3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   I'll Eat the Rest of That (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/174628-ill-eat-rest.html)

mortonpixie 06-18-2009 07:15 PM

I'll Eat the Rest of That

I just cleaned up the kids supper dishes and when I was taking away my 2-year-olds dish, there was a good amount of rice and mushrooms left. I used to go ahead and finish that up - but I didn't this time.

I have already eaten (okay inhaled) my dinner and just need to wait until my brain knows that I put something in my tummy. I'm NOT still hungry - I had a cup of brown rice and some beef stroganoff sauce over it, beef, mushrooms, onions.

I HATE that I do this!! I use all sorts of excuses. You know them, I'm sure. But just this once, I didn't do it. It's okay to throw food away...no little starving kids in ____insert country here____ will know.

dragonwoman64 06-18-2009 07:52 PM

don't be too hard on yourself, you are without question not alone in that habit! even grown ups do it with other grown ups. bf says, you want the rest of this, or a piece of this? I don't think I can finish it....

why yes, says I, I haven't finished what's on my plate, but I'll gladly take and eat yers....

congrats on not eating it this time! one time is the first step in establishing a habit

JayEll 06-18-2009 07:58 PM

Good for you! :cheer2:

My becoming obese never helped a single starving child anywhere... :(

Jay

kiramira 06-18-2009 08:03 PM

Don't hate that you do that -- we all have thought patterns that we slip into for whatever reason. It is hard to break the thought pattern, and the ensuing habits...the first step is recognizing the thought/habit! So you are already on your way!!!

Hang in there...

Kira

mandalinn82 06-18-2009 08:06 PM

You know, I have those "starving children" thoughts myself. And generally, what I say is "The food is here. The food is NEVER getting to the starving children. The potential paths for this food are my butt or my trash can".

It talks me out of it right quick.

:bravo: on not giving into that destructive pattern.

rockinrobin 06-18-2009 08:14 PM

I used to do that ALL the time. I would clean up my kids leftovers - and since they were nothing like their Mom, there was PLENTY leftover.

Naturally, when my DH came home a couple of hours later, I'd have my *real* supper. And it wasn't tiny to *compensate* for eating more then a dinners worth of the kids, this much I can tell you. Ooooh, such bad memories.

I remember when I first started my journey, I knew this would be an issue for me and I made a vow, that no matter what I wouldn't clean their plates. Well sure enough it was so automatic to me that I put a bite of homemade pizza in my mouth that very first night - came to my senses and spit it out. The following night, I ran their left over food under the drain.

It's much more of a sin and much more wasteful to eat unhealthy foods or eat though NOT hungry, then to throw food away. Better to throw it in the trash can then to "be" the trash can.

Great job!! This is a big step. You are well on your way to making the changes necessary to lead a healthy lifestyle. :)

Alana in Canada 06-18-2009 08:32 PM

Good for you!
I confess I am working on this one, too. :ink:

Pas de Chaton 06-18-2009 09:29 PM

This used to be one of my big problems, too. And it had nothing to do with starving children anywhere, it had to do with money. I thought it was a waste of money to throw away food. But the food has already been cooked, it can't be reused, so why add it to my calorie intake.

Now, instead of eating it, or even throwing it away, I keep it in a Glad-ware type box and feed our neighborhood crows every morning. I get such enjoyment sipping my cup of coffee and watching the crows every day, that I don't worry about the money. Or the starving children. Or my waistline. ;)

zinkemomx2 06-18-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayEll (Post 2791723)

My becoming obese never helped a single starving child anywhere...

Jay

Can I steal that quote for my sig?

My solution lately has been to make the kids clear their own plates. They are nearly 5yo so they are plenty old enough to clean up after themselves.

rockinrobin 06-19-2009 05:49 AM

I recently saw this quote somewhere:

I was told to clean my plate because there are starving kids in Africa. 25 years later I'm fat, and there are still starving kids in Africa.

Rainbow 06-19-2009 06:00 AM

Took my a long time to not eat my children's left overs - especially when they barely touch it and it's something I've spent hours cooking. Tehse days I just stick it on their dad's plate :D:devil: He can have the extra lb instead of me :dizzy:

time2lose 06-19-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Robin originally posted Better to throw it in the trash can then to "be" the trash can.
I tell myself that I am not a human garbage disposal. ;)

sprklemajik 06-19-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayEll (Post 2791723)
Good for you! :cheer2:

My becoming obese never helped a single starving child anywhere... :(

Jay

:lol: Well said! :cp:

Shannon in ATL 06-19-2009 10:57 AM

I did great for months at not sneaking fries here and there when getting stepsons plate ready, not eating a couple of pretzels when I poured some in a bowl for him, not eating a few froot loops or cheerios when I was getting his ready, and I made it to goal. Then, in about February I again started grabbing a fry here and there, eating a chicken nugget left behind and not touched, eating a little cereal, grabbing a couple of pretzels, an untouched half slice of pizza, whatever. And surprise surprise, my weight went up over the next two months. It was a symptom for me - I was letting go of some of my controls and not paying as close attention. Obviously I can't do that! Two months later I'm back where I started in February, and don't snack on the easy kid food anymore! :)

Good job on resisting mortonpixie! :)

mortonpixie 06-19-2009 10:58 AM

You all are wonderful! I'm encouraged to hear that I'm SO not the only one. I resisted a square of toast with jam this morning on her plate as well. I don't know why I would have eaten that before - it was cold, she had poked her finger in it, and I already had breakfast!