Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/196/135

Height: 5'7"

Default No time to exercise

I'm not really sure what happened, but my work somehow has been scheduling me for crazy hours. My total hours this work are close to 60. All I do is come home and relax for an hour, go to sleep, and do it over again. I have not exercised one bit this whole week and it's making me anxious. Where can I find time to fit it in on those busy days? I'm off this Sunday and Tuesday and go to work later in the day on Monday so would it be okay to exercise really hard those 3 days knowing that I probably won't get much exercise in the next 4 days? What do you guys do for those of you who have hectic schedules?

Btw, I work at a doggie daycare and spend 8 to 10 hours walking around, giving baths, cleaning, playing (hardcore playing as in running around, jumping in the air, wrestling, etc), etc so I just can not exercise when I come home. I want to, but my body physically refuses to cooperate. So exercising after work is not an option.

Thanks guys.
cammieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #2  

Height: 5'11"

It sounds as if you already *are* exercising every day. I would think that, depending on how much time you are spending with the hardcore playing with your doggy friends, then you could count that as your exercise for those days. I don't know about working "extra hard" on your days off; I think I would just try to do your regular workout, whether or not that is weights or walking or whatever you normally do. And don't forget--you also need a day of rest somewhere in there!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 187/171/125

Height: 5'4''

Hi Cammieb,

I agree with Windchime- it sounds like you're doing a lot of exercise already! My theory is that the more exercise you can bring yourself to do, the better. So, if you feel like you have the stamina to push extra hard on your off-days, I say go for it. If not, I wouldn't worry about it unless your weight loss really comes to a stand-still. It looks like you're doing great so far, though!

primaballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Since you have a physical job, why not do some short, targeted routines when you come home. Or, get up 15 minutes early and do them before you go to work.

What muscle groups are not being hit by your work routine? Target those. And, maybe some yoga or pilates for your core and balance.

I like the 10 minute solutions DVDs. They have 5 ten minute workouts so you can still exercise - even if you only have a few minutes.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #5  

Thanks CountingDown. I'll have to look into those. Do you know where I can get them?
Old 04-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Half.com or Amazon have them
If you go to collagevideo.com - you can watch snipets to see if they are what you are looking for
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

My exercise philosophy (which I admit, it not popular with my peers who think they need to suffer at the gym every day...) is to get moderate exercise in your daily life. It sounds like you already have that! That's great! In fact, I envy you because I am stuck in a cubicle every day for 9 hours a day.

What are your exercise goals? Why do you feel you need to get more exercise?

And if I may say, you are not overweight, so if your primary motivation is to lose more weight.... well, maybe you should reconsider.

Last edited by jellydisney; 04-12-2009 at 07:15 PM.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #8  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

When I don't have much time I do some of the short exercise videos on Spark People. They're anywhere from 5-15 minutes in length, so I can squeeze them in even when I'm rushed. I especially like the ab, thigh, and butt workouts!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:47 AM   #9  

I found the 10 minute solution dvds at Sports Authority. I have to wait until next paycheck, but I'm glad I know where to get them now.

My exercise goals are 24 hours of exercise a week. Theoretically, I'd like to get in 19 hours of cardio and 2 hours of strength a week, and 3 hours of stretching and flexibility training. I rarely works out that way though. weight loss is my primary motivation and I know I'm not technically overweight but I definitely look it because I have practically no muscle. I want to be stronger as well.

I didn't even know sparkpeople had exercise videos. I have an account so I check those out. Thanks a bunch.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:37 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Cammie... That seems like too much exercise. It's no wonder you can't find the time! Maybe consider lowering your expectations? You can make a lot of progress with 10-14 hours per week. Just a thought!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:24 AM   #11  

I think you do enough exercise everyday. If you feel that's not enough for you. you can get up early for a walk or walking back to your home when you fished you work.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 244/239/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammieb View Post
I found the 10 minute solution dvds at Sports Authority. I have to wait until next paycheck, but I'm glad I know where to get them now.

My exercise goals are 24 hours of exercise a week. Theoretically, I'd like to get in 19 hours of cardio and 2 hours of strength a week, and 3 hours of stretching and flexibility training. I rarely works out that way though. weight loss is my primary motivation and I know I'm not technically overweight but I definitely look it because I have practically no muscle. I want to be stronger as well.

I didn't even know sparkpeople had exercise videos. I have an account so I check those out. Thanks a bunch.
Wow...if you give yourself 1 rest day per week (which, from what I've heard is typically recommended if you're working yourself hard the rest of the week)...that makes 4 hours per day of solid exercise. That's a rough schedule, especially if you have other responsibilities like a full time job!

I've been told to aim for 30-60 minutes per day 5-6 days per week, but I'm pretty out of shape at the moment, so your mileage may vary. Depending on what you're doing, you can get a good hard workout in much less time than 4 hours per day though. If you doubt me, try racquetball -- killer cardio / body work in a very short time period...

Good luck!
Betony
Betony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #13  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

24 hours out of each week to exercise? How will you EVER be able to keep that up? Do you have children? If not, do you plan on children? A mate/significant other? This is an unrealistic expectation if you ever plan on having a life outside the gym. Just sleep and exercise alone will burn up 11 hours a day...a 9 hour work day that's 20 hours. That leaves you 4 hours to pay bills, cook, clean, grocery shop, laundry, family, friends, spirituality, etc.... Good luck with all that. I hope you have a good support system.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammieb View Post
My exercise goals are 24 hours of exercise a week.
You really have to know that is way, way, way, way, way, way, way out of the norm. Did I say way?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
24 hours out of each week to exercise? How will you EVER be able to keep that up? Do you have children? If not, do you plan on children? A mate/significant other? This is an unrealistic expectation if you ever plan on having a life outside the gym. Just sleep and exercise alone will burn up 11 hours a day...a 9 hour work day that's 20 hours. That leaves you 4 hours to pay bills, cook, clean, grocery shop, laundry, family, friends, spirituality, etc.... Good luck with all that. I hope you have a good support system.
I don't have a significant other, or friends. I have a child that does not live with me that I never get to see, but that's a whole other issue in itself. My only family here in HI is my mom, who I live with, so I do more time than most, I think.

I think it sounds like a lot because I didn't explain it right. I stretch 30 minutes a day and generally do that at night on the floor as I'm watching t.v. Just mild stretching. I also do strength training at home, right before I stretch on days I do it. The cardio is really the only thing I have to go out to do and I count the hour I spend walking home from work as an hour of cardio because I walk briskly. On my days off, I swim for 2 hours and do an hour of HILT in addition, so usually twice a week, 3 times a week if I can fit it in. On the other days, I just do an hour of aerobics or walk/jog intervals. So really, on most days I'm going out of my way to exercise for about an hour and on "high" days, I go out of my way 3 hours, but 2 of those hours are swimming, which i love.