What about weird Schedules???

• Hello everyone!!!
    Im new here and will be posting about me shortly but I just have this real tricky question that I cant seem to figure out.

What about the people who work weird work schedules and dont eat until they get off for me which is about 12, then end up eating like at 1 in the morning. Then of course I dont eat breakfast because by the time I wake up its to late. Is anyone in the same situation and could explain to me what there eating schedules are like, PLEASE!!! Its not a problem bringing things to work Im just not use to it just stay hungry till I get off then of course run to Taco Bell and eat horribly!!!

Thanks for the help!!!
  • HI, I work a weird schedule too. I work from 4pm until 12:30am. I usually wake up around 11am or so. I am switching my dinner and breakfast around. Example:

11 am - Snack of fruit and yogurt
    1pm - large meal "Dinner"
    3-4pm - Snack
    7pm - "Lunch"
    10pm - 1am - Smaller "breakfast" meal

I have to pack more for work, but I don't have the "luxury" of switching my entire schedule due to the fact I have a 3 year old and when he is up, I am up...lol. Therefore, I can't eat a heavy meal and go to bed so I keep it light with cereal, maybe some eggs, or if I'm not that hungry, a protein shake.
  • I have a pretty weird schedule. I am a full time musician with no day job (for right now anyways! LOL) and I usually work until 1 or 2am. Like right now as I am typing this it is 3am! LOL!

Because I work till 2 or 3am it is like a 9-5er getting off at 5pm, MY 5pm is 3am!

I eat kind of intuatively usually about every 4 or 5 hours small meals and I try not to eat when I am not hungry.

This is not the life for everyone and you have to LOVE what you do to love it LOL!

I think of my regular day as starting at 6pm and ending at 3am.

Weird but it works for me!
  • Hello. I also have a weird schedule. I work 8 pm - 8:30 am. So I get up about 6:30 pm, get a shower, dressed, etc. then eat. I pack my lunch with snacks like yogurt, etc. and I usually have a snack around 11ish or 12ish and then I eat lunch around 2:30 am. I usually have another snack, usually my yogurt around 6 am. I eat breakfast when I get home and I usually stay up around 1 1/2 - 2 hours or so before going to bed. I try to stay awake at least 1 hr after I eat because I read or saw on tv that if you stay awake at least an hour after eating that it is supposed to be ok to go to sleep? I dunno. I know I should eat my breakfast about 7 am or so but I just don't.

But that is my schedule.

Good Luck I know its tough being on a different schedule than everybody else.

• I work the opposite schedule -- 5 am to 3 pm (or later). IMO, if you starve all day, then you are setting yourself up for a binge later. And then, because you ate so much so late, you aren't hungry in the morning, and the cycle continues. I used to not be hungry in the morning, would barely eat during the day, and then I'd be STARVING by evening and want to grab everything in sight.

I do much better when I spread my calories out during the day. I plan and pack breakfast and lunch the night before, along with my gym clothes. I get up at 4 am and hit the gym first thing (I'm lucky enough to have one at the office), then eat something for breakfast at my desk. I eat my packed lunch at pretty much the normal time. Then I eat dinner relatively early, so that I'm not eating RIGHT before I go to bed. If I don't overeat at night, then I'm generally hungry for some breakfast in the morning.

It takes planning .. and preparation, but it's worth it because your energy level will be better during the day and you won't be so starving when you get off work. I don't think it matters WHEN you eat your calories necessarily, but I know that if I go too long without eating something, then that is a recipe for a binge for me. Once you get in the habit of planning and packing your meals, it's really no big deal.
  • WHAT you eat matters a whole lot more than WHEN you eat. It doesn't really matter to your body whether you get your calories at 7am or 12am...but it DOES matter what you eat. If you don't plan and eat regularly throughout your day, whatever that day may be, you're setting yourself up to fall into a fast food/"I'm Starving, give me whatever" type trap...never good!