Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #16  

Usually you are hungry in the morning if you had a lot of food the night before. Do you put gas in your car before it hits empty? Your body needs fuel to run. The smoothie is a great idea for those on the go. I always have protein with every meal and snack - cereal, fruit, milk and a HB egg, or an omelet with fruit and 1 slice of high fiber toast, etc. If you only eat carbs you are starving again in a couple of hours because of the drop in blood sugar.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #17  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I love this thread - it proves that no single formula is going to work for everybody! I tried the smoothie, and absolutely detest them. The whole concept of eating something cold for breakfast just leaves me ... cold. Same goes for a bowl of cereal. My morning needs to start hot - love the oatmeal with walnuts, a couple of scrambled eggs, or even a bowl of leftover soup. I've noticed that if I try to start the day with carbs (bagel, or cereal, or leave the nuts off the oatmeal), it's a likely disaster in the making.

I'm usually hungry in the morning, but if something intervenes and I don't eat, the feeling fades away and returns with a VENGEANCE in the late afternoon (along with a headache). No mystery there!

Gotta go with what works, regardless of the "rules", or it's impossible to stick to it!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #18  

so interesting to hear everyones opinions!
I do have an espresso machine that I make a latte with every morning, which I make with fat free milk. That does give me about 43 calories and 4.2 grams of protein, not much, but with that latte alone I am not usually hungry until about 1:00 and I definitely don't binge eat lunch either.

for me it's not a matter of what I eat in the morning, it just that when I roll out of bed, food is the last thing I want, whether it be a smoothie or eggs, or dinner foods, or hot or cold. I just don't want food, and I am thinking more and more that I shouldn't force myself to eat when I don't want to. That seems entirely counter productive, even if it is apparently a little bit better for me.
thanks again for all of the advice!
mmmsammm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Greek yogurt for breakfast is magic for me. I always hated eating breakfast. Now I have Greek yogurt, some fruit and usually some nuts. I am much less hungry and with fewer cravings all day.

When I eat breakfast, but skip the yogurt in favor of something else, I am triggered to eat more. I don't know why. I just know I need my yogurt!
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

I eat breakfast every day around 8 a.m., BUT I roll out of bed at 5:30. I don't know that breakfast has to come exactly when you get up to be effective...but I do think it's important to eat before you are STARVING. So a snack mid-morning as a "late breakfast" is a lot better than holding off until lunchtime, IMO.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I love breakfast foods...all the wrong kind of breakfast foods. Since I am not eating pancakes, toast, sugary cereals, etc., I have taken on a new look at breakfast. The rest of my meals, I plan, I think of foods that I really like, what I'm really hungry for, but breakfast is more like taking a vitamin. I do it because my body needs fuel to start out the day. I eat basically the same thing every day-2 boiled eggs or scrambled egg whites with turkey sausage. It never changes, and I usually make myself eat this, but for me, I need the fuel first thing in the morning.

On weekends when I get up later, I will make a lumberjack sized egg white omelet with tons of veggies, but it's usually so big that there is no way I'm getting hungry after eating it.

BTW...I cannot have any carbs for breakfast during the work week, or I do get hungry and end up breaking out my lunch about 10:00 making for a very long afternoon.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I think I've read a nutritionist's dream breakfast is oatmeal, steel cut or whole, not instant... add in almonds and flax seeds and some fruit too. But for some reason it doesn't satisfy me, I feel better on my protein smoothies with protein powder mixed in.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsey View Post
I hate breakfast too... well I did until I almost completely went to smoothies. Got the idea from the Abs Diet book, just mix up berries, yogurt, flax, protein powder and blend, and drink. Great for on the go too. I also sometimes do smoothies with green tea or red bull my bad habit for the caffine. I've been losing, and from what I've read you must do breakfast so can you find something quick and easy to help your poor blood sugar after sleeping?
That is what my bf does too. He hates eating breakfast because he says it makes him hungrier for lunch. But he started making morning smoothies, and that seems to work for him.

Personally, I'm RAVENOUS the second I wake up. So I always eat a large (500 calories) breakfast.

The theory behind the importance of eating breakfast is that you haven't given your body fuel since the previous night's dinner. For me, that's 12 hours without food! So that's why I need breakfast. But if that doesn't sound like you, then maybe you don't need breakfast.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #24  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

I think you get hungrier after eating breakfast because your metabolism is working. You have woken it up and it is running. If you don't eat breakfast, your body doesn't start to burn fuel at such a high rate. That's what I've heard anyway.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:05 AM   #25  

ok so I haven't been eating breakfast for a few weeks now, and here are my personal results:

I don't have a scale cause it make me paranoid about my weight, but my jeans are starting to feel looser.
I am finding that I am not nearly as hungry throughout the entire day, and I naturally eat less.
I also noticed breakfast seemed to make me feel draggy right off the bat, and now I have been feeling more awake and ready for my day.

SO I think the results for me are that breakfast FOR ME is a no go. I am not telling anyone else what to do, but for some reason breakfast doesn't sit well with me...literally...I usually get an upset stomach. Maybe it's because I naturally eat dinner late (like around 10) that I don't need food as quickly in the day as most people do, but for me, I think I will live without breakfast.

thanks for all the tips tho guys!
mmmsammm is offline   Reply With Quote