Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 155.8/ticker/130

Height: 5 ft 6

Default Advice From Personal Trainer

Hey everyone,

While on this journey I did a few personal training sessions with a certified trainer. I wrote out and handed her a food journal that included everything I ate/drank over the course of 3 days. She then gave me the following advice (which I really believe can apply to most people). If you are like me and typically have several sodas and desserts with little veggies and fruit (and other healthy items) each day... this may help. Everything inside *stars* are notes that I've added myself:

1. Try to eat breakfast everyday. Stick with healthy cereal, low-fat yogurt, whole wheat breads/bagels, fruit, oatmeal. Wraps are OK if you get a whole-wheat wrap w/ only a small amount of meat and cheese. *Wraps can be replaced with foods like sandwiches, eggs, etc as long as the fat content is low*

2. At 2 meals, drink water instead of lemonade and soda. *or instead of orange juice, Gatorade, etc*

3. Eat 3 pieces of fruit per day (1 at each meal).

4. Try to get into the habit of eating 3 meals per day and 1 or 2 snacks in between those meals. Eat a proper dinner so you aren't tempted to snack at night. That doesn't mean overeat at dinner! Snacks should be 100-200 calories -- one serving of goldfish or wheat thins (read the label to know what a serving is), fruit w/ low-fat cheese, carrots, 100-calorie bags of popcorn.

5. Limit sweets to once per day for now. Choose which meal you'd like to eat them at and don't give in to the temptation to have them more than that. *Eating sweets AT meals instead of separate from them has the added benefit of being better for your teeth.*

Please note: It may benefit some to incorporate these tips into your diet one at a time until you've got them all down. Others may be able to do them all at once, it depends on your individual needs/situation.

My personal trainer also recommended starting with 3 days a week of cardio... It doesn't matter if you only do it for 10 minutes at first. Just getting yourself in the habit of it is what counts. Gradually increase to 30 minutes, then even an hour after you're really used to it. Optimally, exercising for 30 minutes 5 days a week would be a great routine for an active, healthy person. And don't forget strength training. You choose the method (lifting weights, pilates, etc). All of it is extremely beneficial for weight loss and is great for overall health. Aim to do this at least twice a week.

I hope this will help someone

Last edited by Kimmie1989; 03-24-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Kimmie1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for this

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

That is very close to what the exercise physiologist in the weight loss program I am in said. Actually it was spot on. I just started last week. She told me to do cardio 3 times a week, 30 min if I could , if not then just do what I could. Do Strength training 2 times a week. And the nutrition said a lot of the other things. Sounds like your trainer know what they are talking about.
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155.8/ticker/130

Height: 5 ft 6

I'm glad this is helping! I loved her tips because they really emphasize eating right without being CRAZY about it. I just started this today (I've been through breakfast and lunch so far) and I already am feeling healthier and I have a lot more energy. Usually my body is screaming for mercy because of the overwhelming amount of fats and caffeine I'd consume. I can't wait to continue following this and exercising too.

Last edited by Kimmie1989; 03-24-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Kimmie1989 is offline   Reply With Quote