Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #1  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Upcoming trip and terrified of the airplane ordeal!

So my husband and I are flying to see my parents in a few weeks. I am pretty sure that I will just barely fit in the seatbelt, but my poor husband will need an extension, I am sure (he's overweight too). That bothers me because I know he will be embarrassed but another thing bothers me: we are sitting in seats next to each other and I'm afraid that they will ask one of us to move to the other side of the plane to "balance out the weight." I know this seems silly but it would be horrifying if it happened. Is this an irrational fear, or has anyone ever heard of this kind of thing?
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:07 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 353.6/344.6/180

Height: 5' 9"

hmm, i dont think it would necessarily be to even out the sides of the plane, but for the comfort of you 2, because trust me, when two heavy people are next to each other, it is wayyy uncomfortable, and I usually need to lift one of the armrests so my hips dont have bruises by the end of the flight, so with both of you next to each other, it might get quite painful. ONe suggestion would be to arrange for each of you to have an aisle seat, so youre next to each other, just the aisle between you, ya know what i mean?..when you check in, you can usually arrange it, and also, ask about seeing if its a full flight, and if not, sometimes you can be seated in an empty row, so you will be much more comfortable. good luck, and have lots of fun on the trip! :-)
tlp06289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #3  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Hi there! I worked with an airline company and you won't be moved for weight purposes - so no worries about that. But like Junior said, it will be uncomfortable - especially if you are in the middle. If you get to the airport early you could ask for bulkhead seats - most room and very comfy. Or emergency exit. All you have to be willing to do is assist in the case of emergency. Aisle seats are great too. You should be able to pay a bit extra and choose your seats in advance! Good luck, I know my butt would hardly fit into one a few years ago and it was so horribly uncomfortable. I was squashed in the middle. But if worst comes to worse, take a gravol and have a nice nap - cause your destination is the part that is worth it
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #4  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

I'm an aircraft mechanic and we studied weight and balance arrangements in college when I was studying for my field. The only way you'd reasonably be asked to accomodate the balance needs of the aircraft is on a very, very small airplane, like twenty passenger seats or fewer. I seriously wouldn't worry about anything other than hip bruises, which I have to deal with, too
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I vote for aisle seats . too. Be sure they are in the same row and you will still be close enough to talk to each other. I always travel this way when I am traveling with someone else. The other option is to buy first class tickets, the seats are larger but also more expensive.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I think the fear about being asked to balance out the plane is a bit irrational yes. I'm assuming you're flying on a commercial airline, which means it is going to be a Boeing or something like that. These planes are designed to hold thousands and thousands of pounds.

Still, the seats are small these days, so the suggestions to try to get certain seats is a good idea! I'm sure you both will be fine. Just try to stay comfy if you can!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

BTW, I don't think at your weight you need to worry about the seatbelt much! I think it will fit okay, unless all your weight is in your tummy.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Hey TROO

My brother and I fly together several times a year. I'm ok at my weight, but he weighs about 250...he doesn't have any trouble....but I will say most of his weight is in the belly...

Enjoy your trip!

The flight will probably be a lot easier than you think

Still time to ride around the lake a few times
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Over 300 lbs, I used to travel quite a bit. I think when I reached the 300 lb mark, I no longer needed a seat belt extension.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/240/175

Height: 5'9

I am 5'9 and 240 pounds right now. My husband and I just flew to Texas and I had no problems with the seats or seatbelts. I wasn't even squished in to the seat so I don't think you would have problems with that. But most of my weight is in my boobs! Have fun on your trip!
jessica1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #11  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp06289 View Post
ONe suggestion would be to arrange for each of you to have an aisle seat.
Two aisle seats...GREAT IDEA! I had it thought out that he would want to sit next to me but that would still be sitting next to me. I can pick my seats out in advance (now) and hopefully there is still room to switch. I wish I would have thought of this when I booked the flights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Staccie View Post
Hi there! I worked with an airline company and you won't be moved for weight purposes - so no worries about that. If you get to the airport early you could ask for bulkhead seats - most room and very comfy. Or emergency exit.
It's such a relief to hear someone in the airline industry say that. Thanks for the tips on emergency exits and bulkhead seats, I'll check into that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanweightorbust View Post
The only way you'd reasonably be asked to accomodate the balance needs of the aircraft is on a very, very small airplane, like twenty passenger seats or fewer.
Good to know...I know at least one of the legs of the flights are in small planes but I don't know how small. I'll have to check on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
BTW, I don't think at your weight you need to worry about the seatbelt much! I think it will fit okay, unless all your weight is in your tummy.
Unfortunately, a lot of my weight is in my stomach. BUT the good news is that in January, I flew and barely fit in the seatbelt. And I was about 5 lbs heavier than then. And I still have 3 weeks to lose maybe 3 pounds...every little bit helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Still time to ride around the lake a few times
Hey Gary! Reg and I were just talking about riding at the lake. I think we might go this weekend. We moved, we're in Normal Heights now, so we aren't as close but still it's not far enough to have that excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Over 300 lbs, I used to travel quite a bit. I think when I reached the 300 lb mark, I no longer needed a seat belt extension.
That is comforting. I guess I am worried about my husband's comfort, and that of any passenger that shares our seats!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

The bulkhead seats sometimes have arms that don't raise.

The other thing to think about is that when you check in, you can talk with the agent re: whether the flight is full or not. If not full, they may be willing to try to seat you with an empty seat between you.

I've actually been on one of the little planes where they asked people to move to balance out the plane so I can sympathize with your fear. It's like all eyes are on you. Luckily, I wasn't one of the people asked to move.
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #13  
BELIEVE!

Hi Chris -
I hope you are getting over your fear about the airplane. I just flew this weekend at ~234ish pounds and was completely comfortable. I had about 5 inches to spare on the seatbelt. My hips didn't overhang the seat, the armrest was fine and the table went all the way down. I was on a smallish US Airways plane. Please don't worry about anything. Having flown at close to 350 pounds I know what it's like to be truely uncomfortable on a plane. I really believe you will be fine!!
Have fun and focus on your trip!
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 193/169/145

Smile It's all good...

You may be feeling a little anxiety about the trip itself? I handed out many seat belt extensions in the 12 years I flew for the airlines. It's no big deal, and chances are you won't even need one.

Things usually turn out better than you expect! You and hubby have a good trip!
kellygram is offline   Reply With Quote