Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 353.6/344.6/180

Height: 5' 9"

Default start on my journey..take 2.

okay so like 2 weeks ago I was doing amazing on my plan and feeling great, lost like 6 pounds..however, I went off plan one day and it was downhill from there. I have decided since tomorrow is monday, it will be another fresh, clean slate. I will weigh in tomorrow morning and use that as my official start weight, and my NEW, improved (I hope) plan will be: 1800 cals, with UNLIMITED fruits and veggies, with the exceptions of bananas, because they actually are high in cals. I know all fruits and veggies have calories, however I think that if I dont have to factor them into my daily calories, I will be more likely to eat them, instead of telling myself to ditch the fruit all day long, save up calories and have some cake lol. I realize this site is so amazing, and I feel so welcome here, and I KNOW in my heart that you all just might be the key to making this time, the LAST time! Now that it is summer, I have no excuse not to exercise, and I really want to do cardio at LEAST 4 times this week. I know this is starting to look like a book, but if I tell you all what I need to do, I feel more obligated to stick to it lol. OH and..so I was feeling very upset at how much I need to lose overall, so I called my mom and cried and vented..well she told me not to look at the overall weight..so I am going to go in 10 pound increments, and it is so much more realistic and achievable for me. I have roughly 160(!!) pounds to lose..I need to meet each 10 pound goal 16 times. I am really going to try you guys, and I NEEDDD your support and when necessary, your kicks in the butt lol. I do not want to be 340 pounds at 20 years old..honestly. I dont want to be worried about heart attacks at 25!..anyways, heres to staying on plan, and hopping RIGHT back on when I fall off. We can do this together, I know it

btw, I really want my ticker/signature
tlp06289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey tlp! I remember your first post.

Do you know why you went off plan? Was it because you got too hungry, or was it just that a food tempted you? These are good things to think about because you can see where some pitfalls might be.

At your current weight, and if you are exercising 4 days a week, 1800 calories might be too low for you. Try going here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cal...ulator/NU00598

No calculator is completely accurate for everyone because they use averages, but if you search, you can find a lot of calculators on the web. Once you know your daily needs, you can work from there.

From just putting in some numbers, assuming your age is mid-20s, I think that you probably shouldn't go below 2300 cals per day to start. Why? Because you are likely to get too hungry! Especially if you add exercise. And, you need nutrition while losing weight.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #3  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Tlp, You sound like you are ready to get things going again. I wish you success! You CAN do it!

I agree with Jayell, 1800 may be too low for your starting weight. I know that might sound strange, but you don't want to undereat, you body will go into starvation mode and you will not lose weight.

I like the idea of setting smaller short term goals. Reward yourself when you achieve them. You are worth it and you will do this!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onmyway View Post
I agree with Jayell, 1800 may be too low for your starting weight. I know that might sound strange, but you don't want to undereat, you body will go into starvation mode and you will not lose weight.
1800 calories PLUS fruits and vegetables is a whole other matter. I eat upwards of 600 calories a day in veggies alone. Fruit, at times, another several hundred.

There really is no one or any thing that can tell you the "right" amount for yourself. You'll need to find that all out on your lonesome, with some experimenting.

I think a very vital step though would be to plan out your food "schedule" ahead of time. Know what your meals and snacks are in advance. Write them out and don't deviate from it. Really helps to avoid slip-ups that way. Keep your home stocked with good healthy foods. Eliminate the junk and foods that you tend to overeat. You can't eat it, if it's not there. Set yourself up for success!

I also looked at my weight loss in 10 lb increments. MUCH less intimidating. Sounds just so much more "doable". Probably because - it IS!! Losing weight and any amount IS a doable thing and you too most certainly CAN do it!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hi! I agree with the other posters that you need to eat ENOUGH. But I actually think 1800 PLUS fruits and veggies would be a good starting point (you'd be likely to get in a few hundred calories that way). But don't skimp on the fruits and veggies!! And don't worry about those bananas, either.

Edited to add: I see robin made a similar point!

Last edited by Heather; 05-18-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
Hi! I agree with the other posters that you need to eat ENOUGH. But I actually think 1800 PLUS fruits and veggies would be a good starting point (you'd be likely to get in a few hundred calories that way). But don't skimp on the fruits and veggies!! And don't worry about those bananas, either.

Edited to add: I see robin made a similar point!
Very similar. We even spelled PLUS the same way.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #7  
Night Shift chickie!

S/C/G: 189/159.6/150

Height: 5'6

totally in the same boat. been on plan for 2 weeks doing great. then made poor choices at an italian restaurant this weekend for date night, which led to more cravings and more bad choices. BUT... today is a new day. and you cant beat yourself up over what you did yesterday, or last week, or whenever. the best you can do is use it as motivation for your workouts this week. and eat those veggies proudly!!! (i dont count veggies either )so start your new day fresh, and im sure youll make good choices. just like 10 lbs at a time, its a day at a time. youll do great!
sassybangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I agree fruit can add loads of calories. ALSO, my pet peeve, and I mean this in the nicest most sincere way possible...PLEASE don't set yourself up at this point with a declaration of mandatory exercise...Please. We started out at a similar weight, and just carrying around 150+ extra pounds is a good workout. I found through MANY attempted starts, that when I vowed to diet, exercise religiously and set too many rules at once, that once I failed just one of them it set me up for total failure. I would highly recommend getting to know your food plan inside and out FIRST and then...in a month or so when you can do it it your sleep, add in moderate exercise, and increase as your weight reduces. Not only does this keep you sane, it also keeps your metabolism higher...possibly reducing the risk of the dreaded plateaus people commonly talk about. Anyway...just my 2 cents.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 353.6/344.6/180

Height: 5' 9"

Thank you all for your posts and tips! This is why I love 3fc :-)..so far, with having unlimited fruit and veggies, I have hardly wanted many unhealthy things today..(I work at quiznos, and I am tempted all day long lol)..For breakfast I had toast and like 8 cubes of pineapple, which was very filling, and I had a regular size turkey sub on whole wheat no cheese or sauce..and usuallu I would order a large! Im totally satusfied, not hungry at all :-)..dinner is gonna be turkey burgers on whole wheat buns and veggies, so my cals were good today. Loribell: I NEVER looked at the excersise that way, but I AM carrying a whole person with me around all day lol. I also found that NOT forcing myself to excersise or making it mandantory, I actually wanted to, because I dont have to!..So maybe I will save the mandantory cardio for next month.

Once again thank you all, and I gladly accept as many hints and suggestions as y'all are willing to type
tlp06289 is offline   Reply With Quote