Cant get it together

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am 60 pounds overweight...I started with WW about 5 weeks ago and now I have already quit and gained all the weight back that I lost.

I am so unhappy. I dont like to go out...none of my clothes fit me...and I just feel uncomfortable in my own skin.

For some reason, my eating has been worse then ever for the past 2 weeks. When I get home from work, i eat everything that doesnt move.

I dont know where to start to get back on track...any advice?
  • Well, first I wonder why you think you "quit". Is it because you don't plan ahead? Or because there are too many extra eating opportunities around? Does the WW plan just not work for you? Are you an emotional eater and eating because of stress? Are you not committed? Or is it something else?

I know we all struggle and for me it's about commitment. When I'm committed I make it through, but when I am committed, things are much easier.

Some people get back on track by jumping back in and changing lots of things at once. I tend to take back my control a little at a time -- and take baby steps.

So, what do you think are your issues? And what's your preference -- all at once or baby steps??
  • Hi! First off...you can do this! You are here posting so clearly you've got something going in the right direction. Just the little bit you said I'm guessing the eating may be emotional? You've got to figure out what works for you...and commit to it! Commitment is huge! You will se that as a recuring topic around here. Is WW just not your thing? Maybe calorie counting would work. Everyone is different. I did WW online for a while because a friend nicely twisted my arm, but I just didn't enjoy it. I prefer to count calories analyze things a bit, plan ahead, make it fun....I love hanging out here for friendship, support, encouragement....

I'd suggest starting by figuring out what you want to do, plan your day ahead of time. Know when you will eat and what you will eat, when you will exercise....

There are several fun ways to keep yourself accountable in the Chicks up for a Challenge area.

I'm sort of rambling by now, but you hopefully get the idea.

Feel free to ask questions, look for ideas....

PS...what area of Philly? I'm south near the PA/DE border.
  • I'm glad you posted and that you are looking at ways to approach this again.

Look at the last few weeks as a learning experience. I agree with the other ladies, can you pin down what worked? What didn't? What changes would have been helpful along the way?

Weight loss is the sum of hundreds of decisions. How can you personally maximize the chances that you will make the decisions that you plan/want to make? I find that I have more success when I plan out my food and exercise in advance. I have also developed a mantra lately that is helpful---when I am considering making a choice that is not on my plan, I say "This is the kind of choice where the rubber meets the road." For me, that means the choice does count, has consequences and can move me closer or further from my goals. Our bodies reflect the sum of our daily choices. It is the small decisions that drive our success.

Never doubt that you have the power to make your choices for health.
  • Quote:
    I am so unhappy. I dont like to go out...none of my clothes fit me...and I just feel uncomfortable in my own skin.
    For me steady, consistent weight loss could not occur until I reached the point where the desire to be thin, fit and healthy OUTWEIGHED the desire for the food. That was a very great place to finally be. Because then I was WILLING, more then WILLING to do what was necessary to lose the weight permanently. I was WILLING to stick to my plan. Because I wanted to be thin MORE THEN I wanted the food.

Quote:
    For some reason, my eating has been worse then ever for the past 2 weeks. When I get home from work, i eat everything that doesnt move.

I dont know where to start to get back on track...any advice?
    For starters, I'd get everything out of the house that doesn't move. No, really, get rid of the junk!!!! You can't eat it if it's not there. And by all means have a PLAN in place. Set yourself up for success. Have good healthy foods to come home to, so that when you feel the need to eat it will be something healthy.

I'd also eat a light healthy snack BEFORE I got home, so as not to be ravenous when you arrive.

But probably the very, very first place to start would be with the DECISION to lose the weight. DECIDE to lose the weight. And then make that COMMITMENT that Heather spoke about.
  • Aaneri,

It helped me to make a list of all the reasons that I wanted to be thin. I still have that list on my bedstand. I read it every morning before I get dressed. I also have the list in my vehicle and I read it every night before I get out the vehicle after work. It reminds me of all the reasons I want to be thin more than I want the food (like Rockin Robin states). It helps me to stay committed, focused, and on plan during weak moments.

I have also learned to repeatedly give myself credit along the way for making good food choices, exercising, and for falling down and standing back up if I temporarily go off plan. By continually giving myself credit my confidence builds. This helps me conquer plateaus when weight loss does not occur. It's different this time...it will not matter a few years from now how long it took, I need to remind myself why it's important to lose weight slowly. My long term success depends on it!

Best wishes...the best things in life are never easy, they are worth working for, accept the challenge!
  • I like what rockinrobin said about the desire to be thin outweighing the desire for food. That really is the point you have to reach not to give in to all the temptation out there. With that said, I helped myself a great deal when I cut way back on processed foods. I pretty much eat whole foods now, with a balance of protein, complex carbs, and good fats, and they are so much more fulfilling. I no longer suffer from bad cravings. I also gave up soft drinks completely and drink only water and hot green tea. It wasn't easy the first few days, but now, it's just what I do. It's for life.
  • It sounds like you are "panic eating" -- we've all done it -- the "OMG I'm HUGE! What am I going to DO? I better eat a donut, cause that'll distract me for now..." The best thing to do about the situation is to JUST. DO. SOMETHING. I didn't wait for the ideal time or for me to feel at my best -- I just took the big step of doing something about it because I was sick of feeling the way that I did, and nothing else was going to make a difference. SO, close your eyes (mentally) and make the decision that you are going to find a structured plan that will work for you, and then just do it! You don't need to be "prepared psychologically" first in order to do this. You just. plain. old. do. it. You can work on the other stuff while you are getting your diet and exercise in order.
    I've so been there, and this is what has helped for me.
    Kira
  • Hey girl! *aaneri*

Please let us know what it was that caused you to temporarily go off the rails

we're here to help!

~ tea
  • Hello *aaneri*
    You should do some lose weight plan, and you abide your plan, I think you will gain a good result.
  • My gut reaction to your post was that WW was not fitting into your lifestyle if you quit after only 5 weeks. Did you do "too much, too soon"? Maybe the plan you were following was too extreme for your body, and you rebelled.

Try counting calories -- it works like WW, but it's free! And make small changes, baby steps, to tweak your diet. You won't be as likely to rebel when the changes are very small and manageable.
  • Hello all,

I want to thank you all so much for your posts. I am reading your posts and they are bringing me to tears because I love all the support.

I hear what you are all saying and I agree...I need to MAKE A COMMITMENT...and then figure out how I am going to do this.

I think what I need to have is a plan of how I am going to lose weight...I always think that writing down what I eat is SUCH A PAIN...and writing reminders to myself about why I want to lose weight is corney...but...obviously I need to find something that works for me.

I have to assume that I am over weight watchers. I have joined WW about 10 times in the last year and quit. The only thing I like about WW is that it forces me to get on the scale once a week.

I did read Beck's Book (cognitive behavioral therapy) and I still have the materials. The cards are sitting next to me in my desk right now.

I either want to start counting calories or eating 6 small meals a day. However, I have found it difficult to find information on eating 6 smalls meals a day. Anyone have any advice for this?

All I DO KNOW is that I cant go on like this for much longer. I dont even like showering anymore because I cant stand to have to look at myself. I am 27 years old and I cant believe I have let myself get like this.

My plan for today is to read my cards and then write down what I am going to eat.

Thank you all for your kind words!!
  • I don't do anything specific, I just count calories. If it isn't in my calorie budget, I don't eat it. I don't just eat what I want, though. I eat about 5 small meals a day, sometimes 6. So I eat like this, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, somtimes a snack. I usually don't eat a snack after dinner because I don't like having food on my stomach or feeling full after 8pm, that's just me. Most of my calories come at lunch because I usually workout around 3 or 4pm, so I need that energy to power through my workouts.

It looks like the thing you liked most about WW, you can do yourself. You can still weigh yourself every week, just go to a gym with a scale or if you can handle it, buy scale and do it that way. You can do this, make a commitment!
  • How do I determine how many calories I need per day?

Also, my cravings at night after dinner are really strong and I always want something sweet. Any advice?
  • It sounds like WW is not a good fit for you.

I think sometimes and I've experienced this a little bit myself, people who are dieting get tired and want a break. However, the break lasts, you know "I'll start back on Monday"...I've been saying that to myself a lot lately and that makes NO sense to me, yet I found myself doing it. I realized I was tired of trying to do this and was in this dieter frame of mind, which doesn't work for me personally. I need to focus on changing my lifestyle and I have made significant changes that are now apart of my lifestyle. Even still, it can be overwhelming to have to learn how to take care of myself! lol

For me personally, I've identified where my issues are and working through them is a real challenge for me. However, it is my challenge and I'm not one of those people who like WW or ediets, jennycraig, or whatever. I don't fit into that. I'm very stubborn and want my life to be MY way lol.

Maybe you're one of those people who could make small changes and see how it goes. Maybe another program would work for you...it really is what you want as you know yourself.

You can do it, we all can.