BC switch and water weight?

• Hey ladies- I just switched my birth control a few days ago, from yasmin (pill) to orthoevra (patch), and in those few days I have gained 4 pounds.

I'm assuming this is water, but really, FOUR pounds!!?? Isn't that a ton?
    No, I'm not eating any differently, and no, it's not a fluke on my scale- it's been consistantly 4 pounds for the last few days.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Is it water weight, and will it go away/what can I do to get rid of it?
  • You know, "A lot" is really relative.

I have been known to go up and down 6-8 lbs depending on hormones. You're only at half of that! So I can tell you it is DEFINITELY possible to gain and lose that much water in a day.

I would guess it'll go away once your body settles into your new hormone patterns. When I started on my current BC, I actually dropped several water weight pounds, but fluctuations either way are to be expected.
  • thanks Amanda, that's really helpful
  • Hang in there - from my experience, hormones can do some really wacky things, including on the scale. If you're doing everything right (eating well and exercising) I'm pretty sure that 4lbs will settle down soon enough. As frustrating as it is, it sometimes takes your body a little time to adjust to a new BC pill (I've tried about 4 of them to find the right one!).

xx
  • When I switched from nuva ring to the ortho evra patch I gained 9 lbs. in that month while still watching what I ate (although I'll admit I should have been exercising more but I was exercising no less than what I normally did at that time). I also had breast swelling and tenderness. When I went back to my doc she said some people do see significant weight gain on the patch but she said some people don't have any problems like that. Hopefully your change is just hormonal, hormones sure can whack our weight loss around a lot!! I switched back to nuva ring ASAP and that weight started to come off again. Unfortunately BC is mostly just trial and error, there are so many different kinds out there and each one will work better for different people.