Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #1  
I'm Praying for a Miracle

S/C/G: 232/196/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default How much is enough? or do i have to keep going?

HI..
Question.. I have been working out off and on.. Since March.
Lost a little weight.. But Since 5/11 I been running or speedwalking on my treadmill 1.5 miles a day 5-6 days a week. - Plus working out with stetch bands, and doing some occasional dance...
Watching everything I eat and
drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day...

My question is.. will my body get used to this routine, and want me to do more on the excerise side? and eat even less?

I eat about 1000 calories M-Thursday, a day..
and burn off about 230 calories a day..
Weekends I eat a little more..I allow myself 2 junk snacks on the weekend.. but i usually walk 2 miles a day
and run/speedwalk 2 miles so 4 total..

I have at least 30 more pounds to lose.. 30 gone from my highest weight (1/1/08).

So will i have to keep pushing my limits to keep losing weight?
It says you have to burn/get rid of 3500 calories a week to lose a pound?
I know i have done that.. but will i have to increase after my body gets use dto the -3500?

Thanks!!!!!!!
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Your calorie intake is pretty low compared to your weight! Is there a reason it is so low? Doctor recommendation?

Your body WILL get used to a routine, but more exercise is not necessarily the answer. Variety is the spice in your exercise life too. Mix it up. Keep working different muscle groups in different ways.

My best guess - to lose weight more rapidly, you will need to increase your calories, not decrease them.

Last edited by CountingDown; 05-18-2009 at 09:42 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Just my humble opinion, but I don't think you're eating enough calories, especially since you're exercising, there's not enough fuel for your body. You have to eat to lose weight... it's a trippy concept I know, but it's true. If you don't eat enough your body will conserve what you give it, it's our ancient survival mechanism. I believe at bare minimum it should be 1200-1500 a day and maybe a bit more when you exercise. Also, you have to remember, this is something you're going to do for the rest of your life, 1000 calories a day would be extremly difficult to maintain. The maintainers forum is a wealth of information of what happens after the loss, it varies widely depending on the person, but from what I gathered, maintenance is 1500-1600ish a day, plus or minus extra calories for exercise. Just my 2 cents, good luck!
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I agree with CountingDown. If your don't eat enough, your metabolism tries to conserve and hold on to what you've got. I'd suggest you check one of the calorie sites like Freedieting.com and see what they recommend for your calorie level to lose weight.

Your exercise looks good, and so does your water.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #5  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

For comparison's sake, at approximately the same height and weight as you (205.5 pounds this morning and 5'7"), I eat about 1800 calories per day and lose weight very nicely, on not a lot of formal exercise--half an hour of fairly intense hillwalking per day and 20 mins of weight training a couple times per week. (I do make sure to get plenty of NEAT, also.) My current rate of loss is about 1.5 pounds per week.

So, killing yourself to starve and overexercise is not necessarily the answer to weight loss.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #6  
Workin' It

I was going to say the same thing about your calorie level - I've known people to eat too low and stall or even gain weight, because the body hoards the available calories. Add in exercise too, and your body might think you are entering a famine and it has to save those calories instead of burning them.

You asked about your body getting used to the (3500), where did you come up with the 1000 calorie number most days? Are your weekend snacks enough to pull your calorie average higher?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

To answer your question, yes, you will have to keep challenging yourself with the exercise.. walk/jog /run faster, further, hills, try different activities. Eventually the same activity won't burn as much calories once you body gets used to it.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #8  
I'm Praying for a Miracle

S/C/G: 232/196/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

Well hmmm. I always read you have to burn more than you eat..
and It saidyou have to burn 3500 calories a week to lose a pound. so hmmm i dont know.. lol. my doctor had said in the past between 1000-1500
so some days im sure especially weekends i do 1500... Weekdays, I work a lot..and not able to eat a lot anyways.. So I usually eat when im hungry..
Apples. Celery, yougurt.. Whole Wheat, turkey, ham.. I try to eat 5 small meals.. with of course lots of water.. I will try to kick my food up more..
I know the fat girl in me is saying. oh just give up..you cant do it..
But I dont want to give up.. I want to lose it...
So idont want to get frustrated!
I appreciate any help!
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I know the fat girl in me is saying. oh just give up..you cant do it..
But I dont want to give up.. I want to lose it...
So idont want to get frustrated!
I appreciate any help!

When I start thinking like that, I check out the before/afters in the success stories section here at 3FC... some of them started out at 300 or so pounds and are now at lower goal weight then my own goal weight, so it CAN be done.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote