Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

Initially, I felt that I was spending more. I spent a lot of money to try new things, especially the pricey ones. But I got bored with them as well and now have gone back to more basic things. I`m in an organic box scheme which is way cheaper than supermarkets. I love some of the tipps which the others gave, too.

I do spend less on impulse buys (they are no longer done) and lunches. I always take a packed lunch now.
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #32  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I think that where you live makes a big difference in how much it costs you to eat healthy and it is backwards to what I used to think. I thought for years that you could eat cheaper in rural areas. My experience now is the opposite.

I live in an urban area so I have many choices as to where I can buy food. I drive by an ALDI's everyday and find good prices on many things there. The grocery stores compete with each other and there is always Walmart.

I recently spent 2 weeks in a small town in rural Mississippi and grocery shopped for my parents and mother-in-laws home. I was so surprised at the price and quality of the fruits and vegetables at the two grocery stores in town. Walmart was a 30 minute drive away and when I made the trip was surprised that the cost of items there were higher than they are at the Walmart where I live.

My father pointed out to me that it was a little early in the summer for the road side stands. Once they are open my parents will be able to get locally grown fresh fruit and vegetables at a good price. He always gets eggs at a good price because he buys them from a friend that has hens. If you don't have a friend like that, you pay a high price at the grocery store.

It goes back to supply and demand. If there is little competition the price of healthy food will be higher than in a location where there is much competition.

However, even the small town in rural Mississippi had a McDonald's and Sonic where you could pick up greasy fast food at a relatively low price! That is until you consider the cost to your health.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote