Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 176/176/135

Height: 5"1

Default When was there a moment you

noticed ANY weight being off?

I'm down 11 lbs and while that is not a lot; it is some..
I cannot see it anywhere, I don't feel different, I don't have clothes
fitting differently at ALL, a couple people said my face looks thinner..whoppeee my face..big deal..

seriously; no one can tell I've lost 11 lbs!!!

when do you start noticing? or when do you notice clothes fitting different??
someone told me that every 10 lbs is a different size..so why am I not in or close to needing a diff. size pants/shirt?
MarStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #2  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I started noticing at 15lbs last time I lost weight. I am at 10 right now, so I am hoping to get there again soon. It's different for everybody. each body is unique on how it lets go of fat/ gains muscle. Also, sometimes, we get so used to seeing ourselves one way, that mentally we stay the same weight. have you been taking pictures? They can help. Try taking them after every 10 lbs weightloss and you'll begin to see a progression. Keep up the good work... you'll start to notice things very soon!
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I've put this out a couple times, but will restate quickly...basically, your brain lags behind your eyes in noticing changes in your body. Your brain uses something called pattern recognition and completion...it gets a signal from your eyes of something you see a lot (like yourself in the mirror), picks up the distinguishing features, and fills in the rest from memory. It helps you process common visual images faster. The problem in weight loss is that your brain fills in your -old- body, so you end up looking the same to yourself in the mirror longer than you would otherwise.

Photos will break this paradigm (because the scale is so different)...have you tried looking at previous and current photos of yourself?

Sizes are flexible and when you go down a size will depend on your weight distribution and a lot of other factors, so it is hard to predict. Keep going, and you'll get closer to your goals, AND your eyes will start seeing what is actually there.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #4  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I've put this out a couple times, but will restate quickly...basically, your brain lags behind your eyes in noticing changes in your body. Your brain uses something called pattern recognition and completion...it gets a signal from your eyes of something you see a lot (like yourself in the mirror), picks up the distinguishing features, and fills in the rest from memory. It helps you process common visual images faster. The problem in weight loss is that your brain fills in your -old- body, so you end up looking the same to yourself in the mirror longer than you would otherwise.
Wow, Mandalinn, I didn't realize there was actually a science to it. That's awesome!
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #5  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I've lost almost 45lbs since my highest weight and sometimes I feel like I look bigger. Everyone around me has noticed.

So...I took pictures and compared them to ones from last year and definitely saw the differences. There were huge differences! I must agree with what mandalinn82 said. I think that's why a lot of us struggle with our weight loss and get so bummed because we, ourselves, don't see results!
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/176/135

Height: 5"1

no, no pics taken..I'll take one tonight and start w/that...

and I have a pic from a few wks ago I can compare it to; altho i was doing the toodee-tah dance w/my kids; so it isnt a flattering pic lol..
MarStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

My suggestion is this: for every 5 to 10 pounds, give yourself a FABULOUS treat! Like a movie, manicure, book, etc. And then soon enough you (and others) will be able to see your physical changes
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #8  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

I highly highly highly recommend taking pictures of your body in neutral clothing, in a couple consistent angles over this period.

When I took pictures at around 165 and again a couple days ago I was startled at small parts of my body which looked smaller, less pouchy and just a general less poofiness to my appearance. All my clothes still fit, some fit better but I haven't been like floating in anything yet.

I intend to to do that every ten or so pounds. I was thinking about posting them to show what it looks like, but I'm in my underwear haha. I don't know if I'm brave enough for that but we'll see haha.
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:38 AM   #9  
wsw

hang in there. as folks have said, it i s just so different for everyone. i have lost 25 pounds so far, and only one of my friends has noticed. it frustrated me a lot, even though i haven't told friends i was trying to lose weight. my clothes sizes have changed, though, and i can feel some of those positive changes too, so i guess it is just going to take longer than i thought until most people i know start noticing. when i began noticing i had really lost some weight was one day, i noticed the outfit i was wearing was really too big on me. i then tried on some of my other clothes and found the same thing. i eventually went to the store, and began trying on a smaller size, and lo and behold, that was what fit me. it took actually looking in the mirror at the store wearing smaller sizes before it actually sunk in for me. that moment felt very good! i can now feel a difference in the way i move, and how clothes are fitting me, and i am proud of myself for all my hard work. congrats on your hard work, and weight loss! you will begin feeling differently soon! take care.

Last edited by wsw; 03-05-2009 at 06:46 AM.
wsw is offline   Reply With Quote