3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Cook Yourself Thin (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/171823-cook-yourself-thin.html)

willow650 05-15-2009 06:43 PM

Cook Yourself Thin

I wanted to start a thread for a discussion on the show, the book, the program ect. if its in the wrong spot, feel free to move :)

willow650 05-15-2009 06:51 PM

I am enjoying the show, and I watch it almost everyday and watch the missed episodes on Lifetime.com. 1 thing is, yes they decrease fat and calories but they also use a lot of white flour and sugar. So I am curious if I could find away decrease sugar and wheat flour over white in some the recipes.

melwolfe 05-15-2009 08:02 PM

I haven't seen the show but wanted to. I keep forgetting to set it to record. I would think you could use Splenda and wheat flour instead of sugar and white flour in most recipes though. At least you could do a half and half thing

HeatherEljohari 05-15-2009 08:08 PM

Sounds like a interesting show. Im same way no white flour and no refined sugar. I use 100% wheat/grains and I discovered something called stevia which is a herb which has no calories... which is really sweet- tastes similair to sugar!!!

willow650 05-15-2009 08:34 PM

You can watch full episodes and get the recipes at www.mylifetime.com. They made a mushroom and spinach quiche today that looked awesome, they used shredded potatoes for the crust. I just looked for the recipe, but it isn't there yet

Dria 05-15-2009 11:09 PM

I have seen the show and love it. I love quiche so I am also sitting waiting for them to update lol. And I agree with the small changes you have mentioned In my opinion that can only make them better for you.
I was surprised with the amount of Buttermilk they use too. But they say its lower in fat?!?!? Who knew

willow650 05-16-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dria (Post 2743884)
I have seen the show and love it. I love quiche so I am also sitting waiting for them to update lol. And I agree with the small changes you have mentioned In my opinion that can only make them better for you.
I was surprised with the amount of Buttermilk they use too. But they say its lower in fat?!?!? Who knew

I think I heard them say they use low fat or fat free buttermilk

bacilli 05-16-2009 09:42 AM

Buttermilk is typically made with skim milk, so it's a great alternative to the dreaded heavy cream, and the tang from it gives a whole new dimension to whatever you're cooking. Another alternative to make cream based soups without the cream is rice. I swear, rice! I make leek soup and when I go to blend it, I add brown and wild rice, and it's creamy and thick, not *quite* the same taste as when I used cream, but barely noticeable.

avamarie1987 05-16-2009 10:31 AM

I saw the quiche recipe... it looked yummy!

The chocolate "cake" roll-up with egg whites sounded pretty good too... lots of sugar though. I think I'd substitute Splenda or some other sweetener to see if that tasted okay.

xpinkglowx2 05-16-2009 12:59 PM

i always wondered about their method of calories - multiplying your goal weight by ten and consuming that many calories per day? is that correct?

willow650 05-16-2009 06:59 PM

I think I need to try this recipe very soon. Maybe over next weekend http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/show...ter-dream-bars

willow650 05-16-2009 07:43 PM

What do yall think of this powder sugar sub?

Ingredients

2 cups (500 mL) nonfat dry milk powder
2 cups (500 mL) cornstarch
1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar replacement (equivalent of "Equal" packets)

Directions

Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender. Whip until well blended and powdered.

Nutritional Information
Serving size: 1/4 cup (60 ml)
Yield: 4 cups (1000 mL)
Exchanges: 1 bread
Nutrition: 81 calories

Recipe from KYoung's Recipes for Diabetics.

MindiV 05-20-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpinkglowx2 (Post 2744293)
i always wondered about their method of calories - multiplying your goal weight by ten and consuming that many calories per day? is that correct?

I wonder too...I saw an episode yesterday where they told a woman who was 5'7" tall and wanted to weigh 160 to consume 1,600 calories a day to lose weight. I currently eat around that much and work out five days a week to maintain...interesting.

Either something's up with their calculations or I should/could eat way more than I do...

mandalinn82 05-20-2009 11:43 AM

Anyone who has been around 3FC knows that formulas to determine goal weights are rarely so simple. Sure, they can provide a guideline. But no one is going to fit into any formula perfectly, especially one that doesn't take into account exercise, age, body composition, or any of the other factors that we KNOW affect calories burned per day.

willow650 05-20-2009 11:57 AM

I do notice that the ones that have lost weight, mention that they are exercising so I guess that's got something to do with it. Also Mindi, you are 140 not 160 so you are eating 200 more than that woman. That woman is eating to lose not maintain so you would eat more than her???