Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #16  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieMcC View Post
I am so thankful for all of you who have given your advice. I think I will REALLY monitor what he's eating at home/school and maybe journal it on my own. I really don't know what a serving size is for kids compared to what an adult should have tho. I will make sure he has an extra veggie each day...I am sure the whatever veggie the school had is NOT that healthy. Everyone gave good advice! Thank you!
just one more thought--
When I feed my kids dinner they cannot have more of whatever they want seconds of until their first portion of veggie is eaten. I do this to ensure the veg goes down but also to fill them up a bit before they wolf down more chicken nug (if that's what it is) or the white rice that my sitter makes.

Last edited by kittycat40; 02-23-2009 at 03:56 PM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #17  

How's your serving sizes?

Might be worth actually measuring (with a food scale).
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #18  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
I really don't know what a serving size is for kids compared to what an adult should have th
Have you looked at the Food Guide Pyramid for serving sizes for kids? They have a ton of information on what portions kids need.

http://kidshealth.org/kid/stay_healt...d/pyramid.html
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I would just like to suggest that it might be better to teach kids about better food choices, rather than start them on counting calories. I can't believe that some posters actually have their kids counting calories at such an early age. Kids already have to meet some kind of numerical grade or score all the time, for everything they do--it just makes me sad to think of a 9-year-old having to count calories for their lunch, etc.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #20  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

You have received some good advice here! I would add that your child's doctor can be your best friend or your worst enemy. It sounded like yours was not very supportive and was being judgmental. You might consider sitting down with her one on one without your son present to voice your concerns. She may recommend some testing (thyroid, etc.) to rule out problems. If she continues to be non-supportive, I would be shopping for a new doc.
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

What does your son's growth chart look like? As a kid, I was stick thin until I hit about 7, then became "the fat kid" until the summer before 7th grade. My mom was naturally very concerned, but the doc told her to ride it out. I was only eating healthy foods and was very active (soccer, swimming, etc.). She told my mom I would need the weight, and boy did I. I gre 6 inches in one summer and went from being the fat kid to the tall, awkward, gangly kid with boobs. So, I would say that if you're feeding him the right foods, and keeping him active, don't sweat it too much- he may just grow into it!
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #22  

S/C/G: S 299/C 247/G 140

Height: 5'6"

Hi, I have heard that with children you should not try to get them to lose weight but to eat healthy and be active (which he does) and the child will grow and the weight issue will go away. Also boys really slender up when they get older. Girls who do not eat healthy are not as lucky.

Keep up the healthy good work.
Candace
CandaceG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #23  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have been told that a child's serving is 1/2 an adult portion.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I saw a programme on obesity on children and for many of the kids on there, the problem was not what they ate but the amount. Many parents were serving up healthy meals but in quantities that were way too much. On the programme they gave the advice about the protein and carbs should only be about the size of the palm of your hand - whether adult or child. Look at your 7 year olds palm, it will be quite small compared to your own.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 266/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KforKitty View Post
I saw a programme on obesity on children and for many of the kids on there, the problem was not what they ate but the amount. Many parents were serving up healthy meals but in quantities that were way too much. On the programme they gave the advice about the protein and carbs should only be about the size of the palm of your hand - whether adult or child. Look at your 7 year olds palm, it will be quite small compared to your own.

Kitty
Thanks Kitty---I was wondering about that

Thanks to everyone else as well
BonnieMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #26  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

A big help in making serving portions more controllable would be to give everyone a plate, already loaded with a pre-determined amount of food. Not leave serving platters in the middle of the table. It might take some getting used to, but it's a great strategy. It saves me from overeating all the time.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #27  

Default Do you have an update on your sons weight? I'm having some issues with my daughters w

I'm having trouble with my daughter's weight. I was reading your situation and was wondering if there was any update?
SmGalaviz is offline   Reply With Quote