Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #16  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

What do you mean that you're eating a net calorie balance of 1300? Does this mean you eat more than 1300 calories per day but subtract the amount you assume to burn during exercise?
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

But you only have 1 week of numbers? Cheer up; that's day-to-day data and in my opinion, is unreliable.

Truck on, keep weighing yourself every week and after a month, look at how much you lost for the month.

(Also make sure that you stand on your scale the same way and/or always either take the lowest or highest number for consistency.)

I weigh every Monday morning. I tend to stay the same weight or even show an extra pound or two for 1-2 weeks out of the month -- but I 'lose' a month's worth (7-8 lbs for me lately) during the other weeks combined. Basically I just finally show the loss combined with another week's real loss.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 175/?/130

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drina View Post
What do you mean that you're eating a net calorie balance of 1300? Does this mean you eat more than 1300 calories per day but subtract the amount you assume to burn during exercise?
Yes, I eat about 1700 cal a day but I work about to burn about 400-500 calories. When I dont work out, I dont eat as much
hcred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I agree with Jennelle, who said you're not eating enough.

There are lots of tools on the web that can help you figure out what the proper target for your daily calories should be. Here's one:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I'd say don't even pay attention to the calories burned--that's a really difficult number to estimate. Set your activity level to how many days a week you work out and see what you get. Don't worry about the "extreme weight loss" number--that's not a target.

You can still set your daily average target lower than the number Freedieting gives you, but at least you'll be using a realistic number for your age and activity level.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

It's only been a week...just breathe! When I started counting calories and working out I didn't lose a pound for a MONTH. In fact, I gained five pounds. Keep at it and don't stop...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
It's only been a week...just breathe! When I started counting calories and working out I didn't lose a pound for a MONTH. In fact, I gained five pounds. Keep at it and don't stop...
After that month, did the weight start coming off? well...obviously it did because you lost weight but I mean steadily. I was talking to my bf and he said a lot about how my body has to get used to the way I'm eating and it needs to get used to everything and my metabolism will get better the longer I keep with everything...Thanks so much everyone. I relaly appreciate you taking time to help ease my mind and help me!
Old 04-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I know exactly how you feel. I'm doing WW and this week kicked up my exercise to include an extra 20 - 40 mins per day, I go weigh in and I've gained 1.8 lbs this week!

I stayed within my points but I did eat all the daily points that I should have, I increased my water and cut back on the diet soda so it should have been a great week, but instead I gained!

I'm going to try and stay positive and see what happens next Sunday, but it's very frustrating to do everything right and then see a gain!
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #23  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

If it makes you feel better, I gained three pounds overnight. Yesterday morning the scale said 152, today it said 155. It's water weight.

Give it time - your body will get used to your new lifestyle and the number on the scale will reward your hard work!

I agree with those who say you should probably be eating more. When I first started out, I was eating about 1400 calories a day. I was hungry at night and had no energy. I bumped my calories up to 1700 a day (whether I worked out or not), and the weight steadily came off.
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #24  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcred123 View Post
Yes, I eat about 1700 cal a day but I work about to burn about 400-500 calories. When I dont work out, I dont eat as much
I also doubt you are burning 400-500 calories a day. You have to really rock it out on the elliptical to burn 500 calories. Don't trust what the cardio machine tells you...
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
I also doubt you are burning 400-500 calories a day. You have to really rock it out on the elliptical to burn 500 calories. Don't trust what the cardio machine tells you...
the 400-500 calories are from a half hour on an elliptical, 20 minutes on a bike, some lifting and I live on a huge college campus so I walk at least 2 miles a day. I work in the dining commons as well which is a lot of running around
Old 04-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

WHOOT WHOOT!!!!!

Last edited by flatiron; 04-27-2009 at 10:48 PM.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #27  

haha thats adorable!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

I had roughly the same experience.

I started a (for me, not having done anything before!) vigorous schedule of cardio 4x week plus weight training with trainer 2x week, plus logging every calorie, now on my 9th week. I weight lots more than you so should theoretically lose more initially. I didn't lose ANYTHING for 2 weeks or more, I was at 1700 calories a day (I don't subtract out exercise). So dropped it to 1550 a day, and lost 2 lbs. Then started moving my diet to fewer grains and fruits, more veggies and proteins (and fat, which tend to go with protein), and dropped 5 more pounds. I just started Atkins induction because this has convinced me it is also the composition of food that's important for some people. BTW, I was eating only "good" foods, veggies, fruits, whole grains and lean protein so I wasn't eating "empty" calories.

And, everyone is correct, muscle torn by weight training sucks in water so that is probably part of your weight gain. The exercise itself is soooooooo good for you. It is a process of learning about your body and I know you'll do well!
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote