Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 149/144.5/125

Height: 5'6"

Question best way to lose weight?

I've gone up in size slowly, and I used to dance and when I was dancing I was never bigger than a 4 and now I'm an 8 and I just wanna go back to that size and tone up. My waste is still fairly small, but I've mainly gained weight in my legs and my butt. What seems to be working for everyone else? And what kind of excercise will help me most? I've heard running makes your legs bigger because of all the muscle, so I don't want to do that. any tips? thanks.
nerve2adoreyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #2  

First, good for you for getting on this NOW instead of waiting until you have a lot more to lose. I wish I had taken it all more seriously when it was just 25-30 lbs. I did join WW at 140 years ago and got some odd looks from the much heavier and older ladies. Funny thing is I remember thinking at the time (in that arrogant way only a youngster can muster) that I was going to get on my weight issue before I ever got as fat as those ladies. Opps!

As for 'the best way', that's a subjective thing. I would tell you to learn everything you can about nutrition etc. and experiment with your body. IMO, the 'best way' is whatever fits well with your body type and is something you can do long term. In general, a ratio of 40% carbs/ 30 % fat/ 30% protein is considered a balanced diet. In your shoes, I'd strive to adjust my eating to those ratios then see if it's working and decide what needs to be tweeked.

Eating is 80% of the determining factor for success while exercise is 20%. Personally I find that exercising makes me more willing to do what I need to on the eating thing- it generates motivation so it's more than 20% in terms of importance to success for me.

I don't think you need to worry about your legs getting bigger due to running or any other exercise. That's one of those myths. Unless you are a genetic superior when it comes to muscle you just won't be able to build up bulky legs like a guy. Cardio is a must to burn fat and eventually you'll want to add weight training too.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Hi and welcome... calorie counting one way or another seems to be the key that works for most of us. Start a food journal and see what adjustments you need to make.

Can you still do some dancing? It'll help if you can do something to keep burning extra calories...running is a mega calorie burner if you can do that. Some women's legs do bulk, but alot do not, the only way to really know is to try and see if it works for you.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

YUP calorie counting! Think of it like money in the bank. The fat is the money. If you spend more than you deposit eventually the account goes to ZERO!

ALL diet have one thing in common to be successful. You burn more than you take in and you will lose.

It's awesome that you are jumping on this when you don't have a LOT to lose. MAN I WISH I had done something when I was only 40 or 50 pounds overweight but NOOOOO I had to wait until I was 145lbs overweight!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/160

Height: 5'11

i have been very successful with jenny craig, and have recently started doing 90% of meals on my own, and starting off a little rocky. but calories and fat are a great way to lose weight. also small steps like.. switching to whole grain bread instead of white bread.. or light dressing instead of full fat dressing.or an apple instead of a box of cheez-itz. these little changes have made a huge difference for me, and now they are like second nature. im hungry? iw ant a snack? i don even think twice about grabbing an apple instead of something unhealthy. taking the stairs instead of the elevator... all of these little changes add up. I am also not a huge fan of running, i use the elliptical it is a good source of cardio, but is easier on your joints and to me its easier then running.
xpinkglowx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 149/144.5/125

Height: 5'6"

thanks everyone. i made a fitday so that on there it will tell me how many calories ive consumed and how many calories ive burned by just lifestyle and working out and it will keep track of my progress for me and it tells me my bmi which right now is in the upper normal range, but im built small so i should prob be in the lower normal range so i think im gonna watch my calorie intake and limit it to 1200 to 1500 a day and i have an eliptical so ill try using that to tone up
nerve2adoreyou is offline   Reply With Quote