Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

View Poll Results: If you are currently on a diet, which one?
Atkins 9 5.52%
Weight Watchers 17 10.43%
Nutrisystem 0 0%
South Beach 7 4.29%
MediaFast 2 1.23%
Another plan 19 11.66%
My own diet 59 36.20%
No diets for me! 28 17.18%
Other 22 13.50%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2009, 03:56 AM   #1  
Bringin' Sexy Back!

Default If you are currently on a diet, which one?

If you are currently on a diet, which one?
suzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hey, but what about what it says in your signature that keeps flashing back and forth?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 06-14-2009 at 06:17 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:20 AM   #3  
Bringin' Sexy Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Hey, but what about what it says in your signature that keeps flashing back and forth?

FYI, I like doing polls to get to know what are some statistics in the forum concerning several topics. I am still with that it says in my signature that keeps flashing back and forth
Old 06-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

Well thank you for my information! I just thought the question was was kinda cute, given your signature. That's all. Didn't mean to get you so upset. Really.

That being said, my so called "diet" is not up there. I guess I could choose other.

I'm a calorie counter, who concentrates on whole foods. Think veggies, proteins, fruits. Stays away from the added sugar, flour, pasta, rice, etc. And I even stay away from most grains, even whole ones - carbs (sans those found in fruits and veggies) and I don't get along very well. Eating voluminous foods is very important to me as well. I also eat frequently, every 2 - 2 1/2 hours. The calorie counting is essential to me, as it's forced portion control, it sets limits as well as providing me with built in accountability.

And for me, it really wasn't a *diet*. I'm aware that it's just the word that you used to find out what plan we're following, but it bears some explanation as to why the word diet, as what it's come to be used as, doesn't sit well with me and in that explanation, I believe lies why I've been successful *this time*, my final time.

There is actually a lot of pain and sorrow attached to the word "diet" for me. It brings up memories of many failed attempts, horrible, horrible foods to eat, dread and deprivation. *I* also really do believe the very word shrieks of temporary-ness and not willingness to continue - the "good fight" once the weight is off. It just shrieks *to me* of "When do I get to get "off" this horrible thing that I'm on so that I can go back to normal?" *For me*, as corn-y and semantic-y as it may sound - LIFESTYLE CHANGE, or lifestyle - whatever - discovering that word, that phrase, that - mindset - opened up a whole new world for me and unlocked many doors. It made perfect sense to me. It was a "light bulb moment". I never did "diet" very well, but change my lifestyle, make this an adventure, something interesting and exciting and lasting - now THAT was something I could do! Once I wrapped it around my very slow brain that I was in "this" forever, well, that's the second I realized I had better make this delightful and fun and exciting. Something that I could look forward to, not dread. That's when I worked my tail off seeking out ways to make this work. That's when I came up with "my own plan", customized for me. That's when I became a "gourmet" chef. Because there was no way on earth I was going to do "diet" food forever. That's when I found the joy in this, instead of the sadness. And that's when I found success, not failure.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:30 AM   #5  
Bringin' Sexy Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Well thank you for my information! I just thought the question was was kinda cute, given your signature. That's all. Didn't mean to get you so upset. Really.
Your response felt as if I was acting sarcastic or something, and I am not. Anyway, no hard feelings!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

My "diet" is not on there either. I'm a calorie counter. Though I feel a little differently about this "diet" topic than others. I call it a diet because technically a diet is the food source a person or animal eats. I was on a unhealthy diet before, and I am on a healthy diet now. A rose is still a rose by any other name.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-14-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
My "diet" is not on their either. I'm a calorie counter. Though I feel a little differently about this "diet" topic than others. I call it a diet because technically a diet is the food source a person or animal eats. I was on a unhealthy diet before, and I am on a healthy diet now. A rose is still a rose by any other name.
Lori, I agree with you 100%. "My diet consists of so and so", or "I follow a diet of _____" is what the term really refers to; but the word "diet" has not been referred to that way (for the most part) for quite some time.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #8  

I also calorie count.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I eat very similarly to Robin, except I eat less cauliflower/yogurt and more whole grains than she does

My "lightbulb" moment was flipping through the book Super Foods Rx: 14 Foods That Will Change Your Life. I was obese, 35 years old and my last grandparent had died that year (all 4 died way too young). After reading that book, I knew I wanted to start eating better - to choose the kinds of food that could fight cancer, prevent disease. I also realized around the same time, that I had to stop "dieting" for a short time and then expecting to eat "normal." My normal way of eating made me fat - I had to stop eating like that and find something I could stick to - forever.

The way I ate evolved over the next couple of years. It eventually became a plan completely unique to me and the foods I like and my lifestyle. It is a combination of calorie counting, emphasis on whole foods and volumetrics. It requires a lot of planning and structure, but I enjoy that.

It has been almost five years since I started and I am still very happy with how I eat and have little desire to return to my old ways.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #10  
sucker for candy corn

S/C/G: 186/ticker/135

I'm a calorie counter as well. I don't have any restrictions on what I can eat, but there are definitely many foods that I can't eat regularly or can't eat much of because they don't fit into my calorie allowance.

Having said that, there is one food that I avoid - french fries. I find that I 1) just can't eat a few and 2) even if I just finished a burger or sandwich, after eating just a few fries I am immediately ravenous again.
Civakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am a calorie counter, too. I wonder why you didn't have calorie counting on your list, so I had to pick Other.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #12  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I calorie count with a focus on whole foods nutrition. I get my 5-10 fruits/veg a day, healthy dairy, lean meats, good fats, whole grain carbs. I keep my protein over 100 grams daily and my fat under 30% of my total calories I WILL be following my "diet" or way of eating for the rest of my life.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 112kg 247 lbs/90kg/67kg 147lbs

Height: 5'3'' 160 cm

Hi Susan
I am a calorie counter. I prefere fruit, vegetable , fish, lean meat , whole grain carbs, and low fat dairy. Also drink about 1/2 gallon of water per day.

What I like the most in this is :

I can and will sometimes eat sweet things or pizza too,
as long as I'm in my calorie range

That way I don't feel deprived of anything, and also makes me crave lot less then before.

I share Rockinrobin's thinking :
"The calorie counting is essential to me, as it's forced portion control, it sets limits as well as providing me with built in accountability. "

good luck
Nell
Nell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #14  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I used Atkins to reach my goal and maintain it for the first 6 month afterwards. But, eventually I realized that I didn't Choose to do it for the rest of my life. I now count calories (1500 daily) and keep my fat grams at 25-30 grams per day. Right now this is working for me. I have no guarantee that it will always work or that I may have to change things up again when I get tired of it or find it difficult to stay on plan. So, I chose my "own plan" cause I do whatever works for me at a given time.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #15  
getting started AGAIN!

S/C/G: 255/246.5/180?

Height: 5'8"

calorie counting.
lizzyINPA is offline   Reply With Quote