Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #1  
Rubber Ducky

S/C/G: 341/307/135

Default Boycotting Fast Food

God I am so done with fast food. I was doing well on my program, eating well, exercising, so I went to a fast food place and decided to get something small. I didn't get the whole meal, just the sandwich, you know, just as a treat.

However, I went TWICE in one week. First to Taco Bell where I got two chalupas, and then a few days later where I went to McDonald's and got one of the mini meals. I feel like I have FAILED. I gave into the temptation, the draw of fast food. I gained 4 pounds this week.

A major downfall in this struggle. 15 pounds lost, 4 gained because of FAST FOOD. So I decided.... ALL FAST FOOD IS TERRIBLE. It's loaded with calories, saturated fats, sugar, etc. I compared it to sticking your head in a dumpster and then eating everything in sight.

I'm disappointed with myself for going to a fast food place twice in one week, an that I ruined 4 pounds worth of effort. So I'm boycotting it all together. I will never eat it again. That's how I got to this point in the first place.

Anyone else want to boycot fat food?!
glitterducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #2  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Heck yeah, I'll join in the boycott!!!
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Im with you
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

I have not visited fast food since September 4, 2007. There are still times when my car wants to automatically turn in BUT I don't. Why is it we "treat" ourselves for eating well and losing weight with food? (sorry - off the post)
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

I totally agree! Fast food ruins any effort I've given in the past. I'll join this boycott!!!

(I'll start tomorrow...I had pizza for lunch. Dang!!)

Last edited by Saramommy; 03-29-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Saramommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/196/135

OMG, yes! I went to Taco Bell once this week and got those 99 cent nachos, thinking that one time wouldn't hurt. Pffft. 1 1/2 pounds gained. Horrible. Simply horrible. I'm so joining this boycott.
cammieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/150

You have not gained four pounds of fat from eating two modest fast-food meals. The two things you ate won't have even weighed close to four pounds, let alone four pounds of solid fat. A normal burger from a fast food place like McDonalds weighs around 200g.

The more likely explanation for your gain is that you may be retaining more water than usual. Fast food tends to be high in sodium, and this may be what's caused the numbers on the scale to go up. Weight fluctuates naturally too, whatever you put into your body, and it could just be that a natural fluctuation up has also coincided with this meal, making the effects appear even more dramatic. Sure, weight and bloating from water isn't desirable, but when people try and lose weight it should be fat that you want to lose, not weight in general. Water weight can come and go much more rapidly and it's nothing to get really worried over (unless of course, you have a real problem with frequent water retention because of a diet that is persistently high in sodium).

I'm not saying that it's a bad idea to avoid fast food at all. But I think you just need to choose not to eat it for the reasons you said in that it's high calorie, high in saturated fat, sodium etc, not because it's appeared to make you gain weight from just a couple of portions. Those are all good and sensible reasons, but at the same time, I really don't think you should misrepresent the actual fat-gain effects from eating one or two meals of fast food.

Personally, I'll never ban myself from eating fast food. I have it maybe a couple of times a month, and I personally don't believe in banning any foods that I enjoy from my diet. If I start to hate fast food, I'll stop eating it. For me, when I start demonising foods and banning them, that is when I feel like a fat person on a diet, not just a regular person who wants to eat healthily for life. I don't know your personal circumstances, and obviously, your views are different to mine, there's no one "right" way to go about things.

I sincerely hope that I don't come across as impolite or disrespectful in my post. If banning fast food outright works for you then by all means do it. I just don't want you to feel rubbish and worry that you've gained four pounds of fat when it's just not possible for that to have happened from the situation you've described. Just make sure to drink plenty of water over the next few days, avoid high-sodium foods, and I think you may find those pounds drop off.
tinycities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

I ate a lot of fast food as a kid, it was a normal thing to do in my family. Not so in my husband's family. I'd already started eating less before I met him 8 years ago, but his views of it sealed the deal... in our house, "fast food" isn't food at all. We don't see it as an option up for consideration.

Now, of course, we've both also been pretty decently overweight for most of our lives (he lost his 3 years ago and it's not coming back), so it's not like cutting out fast-food is a miracle cure or anything, but I am very, VERY happy that I'm not giving McDonald's any more money for them to brainwash us and kill the planet. :P
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I haven't eaten fast food in around 4 years. It isn't something I miss in the slightest. All I have to think as I drive by McDonalds is "there's poop in that meat" (Fast Food Nation) and I have no desire to eat poo, you know?
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #10  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

For me, its simple. I have high blood pressure right now, I got fat from eating fast food all of the time. I haven't touched it in two weeks. I can't even afford to eat out all of the time anyway, so it's a no-brainer----BOYCOTT! lol
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #11  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am a big believer in "whatever works for you" so if banning fast food works for you, I say go for it. It has worked for me to work some fast food into my diet. About twice a month, I eat at the Subway on my campus instead of taking my lunch. I can have the ham and turkey sandwich for about 350 calories or a salad for less.

I use Taco Bell to satisfy serious fast food carvings. My family loves to pick up Taco Bell and we do that about twice a month. I get one hard shell taco which is 150 calories. I make sure that I have a bag of shredded lettuce in the frig and I dump the shredded lettuce into a huge bowl, break up the hard taco into the lettuce and stir. I have a huge salad that I love for less than 200 calories.

I had to totally ban the chicken biscuit meal from Hardee's that I used to love. About 3 months after I start this journey, I saved the calories for that breakfast. I was so disappointed! It was just a mouthful of grease that I ended up throwing out.

So I guess I limit my fast food but do not ban it altogether. That would probably just make me want it more.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #12  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I understand! I gave up fast food for Lent, but I think I'll be give it up for good even when Lent is over. It's been 26 days and I don't miss it at all. The hardest part was always on Fridays - that's my usual going out to lunch day and since giving up fast food, I bring my lunch 5 days a week now. Plus, it saves us money (around $40-50 a month)... and I'm losing weight.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Haven't touched it since July 2004. For me, it's not even real food, there's nothing of nutritional value in it. Tasting good isn't enough for me to eat it. I respect folks that want to keep everything in moderation, but I just can't eat it - to me, it's nearly to the level of rat poison. Another great book to read is Food Matters by Mark Bittman - learning about what goes into producing a fast food burger (energy wise) it's pretty compelling stuff.

Last edited by Glory87; 03-29-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #14  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

In an emergency on the road I have ordered a grilled chicken breast and thrown away the bun. I eat the tomato, lettuce and chicken. It's saved me a couple times when I was starving and didn't have any food with me.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I am joining the boycott, as a personal preference for me. I agree that the food has almost no nutritional value-- although it tastes good. As well, it seems like the more I eat the more I want-- one trip turns into two, three, and so on. It is better just to cut it out as a choice for ME.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote