  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

but often when I see posts and respond - it's not really to the posters that I'm speaking to, but to the part of me inside that feels exactly like the poster.

God yes! I thought I was the only one.

Hey babe HOW'S THAT BOOK COMING??????? Don't make me send you any more threatening personal messages telling you to get off your can and WRITE, woman!!!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #18  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I've said it before - and it bears repeating

Colleen's posts are awesome - she is one of those chickies that always takes time to help the rest of us around here
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #19  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Sometimes I feel like a big imposter when people praise my advice (advice that I'm having so much difficulty following myself). I mean, I think "has anyone noticed how long it's taking me to do this, would they value my opinion, nearly so much, if they realized it's taken me most of my life to learn this stuff and I still can't master it to the point of actually losing more than a lousy couple pounds a month."

I just got some advice from someone in my life to basically "poop or get off the pot," with my weight loss, and it really had me feeling crappy (forgive the pun). Self-doubt and recrimination were starting to rear their ugly heads, and I started second guessing myself.

In essence, I guess there's plenty of reason to "keep sitting on the pot," because in this war, even holding ground is better than losing ground. And that's what I really felt like this person was saying - that the war wasn't worth fighting if I couldn't win it completely.

I've won alot actually. I no longer have sleep apnea, many of my health issues are under better control. I can do more physically, I don't feel like I'm drowning when I sleep on my back - I don't feel like I'm going to explode after eating.....

I feel like many of your posts resonate with me (including but not limited to the above -- can you tell I hang out with lawyers??)

it's comforting to know other people are struggling with the same issues, that I'm not alone -- not that I want anyone else to struggle (!)

it is brave of you to stick to your guns, and voice your opinion, and to go through the process of figuring stuff out and sharing it with others, esp when it comes to diet and weight loss, which people can get very het up about.

in a nutshell, I appreciate what you do too, like so many other ladies/gents here.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #20  
No description available.

If 3FC is the University for Weight Loss, Colleen's posts make up Advanced Change Theory: The Paradigm Shift. I know they have helped shape my journey in a very positive way.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
[B]
Hey babe HOW'S THAT BOOK COMING??????? Don't make me send you any more threatening personal messages telling you to get off your can and WRITE, woman!!!
I am still writing regularly, but trying to pack for a move (and a trip to Illinois to visit my family). If I don't write first thing in the morning, I often don't "get to it." I find the best time to write is when I wake up a couple hours before hubby (which is most days).
Old 06-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #22  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
An earlier posting of mine Kaplods has the attitude that I want so maybe I should read through several of her posts.
I hope that it is not bad to quote yourself.

Colleen, you have been a big inspiration for me, especially during the times when I get impatient and/or jealous of others who are losing weight so much faster than I am. At those times, I often look for your old postings to remind myself that this is not a race.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

I am also one of your fans! You have a wonderful way of putting your thoughts into words. It truly is a gift...as are you!
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #24  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Colleen and I go way back....

C-Ya at Steak and Shake "AWESOME ONE"...

just kidding.....

'bout Steak and Shake!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #25  

Mmmm Steak and Shake chili mac. So good (as long as you eat it before the orange grease congeals.)