Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/230/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Sleepy?

I've lost about 5 lbs so far. I am really excited about that. However I am really tired since I started losing weight.

A few nights ago I slept 12 hours. Lastnight I slept about 10 hours. I never need that much sleep. I am typically great with about 8.

Is this common? Any ideas? I might get a b12 shot today, wonder if that will help.
Razorcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

How many days are we talking since the dieting's started. If it's been less than 10 days, it's probably too soon to be able to pinpoint a direct cause.'

I think that fatigue can be the body's response to a sudden and drastic calorie drop. It's the body's way of adjusting to the lower calorie level if it were a sign of "famine." Decrease food needs by decreasing caloric needs.

Still, I think it's probably too early to make guesses, because there are also so many other possible explainations, some of which have absolutely nothing to do with weight loss.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #3  

I lost 5 lbs in one week.

My caloric intake is down to about 1500 - 1700 per day. During that week I had 1 cheat day, I allowed myself.

I haven't introduced any real exercise yet. I do walk the dog about 15 minutes per day but thats been going on for years.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't be too concerned yet. If you use a food journal, saving a spot to write how you feel physically and/or emotionally, and even how long you slept at night and even naps, can help you see patterns, but it takes times for patterns to become obvious.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #5  

Thank you for the advice
Old 04-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

I noticed too, that when I started losing weight I became more tired. I think it was just my body's way of adjusting to the lack of caffeine/sugar/etc that it was used to running on. I feel better, sleep better, and the tired feeling is gone now after a month.

I'm eating better now, taking a multi plus an iron and fish oils, just to make sure the fatigue wasn't anemia again.

Keep an eye on it, track the pattern. But, if you're concerned - never hurts to ask your doctor.
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #7  

Actually, now that you have mentioned it...

My sleep quality is way UP. Not only am I sleeping longer but I am sleeping better. So perhaps this is something really positive.

Thanks all.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

One thing I notice when I'm active, eating well, and off caffeine, is that I'm more sensitive to my sleepiniss (and alertness), in much the same way as I become more sensitive to my hunger and satiety. I think it's just being more in tune with your body. Feeling especially sleepy at night might be analogous to finally learning what hunger feels like after a lifetime or many years of always stuffing yourself.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote