3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Looking for books on psychology of eating

Old 04-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Junior chick

S/C/G: 228/187/140

Height: 5'6

Default Looking for books on psychology of eating

Dear folks,
As part of my efforts to permanently lose my weight, I'm delving into the psychology of eating. Does anyone have any books they'd like to recommend that go into why we eat? Right now, I'm enjoying reading "Mindless Eating", by Brian Wansink. Any other suggestions?
Thank you so much,
Peep
Peep Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I don't have any recommendations, but I loved that book. Fascinating!

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

Maintained Oct 2007-Sept 2011, then got pregnant. Our baby boy was born in May, 2012...now to lose the baby weight!!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #3

One book that was really helpful to me in that regard is The Thin Books (http://www.amazon.com/Thin-Books-Str...0534822&sr=8-1)

Also, check out the Maintainers board ... there is a sub-board called The Maintainer's Library that has a lot of good suggestions.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 175/160/150

Height: 5'5

I took a class on Stress and Coping this semester for a Psych elective requirement and I thought it was REALLY interesting to learn about the connection between glucocordicoids (stress hormone) and WHY people eat when they're stressed. Very very very interesting stuff and TOTALLY connected the dots for me as to WHY I crave food when I'm stressed, and WHY litterally running the chemicals off is SO important for your entire body. Now when I comfort eat - I understand exactly what it's doing, and why it's so important I get my butt off the couch and physically do something.

I know it's not exactly where you're trying to go with your research but there's a good book called Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers that was recommended by the professor and helps dive in to it - for anyone else who's interested!
We're all waiting on your supernova, 'cause that's who you are.
And you've only begun to shine.."
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Junior chick

S/C/G: 228/187/140

Height: 5'6

Thank you so much for the ideas...I'll find these books and give them a read. I started Dean Ornish's book on healthy eating last night and it was interesting as well, though less about psychology and more about healthy foods.
Peep Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
Transforming

S/C/G: 228/184/164

Height: 5' 7"

Currently I'm reading " The Ultimate Weight Solution - The 7 Keys to Weight loss freedom" by Dr.Phil McGraw..its a nice book and deals lot on the subject of psychology of eating.
I have complete control over my body. What I eat and what I do reflect that. Nobody can stop my progress. I will continue my progress until my goals are met. Then from there I will need to achieve new goals to keep the forward progression of my mind, body, and soul. I motivate myself every day to work out, eat healthy, and live my life to the fullest
rinku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
300+ Chick

I'm re-reading Dr.Phil weight loss book for boost of motivation.

Plan: Calorie Counting at MFP..(L4Liliann12)
Weigh in: 1st and 15th of the month!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
Changing behaviours

Laurel Mellin's "The Solution" might qualify... it "identifies the psychological, physical and lifestyle causes of weight problems - the powerful mind and body drives that lead to overeating and inactivity - and offers the cure for each."

I have never, ever, not even one time regretted not eating something. Never. Not once. Turns out telling yourself no feels marvelous. No deprivation passing up on *those foods*. The deprivation is EATING them and remaining overweight. You've got to raise your standards; requiring more from yourself. Challenge yourself. Push yourself. Work past the discomfort. Every time you do it, it gets easier and easier - Rockinrobin
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.