Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-13-2009, 07:51 AM   #1  
Grasshopper

S/C/G: 197/117/100

Height: 4'10"

Default torn adductor, no exercise, now what?

Well, I did it this time. Yesterday while doing my inner leg stretch, I heard a "pop" and then had serious pain that ran down my inner right thigh and into the back of my knee. Seeing doc today, but the preliminary call to them they said that noise sounds most likely like I tore my adductor muscle, and, at the least means no exercise whatsover for the first two weeks, possibly more depending on the degree of injury. I know I can do some arm weights, but anything to do with the core, hips and of course legs are out of the question. I am the type that if I am not exercising, I feel like there will be no weight loss, and with me being so close to an end of April goal that I was so excited for, I am scared I will give up. Does anyone have any ideas for calorie burning when you are immobile? I am so discouraged
RedKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #2  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I would suggest working on the "eating" part of your plan right now. You will have to adjust your calories for the lack of exercise, but this too shall pass...Hope you feel better soon.

I tend to get very frustrated at weight loss programs that concentrate mainly on exercise for this exact reason. There will always be a time when someone is unable to exercise for some valid reason or another and if you don't have a good core knowledge of nutrition and how to modify food to continue weight loss without exercise...well then...I just don't see how it will ever work long term. Of course this is only my humble oppenion.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 03-13-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/150/135

Height: 5'4"

I agree that you work on the eating part of weight loss for right now since you can't do core/lower body work. If you can do upper body work, then that's an option. It is possible to lose some weight by just counting calories.
onesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #4  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

RedKat, sorry to hear about your injury. I would advise you to meet with a trainer as soon as your doc okays it, if you can afford it. That way you'll be doing what you can while you're healing and can jump right into rehabilitation for your leg when the time is right.

Regardless, LoriBell is right - you'll have to adjust your food plan because you'll be less active and lose muscle mass.

I've been there too, unfortunately, and I can't say I handled it well. Wish I'd made better decisions 15 lbs. ago, but at least I'm here trying to right the ship!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #5  
Grasshopper

Thanks everyone, I am much better today, but I am reminded every few hours that the muscle is injured, there's tightness, and pain if I step wrong... all it takes is turning my foot out a bit and the pain is there. I have adjusted my calories a bit, and I think today I will try some upper body exercises, I just have not been motivated, I've mentally discouraged myself, and I just don't want to fall of the wagon and start gaining again.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

I'm so sorry you're injured I know it sucks. Being injured is such a blow because so many people count on exercise not only as a calorie burn but also as stress relief and to give their day some structure and a sense of accomplishment. I know with the adductor it's a bit different because it limits your choices in crosstraining, so it's hard to think about having to replace all of that for a couple of weeks, but losing weight is totally doable without exercise.

During my last injury one thing that helped me was to really focus on my eating, as LoriBell said. Rest it as much as you can for the next couple of weeks. I can't emphasize this enough. I know it's tempting to try it out to see if it's better yet, but it's really important that you give it the chance to heal completely or you can be struggling with it for months vs. weeks. 2 weeks of complete rest will do more good than a month of partial rest.

It also doesn't necessarily mean that you'll lose muscle mass during those weeks, especially if you're the type who exercises daily. Sometimes a rest is a good thing. It will give your body time to heal not only the injured muscle but completely repair the muscles that get sore from day to day so that you can come back feeling refreshed and motivated. It's not fun to lose the little extra boost that burning extra calories can give you, but you can plan around that and make up for it in other ways. Really.

I was out for a week and a half this last time, but it actually upped my weight loss and made me faster and better at what I do. Maybe instead of a setback you can view it as an opportunity to really hone in on your diet and what you want to accomplish in the coming year?

But I know it's hard. Just don't get discouraged or use it as an excuse to give up on your plan. Sometimes things happen and you've got to roll with the punches. Hang in there

ETA: 71 lbs, that is incredible and shows a huge amount of determination! Good job!

Last edited by JoyfulVegGirl; 03-16-2009 at 03:29 PM.
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:46 PM   #7  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

JoyfulVegGirl, you're so right, and have a great attitude. Lots of really good advice there.

Guess I'm still working through the difficulty I've had with my own injury - I probably shouldn't speak authoritatively on this subject, at least for now!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #8  
Grasshopper

It's so hard to keep motivated, I feel lost without exercising, at the end of the day it feels like I haven't burned any calories. And although I still have a week and a half before I can try anything, I'm already afraid to. Yesterday I had to side step to avoid my cat, and the pain was as new as the moment I did it. I haven't done anything up til today, I am going to make myself do some upper body weights and tell myself that it's not all lost. I am notorious for throwing in the towel and sabotoging myself as far as weight goes, I've been everywhere from 110 to my highest, 210, my whole life, and 90 percent of the time I've been over 190. I've already made bad food choices this past weekend and the scale punished me for it.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

Yesterday, I got the diagnosis of a torn meniscus (L) and calf strain/tear (R), so I am off exercise for 4 weeks. My response? I ate like crap for two days. And can't exercise it off! Stupid idea. :-(

I'm going to focus on my diet and do a ton of push-ups and planks to get my heart rate up and continue to work on upper body. I'm also going to Florida for 4 days, so I'll do a bunch o' swimming.

Boo-hoo. Good luck! I hope you behave better than me.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 138/138/130

Height: 5'7"

I have been dealing with a knee injury since December, so have not been able to exercise. However, the last two months I have lost 10 pounds by being METICULOUS with my diet (WW). So it can be done! I am sorry to hear about your injury though. It is such a pain! I live right by the beach and won't be able to run/rolloerblade this summer. Ggggrrrrrrr!

Last edited by PeatrixPotter; 03-17-2009 at 06:19 PM.
PeatrixPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #11  
Grasshopper

Well I ate better yesterday, and so far this morning....I just can't get motivated to do anything else, as far as weights and upper body. I am stuck on the whole no cardio no calorie burn thing. It's almost like I'm looking for an excuse to fail Why do I do this??? I have such high respect for you girls that haven't let your injuries stop you from your goals. I am going to stay positive and try to do the same!