3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Snacks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/169000-snacks.html)

Breannaj1215 04-11-2009 06:15 PM

Snacks

Any suggestions on filling snacks in between meals??

The only raw veggies I like is:
Carrots, Celery, peppers,

Whats edamine?

Tomatoes with vinegar? Is that ok to eat?

SweetScrumptious 04-11-2009 06:19 PM

Edamine is like a soy bean. You can get it fairly often at japanese restaurants or in the frozen isle of some supermarkets. Edamine is steamed. It tastes better when sea salt is sprinkled onto the shells. Now, you don't eat the shells. Instead, you kind of just suck the beans out from them. They have a lot of protein in them and are fairly good for you.

Some good snacks that I like: a serving of almonds (nonsalted), an apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter on it, whey isolate protein shake, babybel light cheese (the waxed kind), kashi go lean bars... and so many others!

Breannaj1215 04-11-2009 06:23 PM

What about the protein shakes? wat kind is a good choice? is it a meal replacement or a snack?

SweetScrumptious 04-11-2009 06:35 PM

I wouldn't call it a meal replacement... more of a protein supplement.It should never be a meal replacement unless you are eating 5-6 meals a day (as in... you are body building). If you are trying to lose weight, you still need to eat 3 well balanced meals. I would have protein shake for a pre or post workout as then your body has enough protein maintain muscle and excellerates fat loss. It also helps to prevent muscle tears/injuries. Make sure you drink low cal versions since you are trying to lose weight.

The brand I use is Optimum Nutrition [Gold Whey Standard]. This has the most bang for back - as in, highest quality. It comes in a variety of flavors and it's low cal. If I could post links I'd give it to you but I'll just tell you how to search it: go into google and search "optimum nutrition 100% whey gold standard". It should be the first link. If you have bad cholesterol, you are best to get a pure isolate protein shake (but these are twice the price). The shake I showed you is a mix between isolate and concentrate.

Razorcandy 04-11-2009 06:38 PM

I think its also called Edamame (pronounced Ed-a-mom-aye), they are so good!

Another good snack is Hearts of Palm. 2 sticks are just 20 calories.

Jpye 04-11-2009 07:17 PM

This may not be the most healthiest snack out there, but I have recently discovered the Special K Chocolatey Delight cereal. I looooove this stuff!!!

Reddalice 04-11-2009 07:49 PM

Shakes, the kind you buy not make, tend to be high in sugar and carbs. Though I occasionally indulge in an Slim Fast that tides me over for about 2-3hrs when I'm active (is says at least 4hrs, but that's advertisement for you.) I also like whey protein shakes, whew...whey carries.

BarbPA 04-11-2009 08:07 PM

I'm sure you'll get loads of ideas. Some of my favs are:

Cottage Cheese
Fruit
Hard boiled eggs (usually toss the yolks)
Baby carrots with hummus
Yogurt (sometimes with granola)
Cheese (good with an apple)
P'nut butter (also yummy w/ apple or banana)
Turkey Pepperoni

and so on...

:)

unwanted37lbs 04-11-2009 08:09 PM

i like to eat something that contains more water in it.. like friuts. My fave is bosc pear :) They do fill me up and i like eating them :) also a small bawl of mixed veggies? or whole grain bread with water :)

Sweetcaroline 04-11-2009 10:30 PM

I don't know if I could survive w/out my low salt rice cakes and Laughing Cow cheese... 2 cakes, one wedge = 105 cals...

Onmyway 04-11-2009 10:57 PM

I like Trader Joe's baked blue tortilla chips and salsa. I also make my own corn relish with black beans, corn, onion, tomatoes with green chilis and cilantro.

angel2be 04-11-2009 11:23 PM

Try some hummus with your crudites. Its delicious and the vegetables are so filling its great for a snack.

Horo 04-12-2009 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorcandy (Post 2694438)
I think its also called Edamame (pronounced Ed-a-mom-aye), they are so good!

Just to clear up confusion about the name, the steamed soybean that I believe we are all referring to is exclusively called "edamame", translated to English meaning 'twig(eda) bean(mame)' :)

Anyway, here are some snacks I enjoy:
any kind of fruit, edamame, hummus with pita chips or carrots, yogurt, tablespoon of peanut butter on an apple, turkey bacon, whole wheat english muffins, salsa or guacamole with tortilla chips, fruit smoothie, laughing cow cheese wedge on whole grain crackers, hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, etc.

cfmama 04-12-2009 11:50 AM

I routinely enjoy for snack:
yogurt cup
applesauce cut
2 celery stalks and 2 laughing cow wedges
oz of almonds
oz of cheese melted on 2 wasa bread
low salt multigrain pretzels
slice of whole grain bread with 1 T peanut butter
1T peanut butter and apple slices
glass of skim milk and 1T peanut butter

good luck!

jajabee 04-12-2009 01:35 PM

For snacks, I like bananas, oranges, strawberries, and cherry tomatoes. Whenever I feel like I just need to sit down and eat a LOT of food, I go buy a pound of fresh strawberries (less than 200 calories) or a pint of cherry tomatoes (less than 100 calories) and chow down. :) I've eaten many a strawberry in the car on the way home from the gym. :)