3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Best or worst compliment you've ever gotten? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/169314-best-worst-compliment-youve-ever-gotten.html)

kelly315 04-15-2009 07:46 PM

Best or worst compliment you've ever gotten?

I definately want to hear the best compliments you guys have gotten, or the worst. I'm sure you know the ones, where it's an insult phrased like a compliment:
Like, you'd be so pretty if you lost some weight.

Those ones.

One of the most bizarre and insulting ones I got was from someone who looked at a before/during picture of mine. It was something along the lines of...wow, see what a good bra can do? :p

What about you guys?

onesy 04-15-2009 07:47 PM

One of the worst: "You've lost so much weight! Your facial features used to be all squished together, but now they're more defined!" womp womp...

Breannaj1215 04-15-2009 08:14 PM

Your face is gorgeous.

Umm hello what about my body ???

lol

cdawnfine 04-15-2009 08:15 PM

Thats easy it's the same one

OMG you lost a ton of weight and look so great I almost did not recognize you

Windchime 04-15-2009 08:19 PM

"Love your hair! It looks SOOO much better!"

kelly315 04-15-2009 08:25 PM

:p these are both kind of cruel and kind of funny (in the fact that people actually think that these are compliments!)

Tomato 04-15-2009 08:39 PM

A male colleague (a good friend) of mine calls me a skinny *****.
I love it!

JustFluffy 04-15-2009 08:47 PM

I recently had a birthday and most people hadn't seen me for at least 4 months and I'd lost around 20lbs plus I'd been working out so my body shape was quite different.

Most everybody looked surprised when they saw me but said, "Hey, you look really GREAT!" Then one friend squealed,"Oh my God, you've lost so much weight! Wow!"

Even though it was a compliment it was a bit awkward.

VermontMom 04-15-2009 08:55 PM

"Oh my god, what, did you lose like 50 pounds or something?!?"

I had lost about 22 :shrug: :devil:

kiramira 04-15-2009 09:39 PM

OK, so a friend of mine and I are in Italy at an open-air market. I weighed 212 at the time, as did she. We are walking through the market, and the salesguys are yelling "Ciao, bella" which means "Hey, beautiful" to all the ladies who are walking by. So we hear this and think "how wonderful" and go into the market area, when a lone voice out of the crowd yells at us "I HAVE YOUR SIZE!!!!"
CRINGE.....
Kira

sidhe 04-15-2009 11:15 PM

I was playing raquetball with a male friend who is a self-proclaimed "fat admirer". He likes his women large, like 350+ pounds large. At the time I weighed about 270. We were taking a breather and he looked at me and said,

"You know, you're not shaped like any other large woman I know."

He thought it was a compliment, and went on to say he wanted to have a chance to 'explore' my body and learn how it was the same/different from his other lovers! I still can't quite get my head around it. :shrug:

canadianwoman 04-16-2009 02:14 AM

Both from the same guy.....

"You look a lot better with short hair"

"You've got nice eyebrows"

:?:

est1991 04-16-2009 03:24 AM

ok, one time when i was getting changed for soccer practice (i was in the school bathroom) someone was complaining about the running we did, and someone else said that it would build calf muscle. i said i really didn't need anymore calf muscle (my calves have NO fat on them, it's all muscle) and this girl that i really hate said 'are you sure thats muscle, i mean, look at the rest of your body'. then, last night at a school concert i was eatting a little baggy of something and the same girl came and asked for some, since i didn't like her i said no and she said 'you know all that will go straight to your thighs'. i really don't like that girl, she is sooooo rude!

Brown Eyed Staccie 04-16-2009 03:31 AM

Best compliment ever?

When I first lost a ton of weight I was putting my stuff away at the gym and I smiled at this lady who was sitting there looking really glum. I sat down and said, "Hey what's up" - and she had tears in her eyes and said, "I wish I could look like you". I was shocked. I hadn't realized until then how good I did look. So we went for coffee and I shared everything with her. We exchanged emails and chats at the gym and she went on to really lose some weight. And what she did for me was amazing too!!

Recently I went back home after a year of being away. I have gained over 30 pounds and it's very noticeable. So many people said, wow you lost weight with that awkward avoiding eye contact - why say anything at all? GRRR

twilightnurse 04-16-2009 04:06 AM

One of my earliest memories was from a boy in 7th grade. He had moved away after kindergarten, then moved back and saw I had gained a lot of weight in that time. He said "Hey you must've eat a lot of cookies since kindergarten." Now that I'm an adult, I realize that kids don't always know what to say and don't think when they say stuff. But as awful as this may sound--it brings me great satisfaction today to know that I'm successful with a great family, friends, and boyfriend - and he is......in jail. LOL

Also,

My former boss, who is a very nice lady and friend of my mother once told me "You have a gorgeous complexion! I bet you could be a model if you would just lose some weight!"

Yep. Thanks a lot.

A compliment that I'll never forget was from my brother who was 13 at the time. About that time, I had lost 42lbs in a short time frame, and we happened to be watching a video with me in it at my heaviest weight, when suddenly he paused the video and said, "Hey look sis! It's like one of those weight loss commercials--ya know--like "BEFORE" (pointing to the paused video), and "AFTER" (pointing at me)

I thought it was cute, and made me feel very good about myself. :)