3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Tough, tough weekend (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/174312-tough-tough-weekend.html)

kiramira 06-15-2009 11:52 AM

Tough, tough weekend

Hi all!
Well, my eating plan went completely to "heck" last weekend -- visitors over, I made lots of great food and plenty of healthy choices, but just couldn't seem to get my act together. I chose all the bad foods and know that I am up, up, UP (at least, that is how I feel!)! And, to be honest, I've been slack for the past 2 weeks :(
Now, no excuses here. I didn't do the right thing. I am making poor choices and I own that completely. So I sat down, reevaluated things and think I know what has happened:
1. I'm not drinking my water. I've slipped in this department, and I'm pretty sure that I've misinterpreted my thirst for hunger.
2. I'm doing a hot yoga challenge (30 classes in 30 days), which means that I'm probably retaining some water AND I've given myself permission to be not as strict as usual, thinking that the "exercise will take care of it". :lol:
3. I'm not planning as I used to. And failing to plan means that I'm planning to fail.
4. I've eaten OUT twice last week, and twice this week, and gone for what I really "feel" like having. I'm making healthier choices but not the best choices, like at the local Cambodian/Thai restauarant: instead of beef noodle soup (where I can drink the broth and have the beef and avoid most of the rice noodles) I'm picking the yellow curry delight with rice (not a burger, and has grains, but not the best choice). I haven't eaten chocolate nor chips nor burgers nor fries nor pizza and if I feel hungry, I'm making a conscious effort to pick healthy options like a banana. But I'm eating way more than I should. As in, why not 2 bananas? Why? See excuses 1 and 2 above!
5. I'm not as strict in recording what I'm eating. In fact, I'm not recording ANYTHING, except mentally.
So, I know what I have to do. I WON'T let this slip defeat me! I have made the following resolutions to address what has happened: drink my water, keep up the exercise, plan and follow-through, cut back on the eating out, and record what I am eating.
I guess that this shows me, yet again, that I have to sustain my effort if I want to be successful in the long term. And that this will be a life-long struggle, and there is no "cure"... double :( ! :lol:
SO:
I would love to hear from those successful losers and maintainers IF they experienced a period like this, and how they were able to get back on track. I really need a pat on the back right now!!!!
Thanks for listening!
Kira

Peep Smith 06-15-2009 12:05 PM

Aw Kira, I'm having the same trouble...will be posting about it later. I'm doing the exact same things as you and feeling like I'm letting myself down. Tell you what...you hold my hand and pull and I'll grab yours and pull. Let's get back on track. We both know what we need to do, we're just not doing it.

MrsWolf 06-15-2009 12:12 PM

Well, I don't know that I'm any more successful than you are, but I can definitely relate to the feelings you have. I go through periods when I rebel against my new lifestyle and choose to eat off plan in that moment. I always feel bad later, and wonder why I do this to myself. :lol:

For me, the important thing is to just refuse to give up. Sure, the teenager who seems to take control of my life from time to time is persistent, but I can beat her. If I don't give up, I will be successful. Each time I trip up, I learn a little bit more about my own psyche, and the time between the rebellions grow longer.

You can totally do this.

Peace, Heather

Peep Smith 06-15-2009 12:27 PM

Thanks Heather, something you said rang a small bell with me...

"Sure, the teenager who seems to take control of my life from time to time is persistent, but I can beat her. If I don't give up, I will be successful. Each time I trip up, I learn a little bit more about my own psyche, and the time between the rebellions grow longer."

It does sure seem like some immature, know-it-all teen ruins things for me from time to time...and she is me. Just got to figure out why and tell her nicely to go sit in a corner.

Glory87 06-15-2009 12:29 PM

Oh yeah - I catch myself sliding, not measuring food as carefully, going a little crazy at my "splurge meals" (eating a ton of bread out of the basket, ordering my own dessert, more than 1 glass of wine), eating cake at work when it's someone's birthday. Making excuses, really. It definitely shows up on the scale. Last summer, I managed to slide my way up to 137 (and too tight jeans!) by not staying on plan and avoiding the scale. Trying on my jeans when the weather cooled off and realizing they didn't fit - big "come to Jesus" moment for me.

I felt a little whiney about the whole thing - I still wasn't eating "badly" - I didn't eat chips or pretzels or fast food or burgers or scones or brownies. Just more of what I normally ate.

You are absolutely right to grab it now and re-focus.

How did I get back on track? Told myself to quit making excuses to eat in ways I knew would make me gain weight. I know what to do, so I just started doing it again. I'm fitting in to all my clothes again and I keep reminding myself, I'm happier THIS way.

rockinrobin 06-15-2009 01:01 PM

Oh yeah. I can relate.

Having company over is also a bad thing for me. I make TONS of food - loads healthy and delicious, but a few items - just as delicious , but not as healthy. And somehow they find there way into my mouth - oh I put them there.

Justifications....... Especially as far as eating too much of the healthy foods. Just another couple of bites here and a couple of bites there. Too much of this and a little extra of that. And it adds up.

How do I get it back? I take a good long breath. I tell myself to cut the crap out. Enough nonsense. I set up some strict rules, some definite NO's. And use a LOT of self talk. A LOT. I remind myself that I despise being off plan. That I am much happier on plan. Because I am.

I have never let it get terribly out of hand. It's no longer an option NOT to get back. Like Glory - I just do it. And when I do - I am always relieved. Being off plan makes me tense and uptight and - just feel lousy. The good thing is, I find all it takes is 3 really tight days and I'm back in that groove, totally relieved, feeling fabulous and wonder why the heck I veered off plan. I know this will be the case with you as well.

You are wise to recognize this now before it gets out of hand. You're Nike here - just do it. Reel it in. 3 good days.. One at a time.......

MrsWolf 06-15-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peep Smith (Post 2786438)
Thanks Heather, something you said rang a small bell with me...

"Sure, the teenager who seems to take control of my life from time to time is persistent, but I can beat her. If I don't give up, I will be successful. Each time I trip up, I learn a little bit more about my own psyche, and the time between the rebellions grow longer."

It does sure seem like some immature, know-it-all teen ruins things for me from time to time...and she is me. Just got to figure out why and tell her nicely to go sit in a corner.

No need to be nice about it. As the parent of an actual teenager, I can tell you that tough love is what is needed here!

Good luck!