lame...

• i went shopping today, and even though im working really hard and sticking to my diet, and doing a good job, and i see the pounds coming off the scale, id ont see any changes in the way my body looks in the mirror and to me it still lokos disgusting, i know i havent lost that much weight yet, but it still feels like im failing and nothing is happening.
  • If the pounds are coming off on the scale, then you are losing weight and you're not failing - you're doing great! But it may take a while before you see big changes in the mirror. There are a couple of reasons:

First, a pound off does make less visible difference at the start of our weight loss than it will later. I visualize this by imagining two cans - one of the big 1 kg coffee cans that's about 10" in diameter, and a smaller one that's the same height but about 3" diameter. Now imagine covering each with a pound of butter. It's the same amount of weight on each, 1 pound, but it's going to make a thicker layer on the smaller can, right? Same thing in reverse when we lose weight. It doesn't show as much a first as it will later when we're smaller, but it's still an big achievement to lose each pound.

Second, your brain is slow to recognize change. We're programmed to recognize a few important characteristics of something, and fill in the rest from our mental collection of memorized symbols. This made sense in a lot for our ancestors - no point wasting time examining the exact details of something's appearance if "fur + big" are enough to recognize something that's about to eat you! But it makes us very slow to see changes in the mirror as we lose weight, because we tend to recognize "me" and fill in from our memory what we "know" we look like. Visual artists spend a lot of time learning to bypass this symbol recognition system so they can see and draw what's actually in front of them instead of their memorized symbol for it. Mandalinn82 has posted about this several times - search the archives for "pattern recognition". Photos can make it easier to see the difference than mirrors, especially if you use one of the artists' tricks and turn them upside down. That way you just see the shapes, not "me".

I think in the early stages of weight loss especially, the scale numbers are the easiest way to see progress. I find it helps to keep me motivated if I try to find something unique about each number on the scale - this one moved me down to the next BMI number, that one meant I've lost 5% of my original weight, one more and I will be overweight instead of obese, etc. It helps me to recognize that I am making progress, even though it takes a while to see it in the mirror.

Keep it up! You'll see it in the mirror soon!
  • Quote: i went shopping today, and even though im working really hard and sticking to my diet, and doing a good job, and i see the pounds coming off the scale, id ont see any changes in the way my body looks in the mirror and to me it still lokos disgusting, i know i havent lost that much weight yet, but it still feels like im failing and nothing is happening.
    Failing? What are you failing AT? This isn't a test. This is process and a journey towards better health, which you are on your way to.

By your own words - you're working really hard, sticking to your diet and doing a good job. Well, it's not a test, but if it were - sounds like an A+ to me!!!

Weight loss is not an immediate gratification type thing. It takes time to "show" up. I don't know how much you need to lose or how much you've lost already (no ticker or stats), but the heavier we are (as I surely was), the longer it takes to "show up" - in clothing, in the mirror, people noticing and in your own brain.

Though you may not "see" the results, know that already you are improving yourself and your very life and as long as you stick with it - those results WILL show up - in too many ways to mention. Wonderful, wonderful ways. Hang tight. Those results - they ARE coming. Oh boy and when they do you will be thrilled beyond belief that you stuck it out.

And in the meantime, be proud of your accomplishments. They sound pretty spectacular.
  • It's times like this, when you feel down in the dumps or frustrated-- that you should vent on this forum or to your friends/close confidants

You're doing great!

FYI: If you're following a particular eating or exercise plan, there are additional topics on this forum that can give you the extra support you need as well as here

Chin up, it'll get better

Just focus on one day at a time: did I do the best I could exercising today? Eating today? Venting/asking questions on 3fatchicks.com? etc. You'd be really surprised as just how much improvements you can do in the long run by giving all ur best for only ONE day (at a time).

Before you know it, you'll feel a lot better on the scale, shopping, in the mirror, and just in general!

~ tea
  • It's difficult at first because I don't remember seeing a difference (last time I lost weight) till I had lost over 20 pounds. I felt better, clothes were fitting better, but I looked the same to myself.

If you are staying on plan and working hard, then you ARE a success. Be patient. I think about gaining.....I gained maybe a pound or two a week--not enough to really notice at all. But do that week after week, and I sure noticed! It's the same thing with weight loss. Each individual pound doesn't seem like much but eventually they add up to a real, noticeable difference.

I've lost about 13 pounds now. (I can't update my ticker because it's not official weigh-in day!). It doesn't seem like much and I can't really tell the difference visually yet. But I have a cat who weighs 14 pounds. When I pick her up, she is HEAVY. And that's how much I've lost! Or when I go to the store, I pick up a 10 pound bag of potatoes. Heavy, huh! So even though you may not be able to SEE the difference, try these little tricks to remind yourself that 10 pounds ( or 5 pounds, whatever) of weight loss is a big accomplishment, even though you feel that you can't see it yet. It's still real!
  • Even at 17 pounds lost, I don't see much difference, it is very gradual. It has taken to now to be down almost a size. I think I need about 3 more pounds to go before I am comfortably into a size down in most things, and that is with lots of pilates and yoga for toning.
    My DH says he sees things are different, but admits he thinks the difference is as much within as without!
    keep up the good work. And do spend on nice things you will enjoy. Its a nicer and healthier way to reward yourself than with food!
  • wow. thanks guys. i mean, i know im getting smaller but i guess it was just the... shirtless view that grossed me out. i def. look better in clothes but. yeah, once i had my shirt off, i started to think about bikini season and how its not gona happen this year either. but either way, you all gave me some def. good tricks to remind myself and this is why i joined. because if i said that to any of my friends theyd be like " eh so what, eat a burger" lol
  • also, no stats or sig. yet because i have to be a member for 20 days first.
  • You will get there.We all lose differently.One day you will look in the mirror and see a big difference.The magic number is different for everyone.