Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #1  
I love being a mommy!

Height: 5'3"

Default I'm not having a great day...

So, the battery in my scale needed to be replaced, which I did last night. I hopped on the scale this morning after not weighing myself for a couple of days, and it said 219. I was 217 last time I checked.

I have been very diligent about watching what I'm eating and I've exercised every day which is unheard for me (at least in these past few years). I just started making my changes a couple of weeks ago, and I lost a lot the first week. I can kind of understand if I just stayed the same (but not really understand because I thought plateaus happen later on in weight loss), but to actually gain two pounds?

Please, do you have any advice for me, or a word of encouragement to keep my spirits up? I just started this, and I don't want to get down on myself so early in the game...

Last edited by GirlyGirl; 05-08-2009 at 08:04 PM.
GirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #2  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there, and welcome to the forum! And welcome to the wonderful, aggravating, irritating, non-linear world of weight loss!
You are absolutely normal. Same thing happened to me my first few weeks. Lost a bit on week 1, gained in week 2. Massively frustrating!
All I can suggest is to keep the following in mind:
1. Weight will fluctuate depending on your diet, your hydration level, hormonal factors and clothes you are wearing. It is really minimal in the long run and such fluctuations happen to all of us.
2. You just started! You want it off ALL tomorrow! That won't happen! So change your focus from the numbers on the scale to focussing on being on plan 100% and adding exercise to your routine. If you do these two things, the weight will come off.
3. You need to be really, really honest about EVERYTHING you have eaten, including the nibbles, bites, tastes and licks. Often, a guided program is best to help regulate your diet most effectively. This can be anything you like, as long as it is nutritionally sound -- check out the different threads here for programs and hook up with one you like. It'll be easier than trying to do it on your own.
4. Check into the Maintainer's forum STAT! You will need to see what it takes to maintain your weight loss and work those principles into your routine right off the bat. Or else you WILL regain what you've lost. And the Maintainers are a fabulous resource, too.
Don't worry -- it'll work!
You can do it!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #3  
I love being a mommy!

Kira, thank you SO much for the great advice! I will take all of the steps into practice. I am feeling much better right now, I just did two workout videos..my endorphins are flying! Nothing like a good workout to raise my spirits!
Old 05-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Also keep in mind that increasing your exercise drastically can make you retain water for awhile. Could be your muscles are just repairing themselves.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #5  
I love being a mommy!

thistoo, I hope you are right!

I made a promise to myself to not hop on the scale for at least a week. I need to stop the constant weighing in. So I'm going to continue working hard!
Old 05-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Oh yea....I don't even want to get started with scale addiction and even worse, what is up with people who weigh at NIGHT...Oh my gosh...nuts!

Anyway, if you are really doing everything right, your weight is water retention....either from exercise or PMS/TOM. Sweat it out and get on with your plan.

I have my own thoughts on Plateaus...I pretty much think they are a myth...but thats another thread.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #7  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
I have my own thoughts on Plateaus...I pretty much think they are a myth...but thats another thread.
Yes, another thread, I think we could go many rounds on this one...
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #8  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

Don't be too hard on yourself dear. Just remember you are making the right choices and living better. You keep that up in conjunction with the exercise and you will drop the weight.
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #9  
I love being a mommy!

Thanks for chiming in ladies, it really does help. I let the numbers on the scale get to me which is silly. I know that I'm doing great, I feel more alive and full of energy...my pants are fitting looser....my muscles are aching, but in a good way...I must be doing something right! Instead of fixating on the scale, I am going to just put my all into getting healthier.