Diet Plans: Disaster or Success

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • So I was just curious about which diets everyone is using; which ones work and which ones don’t. I personally am on the low-calorie diet, although I think of it more as a lifestyle change. If anyone is interested I have some awesome facts about weight loss that I have researched. I’ll also lay out my eating plan too. If you’re like me, I was so confused about what to eat and what not to eat in the beginning. Anyway … please share and good luck!
  • I tried fat smash, and the second I started eating meat and stuff again BOOM no more weight loss- I was like dude I can't live off fruits and veggies forever.

I also tried low carbing it- made me so sick I couldn't even hold down food. The second I started eating carbs again I was fine- well except that my weight went right back up! BOO!

Now I eat what I want as long as I stay in my calories. I have found that doesn't mean eat 1500 calories worth of cheesecake- because that doesn't keep you full for long. I've started choosing foods that are higher in fiber and so on so that I can stay within my calories and be satisfied all day. I shudder at the amount of calories I used to eat- I'd eat closer to 2500 calories a day before I'd say!
  • I tried many diets over the years - most notably Slim Fast and "low fat."

I was always "on" a diet and planned to eventually be "off" the diet. The only thing that worked for me - after 20 years!!- was to finally figure out I couldn't get long term results via short term methods.

I had to make a plan that I could start and never end. Which meant I had to like it! It had to be easy. It had to be tailored for me and what I like.

My plan - whole foods, calorie counting, volumetrics. I lost 70 lbs and have kept it off fr 4+ years. I like it, it's easy, I love the food I eat, there is room for occasional indulgences - I have no reason to stop. It's easy to do this forever.
  • I've changed my way of eating, and I do maintain a calorie deficit, but I don't specifically think about dieting. I mainly eat whole foods as well, aiming for 30% protein. For me, the one thing (in hindsight) that I did wrong was try to eat too little when trying to lose weight. I seem to have inherited my mother's metabolism and burn a load of calories, so going too low just would cause me to freak out and go off the 'diet'.
  • Every diet I tried in the past 12 years did not work. These days I'm sticking to good healthy food, smaller more frequent meals and plenty of exercise daily. That seems to be working for me. Diets didn't work for me, I essentially needed to change my lifestyle, and make changes that I would implement for a lifetime.
  • I've had a bad day food-wise so I'm not really one to talk, but I'm sticking with calorie control at the moment. The difference this time I feel though is that I'm writing everything down and I can see how little things like not eating breakfast can make a huge difference. Record and reward is my motto for success!
  • Atkins
    The Zone
    The South Beach Diet
    Sureslim
    Weight Watchers
    The Special K Challenge
    Eat, Cheat and Melt the Fat Away
    You! On a Diet
    Dr. Phil's diet

I can't remember any more off the top of my head, but I've tried all of those. Currently on Weight Watchers, combining all of the knowledge I aquired from reading those books. I do not regret doing any of the diets. I regret not changing my lifestyle in order to stick to them. Along the way I have learned that it's not nutrition which is my lifeline. It's my lifestyle and habits. It does help to have a lot of knowledge, but that will get you nowhere if you don't change the way you live.

I learned the most reading Atkins and The Zone. The Special K Challenge was garbage, utter garbage.
  • Oh my - the list of what I tried is endless.
    What worked - similar to Glory - calorie counting, but mindfully eating 6 small meals a day - which are whole foods (as much as I can) and balancing my calories (40/30/30). Volumetrics plays a part since I try to have veggies as often as possible.
  • I've tried, Atkins, Nutrisystem, LaWeightloss (2 times), Medifast, a week of WW, fasting, and a bunch of other stuff. Had success with all, but nothing that lasted more than a few months.

Like many of you I am simply watching what I eat, eating nutritious foods, counting my calories, and exercising. And so far so good!

I look back at all the diets that I have tried and I should feel embarrassed because I've ultimately failed at them all. But it doesn't matter to me. Mentally I was not committed for the long haul. Now that I'm older, a little wiser I'm no longer dieting. Like Bossmare said, it's a lifestyle change. And I'm definitely in it for the long run!
  • I went vegetarian 2 years ago, although it's not a diet, it's a way of life.... I also learned that you can indeed, eat too much still, so as far as the diet part goes, it is calorie counting.
  • i refuse to "diet." Anything with the word "die" in it isn't for me.
  • The truth is nothing would have "worked" for me until I was ready to MAKE something work. And when I was really, really ready to lose the weight and put forth the effort that was required, I devised my own plan.
    One that I could do forever. A total and complete lifestyle overhaul. Very similar to Glory's. Calorie counting, choosing highly nutritious, mostly whole, satiating, delicious, voluminous foods, eating frequently.
  • Hello

I've been reading a lot from this thread and thanks to all who has contributed a lot. I myself is also looking for tips on how to stay fit especially now that I will be assigned permanently to work in the night shift.. Yeah I know that is sad. But a job is a job.

Thanks
  • All of you ladies are correct! But I do think we need to make peace with food. This is the way I think of it … If it’s not natural (meaning if I look at the label and cannot pronounce the ingredients or there’s a list a mile long) then I don’t eat it. Why do you think fruits and veggies don’t come with labels? Cause there’s no preservatives or crap in them. However, that doesn’t mean I don’t help myself to some cheesecake every now and then. See ladies all the “crap” that we put in our bodies is making us fat. Not eating. Did you know that on average it takes 150-250 calories to digest food. And that there what they call negative calorie foods? For example … if I eat an apple, let’s say it contains 50 calories, and it takes 150 calories to digest … I’ve actually burned 100 calories by eating!! So that’s why they say to eat small meals 5-6 times a day. It boosts your metabolism and helps you lose weight. You get all your nutrients from whole and natural foods. Do you ever wonder why you get sleepy after a carb loaded dinner at Chili’s … and then two hours later you’re hungry again? It’ because you filled your belly with crap … not the nutrients your body needs … so it starts crying out to you that it needs “the right food”. Listen to your body! See I always got so sick every time I ate… every time my family and I would sit down for supper. I thought something was wrong with me. So … I hardly ever ate. Now I eat all the time and feel awesome. God gave us such a variety of fruits and vegetables. Enjoy them! There loaded with vitamins and nutrients. If you eat those then you won’t have to take vitamins and you will have more energy! Good luck and I hope this helps!

• Umm, the 150-250 calories thing is a myth. Certain foods have been called 0 calories or negative calories such as cucumbers and celery which are so low in calories. The amount of calories burned is pretty negligible though and only a few food items would fit into the negative calorie range. Honestly, it is better not to use 'digestion' calories in any daily caloric calculation. Everyone has a basal metabolic rate which is the amount of calories it takes to sustain yourself daily which is based on a number of factors including the amount of muscle you have, the amount of fat you have and hereditary factors.
    Here is a little blurb about the myth:
    http://health.msn.com/nutrition/arti...ntid=100215779

You might be interested in the Whole Foods forum here, it is for those who are interested in eating foods in their most natural form.
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=209