Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #1  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

Question Real Fat or Water Weight?

I am just curious as this has never happened to me before....I watched what I ate last week, drank more water than usual and exercised just a little more than usual....and gained 3lbs. I know its not TOM related as that came and went.

My measurements are the same as it was last week. Can I therefore assume that its water weight seeing that my measurements have not moved?
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

If you've been doing everything right then I would just assume that this is just one of those unexplained fluctuations caused by water retention (or the pull of the moon, or the whim of our bodies) and it will resolve itself very soon.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Water weight will change measurements also, so that's not a way to tell.

Basically there is no way to tell how much is water and how much is fat, muscle, bone, etc. unless you want to do some kind of rigorous testing every month or so.

Sorry I can't answer your question! However, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Try weighing only once a week so you don't get thrown off by fluctuations like this.

BTW, when you say you're "watching what you eat," does that mean you are tracking your food with a calorie counter or WW points calculation? I assume so.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post

Try weighing only once a week so you don't get thrown off by fluctuations like this.

BTW, when you say you're "watching what you eat," does that mean you are tracking your food with a calorie counter or WW points calculation? I assume so.
Jay
I only weigh once a week....I would go crazy if I weighed everyday.

Re: 'watching what I eat'...I do not count calories exactly with a calorie counter or a WW points system. I am trying not to make this journey too technical. I exercise portion control and am very aware of my calories as I tend to eat the same things everyday. I also try to go low-fat and choose lower calorie options.

For example, my breakfast this morning was 145 calories (1slice of bread - 100 cals, 1 cheese slice - 45 calories) with 2 tomato slices.

However I will not be able to tell you how many calories my lunch is but I packed 4 oz of grilled salmon (using the palm of my hand to assess the size - a nutritionist showed me how to do it), 3/4 cup of mashed potato (measured with a measuring cup) and some steamed bokchoy.

This has been working for me so far but of course I am open to suggestions.......

Last edited by Slim CB; 11-29-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #5  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

My suggestion is to stick with your plan, if it's been working, and not worry about a fluctuation here or there. They happen to me all the time - one week is just not a long enough time scale to really see what's happening. Give it three or four weeks and see if the fluctuation evens out before you worry about whether you need to tweak your plan.

If you haven't changed your eating or exercise habits, then it's really unlikely that you would suddenly gain 3 lbs while eating the same amount of food that you were losing on in the past. So give it time.

I am also not a rigorous calorie-counter, but I do take a reality-check once a month or so, where I weigh and measure and count EVERYTHING very strictly for a few days, just to make sure my portions aren't creeping or that I'm not fooling myself in some other way. You might try that for a few days.

But, I emphasize, one fluctuation is probably not cause for a major plan overhaul, yet, if the plan is working otherwise. That's just my own view. Others will tell you that strict counting is always necessary for them, but it hasn't been for me - those occasional reality checks are enough for me.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Now lets say that tomorrow that 3 lbs is gone...But since you won't weigh again till next week, you won't see it. That would drive me insane. We're all different (well duh), for me, weighing daily is less stressful. You've got more data to work with and these fluctuation become a non issue

I see that you're very close to goal (yay!), since that is the case, you will most likely have to be VERY consistent with your food and exercise. They'll be little room for *error*. So perhaps you may want to consider accurately tracking those calories and measuring out your foods.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #7  

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions! It means a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I see that you're very close to goal (yay!), since that is the case, you will most likely have to be VERY consistent with your food and exercise. They'll be little room for *error*. So perhaps you may want to consider accurately tracking those calories and measuring out your foods.
Rockinrobin - let me first say that i have admired you since I have joined this forum. You are such a motivator and I always look forward to your advice.

Yes, I am close to my initial goal - but I think I am going to lower it to 158lbs - and make it an even 40lbs lost. I admit that as I am reaching closer to goal I have to be more vigilant and as such I will be following your advice and tracking more carefully.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Our weights fluctuate for so many reasons that I try not to worry about the daily movements. Thus, I am generally a weekly weigher. That said, I do sometimes weigh myself at other times during the week just to check in. I only record it once a week, however.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote