3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Do you use a pedometer? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/175010-do-you-use-pedometer.html)

Moralia 06-23-2009 02:36 PM

Do you use a pedometer?

I'm debating on buying this pedometer, Omron Pocket Pedometer
HJ-112. It has fabulous reviews and is affordable. Do you use a pedometer? Do you find them helpful for weight loss?

Thanks!!

OnTargetforLife 06-23-2009 03:46 PM

Omron

In my opinion the Omron pedometers are excellent.

I have found them to be very well made and reliable.

MonteCristo 06-23-2009 04:14 PM

I have an Omron (not sure the model) and it works very well.

p7eggyc 06-23-2009 04:30 PM

I used a pedometer extensively in my initial weight loss in 2004. I found it to be a very effective, inexpensive way to motivate myself to move a bit more in little incidental ways (parking further away, taking the long way somewhere, etc) and I believe it was an important tool in my weight loss tool box. I've gotten away from using it but am considering starting to wear it again. I used a goal of an average of 10k steps a day and I couldn't really do that w/o both an intentional walk and the little extra steps during a day.

Peg

Palestrina 06-23-2009 08:03 PM

I use an Omron and I love it. I carry it with me everywhere I go. It's fun to see the numbers, calories, distance, and aerobic steps add up. It's also incentive to walk just a little further and as others have said, take the long way, park further away, and go more places by foot.

time2lose 06-23-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

I found it to be a very effective, inexpensive way to motivate myself to move a bit more in little incidental ways (parking further away, taking the long way somewhere, etc) and I believe it was an important tool in my weight loss tool box.
My thoughts exactly! I have an Omron pocket pedometer and love it.

Truffle 06-23-2009 09:16 PM

That's the model I have, and I love it. I've recently started wearing mine again, and every night I record my steps at Walker Tracker.

It's fun to use that site because it keeps track of miles walked, step averages, etc. etc. etc.

Even though I haven't lost weight yet, I know I'm improving my condition because it's getting a bit easier to increase my daily steps. I've had to start all over again, so I aim for a minimum of 5000 a day right now, and find it quite easy to get at least 6000 most days. I'm working my way up to at least 10,000.

By the way, there's no charge for Walker Tracker, and I'm not connected to it in any way. I just love keeping track of numbers.

I think you'll enjoy the Omron if you get one.

trekkiegirl 06-23-2009 09:39 PM

I have an Omron pocket pedometer, too, the same model you're planning on buying, Moralia. Some days I forget to use it, though. :p I like the fact that I can carry it in my purse, too. My only slight "annoyance" with it is that, when I have do have to clip it on, the clip is bigger and bulkier than on previous ones I've had...sometimes it digs into my skin, sometimes it falls off. But it is cool to try to up your steps, like having a little competition with yourself. The pedometer itself is about the length of a large egg.

CyndiM 06-23-2009 09:42 PM

Yup, got it and love it. It's been a great motivator and keeps me honest. I've also bought 4 as gifts for friends/family who were interested after I got mine. It's my version of Jiminy Cricket ;)