Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #1  
I'm Praying for a Miracle

S/C/G: 232/196/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default Argh! Help please.. must be my eating

Ok between breakfast and lunch i eat 340 calories..
I come home from work at 6
I work out 1.5-2 miles on the treadmill
and reps on my bands and a little dance burns at least - 250 calories

Then I have a snack and dinner.. NO WAY Im eating more than 1100 calories
Plus i drink 8 glasses of water a day..

Why am i gaining weight not losing and i stil have a good 35+ pounds to lose.

the weekends, im kicking it up a notch with 2 miles on the treadmil
and 2 miles on the street...

Only thing I can possibly thing of is im eating too late.. but i dont get home until after 6 anyways and im in bed by 9...

Any suggestions?

6: a.m. 1/2 Glass of juice & 16 oz of water
10:00 Protein bar/ snack bar (90 calories)
12:00 Whole wheat sandwhich with vegies and water.. ( 170 calories)
5:00 apple on the drive home...& 20 Oz of water

6:15 Excerise and 32 oz of water.

7;7:30 have dinner, ( NO bread and my portions seem to be smaller)

I do have a treat..like a mini candy or a couple oreos. but I should be losing at least a pound a week..(SIGH)

ANy suggestions would be awesome. I have 3 weeks from today to lose 6 pounds before i go to the doctors!! well maybe only 3 lbs.. depending if the weight on the scale is water or not!

Thanks!
I will measure myself later too.. see if i lost anymore inches. but man when that scale goes up , and i been working so hard! its heart beaking!!!

Time to jump on the treadmill..
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

I would suggest that you up your calories. I don't think you are eating enough. That protein/snack bar is probably not a protein bar if it has only 90 cals and not a great breakfast. Imo, try eating 5 small meals around 250 cals and then your night time snack. When you eat too few calories your body tends to hold onto the weight.
HTH
maryshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Friday!

Call me crazy, but you're not eating enough. You're gaining weight because your body is trying to hold on to every morsel you give it to avoid death by starvation. Increasing your exercise won't help!

You can most likely eat 1600-1800 calories and still lose, given your level of exercise. This will probably give you better results. You should not eat below 1200 cals average.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 05-29-2009 at 07:43 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hmmm. Eating too late, well there's really no such thing, as long as you keep within your calorie allotment within a 24 hour period. .

Well. You didn't give a complete menu. What does my dinners SEEM smaller mean? How many calories are we talking here? Because that's always what it boils down to. For me smaller wouldn't have cut it. I was eating very caloric dinners in the past. Cutting them back wouldn't have been cutting them back ENOUGH to create a calorie deficit.

Some candy? A couple of Oreos? Well each oreo cookie has 65 calories. 2 therefore would have 130 calories. 3 Oreos - 195. Why not have some nutrient rich, filling and satisfying snack instead?

I would also have a larger breakfast - at least 200 calories and a larger lunch - at least 300- 400 calories. Good quality calories though. Egg white omlettes, veggies, FF/SF yogurt. Chicken or turkey breast for lunch with a nice salad.

I think you really, really need to track those calories to get a crystal clear picture of what you're truly ingesting. This way there's no mistaking it.

And there's no way to know for sure just how many calories you're burning on that treadmill and with the dancing. About 30 minutes of walking burns approximately 100 calories.

Another question. How long have you been doing this for?

Give us a little more info and we can give you some more suggestions. Meanwhile, hang tough. Be open to a little tweaking here and there and you'll have that scale headed down.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I agree that you really should track EVERYTHING for a while and see how much you're really eating! Those calories are really sneaky... they pounce! Especially things like Oreos -- VERY sneaky!

So track for a few days and report back!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #6  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I do sympathize but you're spot on when you say, it must be my eating.

Either you're eating a lot too low, if you really are only eating 1100 a day
Or the candy is bigger than you think and you're eating way over.

If you use a tracker like sparkpeople dot com (there are others, I just have no experience of them ) and track every single crumb, it really will help.

I know the 'eat more' thing sounds insane but I was stalling on 1200, now losing +/- 2lbs a week on 1500.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #7  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I know when I started using Fitday.com I started losing better...maybe one of those sites will work for you. And yes...up your calories and then go down from there.....give it a try
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

IMO, before any one ups any thing, I would strongly, STRONGLY advise to track those calories CAREFULLY. Once you start biting and writing EVERYTHING, every lick, taste and crumb- well it's a real eye opener. Once you know what you're truly ingesting, one can take it from there. It *may* just be that the OP is consuming more calories then she thinks she is. You really need to get an accurate count of what's going into your body. Otherwise, it's just any ones guess. And really, why *guess* with something so vital?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #9  

Ok i will start counting calories for dinner time..
I started mid march.. down like i was down 15 lbs..
now im up a couple..
When i started the weight loss in mid march time... I was eating almost nothing at night..and someone toldme on here.. i need to eat more.. so i started eating more about middle of may . now the scale is going the other way.. i guess I have to find a mid point..
My treadmill says I burn 200 calories.. i speed walk 4.0-4.5 for 2 miles..
then i do stretching and about 10 minute dancing..
so at least i can go by the 200..
and weekends i do 4 miles.. 2 on the treadmill and 2 on the street..

Everyone notices the weight loss. my clothes are getting bigger..
but as hard as im working.. the scale should be down another 2 lbs.. not up 3.

but I will start writting down everythign put in my mouth.
I dont have a big breakfast.. because I go to work very early.. and I am on Metformin( for pcos) and seems if i eat a heavy breakfast, I get the runs..
and i am chained to a desk all day until noon, when i have lunch.
So i cant be eating a big breakfast..Especially anything with GREASE!
Maybe i will look into a protein drink for breakfast..
I am up to trying anything!!
When I was eating less, i actually was never hungry.. I was drinking 8 glasses of water a day.. Just read we should be drinking 1/2 our body weight in water, and that means I need to double my water.
I sweat a lot while i excerise.. So it makes sense..I am not stupid. I will not do anything that will make me sick.
but i think im following the rules. but its not working in my favor! lol

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Friday; 05-29-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #10  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I can't imagine making it all the way to 6:00pm on 340 calories, and then exercising. I would be cranky and weak.

Totally agree with RockinRobin - until you really know how many calories you are consuming, it's hard to figure out whether you need to add or subtract. Tracking calories is incredibly eye opening.

I would *definitely* try to balance my calories out a little more through the day, if I were you. There's no science behind this whatsoever, but mentally I try to be at 700 - 900 calories by 4:00pm. That way I feel like I won't be cranky and will have energy when my kids walk in the door from school. I do it for their sake as well as mine!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #11  

I think its the water.. makes me very full..
Carbs are my downfall, if i avoid carbs, i dont get hungry . at least it works for me
Old 05-30-2009, 04:03 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/169/145

Height: 5'5

I'd add in some more calories. If you don't eat enough calories, your body goes into starvation mode & stores your fat!
vertigoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm going to add one more voice to the chorus- increase your calories. I never lose when I go below a certain number of cals.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #14  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
I'm going to add one more voice to the chorus- increase your calories. I never lose when I go below a certain number of cals.
I second this. If it's true that you're only eating 1100 per day, your body is rebelling. Remember that your body can adjusts its metabolism if your calories drop too low, and while it does take a certain number of calories to function, it can certainly match the level you're eating right now. This calorie level is way too low for you. Eat more and make sure to have a little protein, fiber, and healthy fat at every meal.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

"eat more" !!

try oatmeal for breakfast - the single serve kind. 1min 30 in microwave and you're set. They're around 150-180 calories a serving + whatever calories you add with milk. Quaker have a great range of weight control (increased protein and fiber) or higher fiber, or just regular. Yes i do get the flavor ones <_<;

I read somewhere once, if you eat with in 30 mins of waking up, you can burn up to 300 calories; dont know how correct this is, but i like to believe it.

Also, just in my opinion, not that im a professional, but try eating more earlier in the day. Less at night. Eat good carbs til just after lunch, and cut right back, to give you sustained energy all day.
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote