Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default What makes you fat?

I saw a commercial at the gym tonight about the show. I couldn't hear anything since I had headphones on...but it does look kind of interesting. Looks like they are going to talk about 10 diet myths. Anyone else hear about this show or going to make an effort to watch it? I believe it's on discovery health.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #2  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

I haven't heard of the show but I can tell you what makes me fat - giving in to my every food whim! lol
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

the cheesecake ice cream i just ate
Scorpio1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:11 AM   #4  

Default What makes you fat?

Any food that is eaten a bit too much out of proportion will make you fat.Your food should be balanced with more of fiber than protein and dairy.
helpline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think while it's true that ultimately it all boils down to food and exercise, there are issues that make it more complicated than that.

For example, I tried for more than 3 decades to conquer my constant appetite. Even when I was full to bursting, I still often felt a bizarre drive to continue eating. It was like I had no hunger "off" switch. There was no satisfied, only "can't eat another bite."

Even at a fairly young age (I hit puberty at only 9 or 10) I realized there was a hormonal component, in that the week before and a few days into my period, I'd feel like a caged, starved animal. I've never been a chocolate fan, except during that time of month.

In my early 20's I started asking doctors about stacking birth control pills to prevent periods (starting a new pack of pills every three weeks, instead of 4 - skipping the placebo week - basically very similar to bc like Seasonique), thinking that if I could keep a constant level of hormones, I could prevent the crazy hunger and intense menstrual cramps (the wish-I-could-just-die-to-get-relief kind). I was discouraged from trying it, though until only about a year ago.

The change in birth control did help amazingly. I also discovered that low carb dieting makes my hunger disappear even more (almost completely, actually). I struggle with that, because I've always thought (and still do, to a degree) that low carb dieting isn't particularly healthy. The more I read, the less I think that, but it's hard to swim upstream in this carb-obsessed culture. I'm really starting to believe that I may need to stick to a much lower carb diet than I have been (even though I try to limit myself to two starch servings and 2 pieces of fruit daily).

It just seems that hunger is out of control if I eat not just refined carbs, but even grains, high starch veggies and some fruits.

Yes, ultimately it's what I put in my mouth, and how much I'm moving my body, but there are a lot of things that can help me with both. Dismissing those factors as unimportant does a disservise to anyone wanting to lose weight.

Little things matter, and add up. Even getting good sleep can matter. When I was diagnosed with sleep apnea several years ago, the pulmonologist prescribing the CPAP (a machine to assist in breathing by pushing air into your nose and/or mouth), told me that I could find that I lose a few pounds without even trying. It may have been true, as I had to quit my job around the same time and I lost 20 lbs in only a few months without trying (not sitting by a vending machine all day probably helped also).

Getting good sleep is a challenge for me, because I tend to wake up just as I'm entering REM sleep, so without medication, I get virtually no restorative sleep. I've finally got on medications that help and I'm almost a new person (or back to the old me I barely remember). For the first time in years I have the energy to enjoy exercise. I'm far more active, without even thinking about it, because I have the energy to do so. Motivation isn't always a matter of "mind over matter," as it's hard to have any motivation when you're constantly exhausted.

Knowing what to do (nutrition and exercise-wise) really is only half the battle. Understanding all of the factors that help and hinder putting that knowledge into practice is vital information. For too many years, when I'd read research on things like fat genes and other factors influencing obesity I dismissed it all as interesting, but ultimately unimportant. Being able to make changes by addressing some of those "unimportant factors" certainly has given me an entirely different perspective. If I had addressed the sleep, carb, and hormonal issues when I was 12, maybe I never would have exceeded 200 lbs, and probably definitely would have been able to avoid the insulin resistance I have now, probably from years of yoyo dieting.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:16 AM   #6  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I am usually a sucker for any diet show on Discovery Health, but I haven't heard about that one and I can't find any info about it on the channel's website. However, Dr. G (medical examiner) has written a book called 'How Not to Die' which covers obesity issues. Perhaps it has something to do with that?

Last edited by thistoo; 03-25-2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: because I shouldn't try to do research at 7 am
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: S 225 / C 192 / G 140

Height: 5'8"

I watch x-weighted on Discovery Health. That's a pretty good one too. A trainer comes in and weighs a person initially and has them do some tests. Then he checks in with their weight and measurements half way and in 6 months. This is all done in a single episode so it's pretty good.
healthierme78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I think the question "what makes you fat" is interesting. For me, my weight is tangled up into my mental health. I've been through a lot of bad things and in order to protect myself I ate to build an unattractive wall so that no one could find me. That was easy to become aware of and at the time that I figured it all out, i could easily answer that question.

But now...that answer is so much more complicated. When you start "listening" to your body, you start to have these moments of realization. I have the hormonal element, which I never realized was a serious issues. Now I do. I'm like Kaplods, I'm not a serious chocolate fan either, but every single month I crave something. This month it is chocolate and I've had my chocolate fill and now I'm moving on. Next month it could be carbs, who knows. Now I have to take birth control pills for various reasons, the obvious, but also the emotional strain, depression, cravings, things I never noticed or took seriously.

Now I'm learning that there are these foods that not only make me feel bad, but affect my body in a very negative way. Case in point, I'm defiantly lactose intolerant. In addition to that there are foods that I know make me retain more fat. Cheese was totally one of those foods. When I cut that out of my diet, in June of 08, there was this change in me. Now, I hate being around cheese lol. I hate the smell, i hate it. I moved from that to cutting out dairy and felt a world better emotionally and physically.

In the end it is about what you eat and your activity level, but I think when one is tangled up in all the emotional baggage and such it is hard to get to that kind of thinking, at least it is for me.

The more I learn about myself, the more I accept about myself and such, allows me to answer that question more efficiently and move forward.

I mean the food I feed myself has to support me emotionally and physically. Having that food support me allows me to have the motivation and strength to exercise and live my life.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #9  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

For me, it's carbs. Period.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #10  

The show is on Discovery Health at 8:00 tonight. I'll be watching.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #11  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I finally saw the listing for the show and it's hosted by Bob Greene, aka Oprah's trainer guy, if I'm not mistaken. I probably won't watch because I'm watching my sister's kids tonight, but maybe I'll get a chance to flip past it, at least.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #12  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

For me, it's when I start living from the neck upwards. By that, I mean that I'm preoccupied or unhappy, which is all happening inside my head, and also, I forget I'm responsible for taking care of my body. I make choices based on what's happening in my head, not what's happening below the neck.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

I love Diet and weightloss TV shows..lol I watch X-weighted, I Lost It, Last 10 Pounds Challenge, Buff Brides, Biggest Loser of course and I think others. I cant wait to see the one with the interventions, on WE.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #14  
Rubber Ducky

S/C/G: 341/307/135

I think I've seen the commercial for this. What makes you fat is a show about different factors that could lead to your weight gain. For example, it could be a common myth that eating carbs is a bad thing and one should cut them out completely. However, maybe the show will debunk this to say carbs are actually good for energy and brain function, but you should stick with good carbs like whole grain. Just an idea.

But...to play along, what makes me fat: Overworking myself so I don't want to exercise. Work, school, wanting to relax, or just plain being embarassed about exercise in front of others. Those were among my excuses to not exercise. That and my addiction to fast food. I'm a recovering fast food addict. Still eat it once in a while...but way less than I used to.
glitterducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 138/131/100 (kg)

Height: 1.67cm

I do not watch these shows at all. It reminds me too much of myself and makes me feel guilty.
Chocolate ice cream is my downfall. In fact, anything chocolate.
Lila is offline   Reply With Quote