3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Sleepy? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/168980-sleepy.html)

Razorcandy 04-11-2009 11:59 AM

Sleepy?

I've lost about 5 lbs so far. I am really excited about that. However I am really tired since I started losing weight.

A few nights ago I slept 12 hours. :?:Lastnight I slept about 10 hours. I never need that much sleep. I am typically great with about 8.

Is this common? Any ideas? I might get a b12 shot today, wonder if that will help.

kaplods 04-11-2009 12:41 PM

How many days are we talking since the dieting's started. If it's been less than 10 days, it's probably too soon to be able to pinpoint a direct cause.'

I think that fatigue can be the body's response to a sudden and drastic calorie drop. It's the body's way of adjusting to the lower calorie level if it were a sign of "famine." Decrease food needs by decreasing caloric needs.

Still, I think it's probably too early to make guesses, because there are also so many other possible explainations, some of which have absolutely nothing to do with weight loss.

Razorcandy 04-11-2009 01:08 PM

I lost 5 lbs in one week.

My caloric intake is down to about 1500 - 1700 per day. During that week I had 1 cheat day, I allowed myself.

I haven't introduced any real exercise yet. I do walk the dog about 15 minutes per day but thats been going on for years.

kaplods 04-11-2009 01:14 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned yet. If you use a food journal, saving a spot to write how you feel physically and/or emotionally, and even how long you slept at night and even naps, can help you see patterns, but it takes times for patterns to become obvious.

Razorcandy 04-11-2009 01:21 PM

Thank you for the advice

Suzyszoo 04-11-2009 01:24 PM

I noticed too, that when I started losing weight I became more tired. I think it was just my body's way of adjusting to the lack of caffeine/sugar/etc that it was used to running on. I feel better, sleep better, and the tired feeling is gone now after a month.

I'm eating better now, taking a multi plus an iron and fish oils, just to make sure the fatigue wasn't anemia again.

Keep an eye on it, track the pattern. But, if you're concerned - never hurts to ask your doctor.

Razorcandy 04-11-2009 01:31 PM

Actually, now that you have mentioned it...

My sleep quality is way UP. Not only am I sleeping longer but I am sleeping better. So perhaps this is something really positive.

Thanks all.

JulieJ08 04-11-2009 04:39 PM

One thing I notice when I'm active, eating well, and off caffeine, is that I'm more sensitive to my sleepiniss (and alertness), in much the same way as I become more sensitive to my hunger and satiety. I think it's just being more in tune with your body. Feeling especially sleepy at night might be analogous to finally learning what hunger feels like after a lifetime or many years of always stuffing yourself.