Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Not what you thought it would be?

My original goal was 150 pounds, and when I got there - I just wasn't happy. I still felt fat and while I was much smaller, I still didn't like how I looked.

So I changed my goal to 135 pounds, somewhere I never dreamed I would go!

And I realized that it's MUCH more difficult to lose weight the smaller you are. This has been TOUGH. It took several weeks to get out of the high 140's - I just keep hitting plateaus. Now that I'm getting closer to 135 pounds, I'm still not satisfied! I'm ALMOST in a Size 6, which is just AMAZING. I started this LONG journey out at an 18-20! But I don't feel comfortable in my own skin. My arms are still flabby, my mommy tummy isn't flat, my thighs are jiggly.

I know that what I REALLY need to do is tone up, but that's so hard when you're a busy mom. I have started running/walking 3 1/4 miles 3x a week, and I feel so incredibly LIGHT when I'm running and I really enjoy it - I just haven't noticed much of a difference yet. I was thinking of taking some Pilates classes, but I'm just not sure if I'll be able to squeeze it in to my already crazy life!

I really don't think it's a self-esteem issue. I know exactly how fabulous I am! :O) It's really just facts.. I have 'grandma arm', my thighs aren't toned, my hips (while tremendously smaller) still stick out, my belly still pokes out, I still have a 'baby face', and so on. I guess maybe there's your DREAM vision - when you'll be wearing some hot, tight dress - and people will be WOW'ed.. and then a realistic dream, when in the end, you kind of just look like everyone else.

So I just have a few questions..

Did you ultimately change your goal weight because you weren't satisfied?

Did you have to make any BIG changes in what you were doing when you got closer to your goal and/or smaller? Did you start a diet plan, add in new exercise, change your calorie intake, etc?

When did you REALLY feel like you were healthy AND looked good?

What kind of exercise REALLY helped you tone up?

Last edited by MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY; 04-27-2009 at 10:33 AM.
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #2  

Weight training is going to tighten you up! If you can try to work in a few days of weight training into your schedule I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised!

Congratulations on your weight loss!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #3  
Baker's Daughter

S/C/G: 179/142/136

Height: 5' 4"

I though I'd be happy if I got back into a size 14 jeans (bit pear shaped me) but now am aiming for a size 12. Few more pounds off my arse and I'll be there.

Know what you're saying though. The last ten pounds do not want to go!!!

Am trying to feel flattered - they clearly like me and want to be with me always.

MoonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #4  
No description available.

Come join us in weight lifting! There are several busy moms there who are incorporating weight lifting into our lives and with awesome results!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #5  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I forgot what it is called, I think PX90 or something like that....that is supposed to really tone you and build muscle within 90 days. Not sure I would want to be bulky, but toned is a good thing.
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I can certainly relate to this post.

It IS much, much harder to lose the weight once you're no longer fat. I, too, hit several plateaus in the 140s, but managed to reach 135. I decided I was still chunkier than I'd like to be and secretly aspired to lose 10 more pounds. Those 10 pounds slowly crept off in 2-3 months. Just be patient... if you create a caloric deficit, switch up your exercise regimen every now and then, and never go over your caloric limit (whatever you have set for yourself -- I personally set mine to 1200-1300 during that time period), you WILL lose that last bit of weight. It's just a big, frustrating waiting game.

When I got down to 125, I DID feel REALLY GOOD about myself. Unfortunately, maintaining 125 became more difficult than I thought it would be. Things like my VERY BUSY crazy day job got in the way, along with other extracurricular activities I decided to get involved with. I found myself doing the "grab 'n go" routine a little too much and despite still being active, the pounds started creeping back. To put things back into perspective, though, I've only gained back 7-10 of 'em and I'm on the track to losing them again!

What kind of exercise REALLY helped you tone up?

Weight training and resistance bands. In fact, I got so in love with weight training that I decided to enter a bodybuilding competition in August. It DOES work wonders for making you look leaner, BUT BEWARE of one thing: it can make you HUNGRY! I suggest eating protein before and after weight lifting workouts.

Also, I must add that most people can achieve becoming SOME sort of HOT Weight loss can give you loose skin and stretch marks, but come on, girl, cover it up and decorate yourself, you'll look amazing. HOT is all about PRESENTATION...

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 04-27-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: side notes
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

My original goal was 175 and I changed my goal once I got there to be within a normal BMI, (Although the highest weight possible ) I don't think I'll ever be "HOT" but my hubby seems to like the "new me" and that is what is important. I was just telling my dh the other day that the only men who "Check me out" are in their 60-80's ...LOL He was glad to hear it... I'm 43 and feel 23 and my MIL who is 83 has a "tighter" bod. Oh well. I did it to myself one Big Mac at a time, no use crying over spilt milk now.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 05-05-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I absolutely changed my goal once I hit it. My goal was 150, and it has been a struggle to hit 135. I am there though. It was worth it. I feel great, am a size 2-4-6. I say this because I three pairs of jeans at the moment that are those three sizes. I think the 2 is stretching it a bit though, maybe a fluke. Anyways, I have been firming up with softball, running, and rock climbing. I go rock climbing about two times a week for an hour each time. I play softball four times a week and I do about seven tournaments a year. There is a lot of sprinting in softball so I don't do a lot of sprinting on the track. I worked my way up to six miles in an hour last year. I am hoping once the weather is a little nicer, I will be able to pick up where I left off. One thing that I miss though is eating pizza with abandon. I make sure I get it at least once every two weeks, and it really hasn't set me back losing the last ten pounds. I am happy at 135, wouldn't mind being a little closer to 130 so I can have a bunch of wiggle room. Rock climbing has done wonder in the few months I have picked it up again. The best part is, this last ten pounds has helped tremendously with as much as I lift myself and have little speed competitions with my brother. I think you just need to get into some new habits or hobbies. Keeping up with magazines like Runner's World, Women's Health, Outside, SELF have helped me stay motivated and give me something to read while taking a relaxing bath. Right now I have it all figured out, as far as calories in/calories out. I am eating tons of vegis, am taking less sleep medication than I have in months, am not drinking coffee anymore (switched to iced black tea), and am overall a much better mom to my 22-month-old little boy.

I am sure you will get to the point when you feel great. I find that that moment came at 135, for me, and I was trying clothes on and didn't want to tear off my shirt in a Hulk like manner because I finally liked what I was seeing. I realize now that I lived ten years of my life about 20 pounds overweight and hated shopping because of it. I drank a lot at that point and see now that it was just a band-aid for my self-esteem. You can do it. I know that losing those last few pounds can be intimidating, especially if you are thinking why the heck aren't I happy after hitting my goal. In life you constantly will be changing and making new goals -- that's just life. Maybe when you start feeling great about yourself, your new goal will switch into running a half marathon or signing up for city league sports team. Good luck to you!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

You need to be doing weight training. If you don't want to join a gym, use 5, 8, and 10lb dumbells. And you can do pushups and planks.

And congrats on your weight loss!

Last edited by rachinma; 04-27-2009 at 12:30 PM.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

Thank you so much for all of the support and advice, everyone!

I do usually do some machines and weights when I go to the gym, but the gym is just so BORING for me - I am constantly watching the clock and wishing that I wasn't there, which is why I switched it out for running/walking. I run a block, walk a block, and so on. Time flies, so I really enjoy it. I suppose that if I had to go to the gym just to do weights and no cardio, that wouldn't be so bad - though!

Does anyone have any good links that they found helpful with different kinds of weights/routines to do? I am mostly self-conscious about my arms, they have just NEVER been toned - so I am really picky about the kinds of shirts that I will wear. I would love to tone them up without looking like the hulk! My inner thighs are also a problem area, and of course - my C-Section (times two!) tummy!

Last edited by MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY; 04-27-2009 at 09:52 PM.
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #11  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Oh yes, BTDT. My first "goal" was 125, then 120, then 115, and then to say within a range of 110-115. The reason I kept adjusting downward was partly appearance (I could definitely see there was more fat that could go) and partly performance (the lighter I am, the faster I can run). 110 is definitely the bottom end for me, and I have struggled to stay within the maintenance window. But I really like this weight and size (2-4P) and it's worth it to me to work to stay here.

I was working out all along in the weight loss process, and just kept increasing intensity/duration. Heavier weights, longer/faster runs, high intensity interval training. That's what helped keep the weight loss going. The other key for me is to stay absolutely consistent with respect to intake. ONE day off-plan can stall any weight loss for a week for me. That's OK for maintenance, but not for continued loss.

It's ironically cruel that the reward for getting smaller is that now you can't eat as much. BUT, increasing activity helps a whole lot. I work out so that I can EAT! Plus it feels good. So, I have to work out a lot and still really watch what I eat to stay where I'm at -- but it's worth it.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #12  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Same thing with me. My original goal weight was 150, which I chose simply because it fell within the "normal" BMI range for my height. When I was almost 300 pounds, 150 sounded really good to me, but now that I'm actually here I find that I'm not satisfied with it. I still have chunky arms and legs, and a small spare tire that I'd like to lose. There is definitely room for improvement!

The only way to lose the "skinny-fat" look is by weight training. And by that I mean making a serious effort to lift (and lift heavy, stay away from the Barbie weights!) at least 2-3 per week. Since I've started weight training I've noticed an improvement in my overall tone, but I still have ways to go.

And by the way, there are lots of exercises you can do without a gym. Mizfit Online has some pretty good ideas...
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #13  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque9999 View Post
I forgot what it is called, I think PX90 or something like that....that is supposed to really tone you and build muscle within 90 days. Not sure I would want to be bulky, but toned is a good thing.
You won't get bulky unless you:
A. Are a man doing hardcore lifting
B. Are taking steroids while doing hardcore lifting
C. Have amazing genes and lift weights 6-8 hours per day
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

We have similar stats. My start weight was 215, but my highest weight was 232. I have decreased my goal several times because there is just one place or another on my body I am not happy YET.

I am a runner. While my legs are not thin, they are toned and look decent enough for skirts or shorts. Jillian Michaels 30-DS is amazing IMO. My arms are toned now more so than ever. I will even just do some of her moves during the day without doing the whole DVD.

I am a calorie counter and stay under 1500 daily and I have my primary focus on whole foods. I do not "eat back" my calories or whatever. Under Glory287's advice, I am reading Superfoods Rx right now and incorporating the 14 foods mentioned in the book heavily into my diet.

I am in a healthy BMI range and all that but I am not stopping yet because I am not ready to. I am eating what I am supposed to and hope my legs continue to thin out. My measurements today were 34-26.5-35.5. I am in a 4. I have always told myself that I was "big-boned, and that I would never be in a size 8, and that I was a big girl and the weight charts really were wrong!" blah, blah, blah..for years I lied to myself to keep myself from what I really wanted.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 04-27-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #15  
No description available.

OMG!! You are soooo gorgeous! And those kids are BEAUTIFUL!! You really look amazing!

I can't do cardio in the gym. It makes me NUTS. I run and bike outside. I do weights in the gym. Occasionally my trainer will throw in some insane HIIT on the stairmaster or somesuch, but it is so crazy that it is not boring....I can think of some adjectives but I won't!

Check out New Rules of Weightlifting for Women and I hope to see you in our weighttraining forum. There are some serious gurus in there!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote