Health-ier breakfast alternatives

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm sort of new, even though I've been a member for a while. I've just really gotten very motivated for my weight loss and I'm becoming frustrated. I keep going for bagels slapped on with margarine with grapefruit and coffee with plenty of sugar (4-5 teaspoons worth! ) I've discovered something after watching a TV show that I'm addicted to food (I'm only happy, not grumpy and not scary after I eat).

I'm trying to find better breakfast alternatives. I'm a coffee / tea addict. I love all types of fruits so that's not hard. I just want I guess suggestions for anything to combat the sweetness that I want? Any alternatives to the Bagel with butter?

I'm doing relatively okay for lunch (Lots of veggie mixes with a bit of seasoning) and dinner (very small lunch plate of food, no seconds, no heavy salt)

Thanks for any help and sorry if I put this in the wrong area.
  • Are you looking for something you can grab outside the house, or something you can make at home? Hot or cold?

Fat free yogurt mixed with fruit or applesauce is good. They have large tubs that are vanilla flavored if plain is too sour at first, then you can mix in your own toppings.

Steel cut oatmeal is also a good choice, but it takes a long time- about 30 minutes to make.

They also sell whole wheat bagels, which are healthier than plain white ones. Honestly, I don't like them, but if you could get used to them, it'd be an option. As for the coffee, you could gradually cut down the sugar until you get to a point where you get used to the taste of a less sweetened drink.
  • I started off my new lifestyle with a 21 day fast. It was Daniel's Fast...no sugar, no white flour, no meat, dairy, processed foods, artificial flavors, caffeine......etc. It was a detox for sure. Since many foods that are bad for us are addictive, we need to get them out of our system in order not to crave them anymore. Since then I have gone back to my coffee, but black.

It is a tough 21 days, but worth it.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to see about getting some yogurt which I've heard is good for snacking and breakfast. I'm trying to start a 9 day detox but it's been really tough since I keep breaking rules and going back. I had a bit of a wake up call when I got winded walking up and down my stairs while carrying small items.
  • Also to answer the other question : I'm looking more for things at home. I'm not the main grocery buyer but if I put things on the list, I'm sure to be able to have them around.
  • I think your breakfasts are lacking some protein.
    The yogurt suggestion is good, you can also have an egg, egg substitute, skim milk. I like combining my serving of fruit and milk in the mornings and making a smoothie, but I keep a bunch of things on hand to keep things interesting.
    For the sweetness cravings, try getting your fix from fruits. If it's sugar you are craving, I think you have to start with cutting back, the less you have sugar, the less you will crave it and the easier it will get to go without, eventually, you might even find that you don't crave/like it anymore
  • I would try to gradually reduce the sugar in your coffee. Instead of 6 spoonfuls, try putting 5 for a couple weeks. When you get used to that, reduce it to 4 until you get to a level you're happy with. I think if you try to go really low sugar or no sugar right away, you won't like it. I find that gradual changes are easier to stick with.

Also, you could try some protein for breakfast. There is no way a bagel would keep me full!!! Try some eggs, canadian bacon, or peanut butter. I am also a fan of oatmeal, but I just get the quaker instant stuff because I don't have the time or patience for the stuff that takes longer to cook.
  • Quote:
    Steel cut oatmeal is also a good choice, but it takes a long time- about 30 minutes to make.
    Trader Joes now has steel cut oatmeal that cooks in 8 min. Woo hoo.

You can also put the oats in the amount of water called for the night before and then cook in the morning. They'll cook much faster.

I second oatmeal. It does a good job at regulating blood sugar. I feel best on the mornings that it eat it. Leave the sugar out. I usually cut up a few slices of dried apple rings, cinnamon, and about 6 pecans to mine. I drink a glass of unsweetened soy milk with it. I'm full for a long time.
  • Every day, same thing. Activia with 1/4 c granola. I have some granola with Flax from Costco. I keep the coffee with French Vanilla Coffee Mate. I have found it to be the best of both worlds. Plus the Activia really does what it clamis to. Breakfast only takes a few minutes.
  • For some reason, every time I have eggs I tend to throw them back 5 minutes after eating them. Don't get me wrong, I love eggs. I know you're suppose to eat a big, full breakfast. Mine normally (without cutting anything from my diet) 2-3 eggs overeasy, toast with butter and coffee with sugar. I'm trying to add in more fruit and take out some things I think is bad. (ie: 3 eggs and toast with butter) I could maybe go down to one egg, oatmeal with fruit slices and tea? I can deal without coffee.

I've heard herbal tea's are suppose to be good. I don't know why breakfast is so hard for me. It seems like it shouldn't it but it is.
  • I like a honey whole grain bagel, Natures Own I think it is, with Earth Balance Buttery spread and low fat cream cheese or Oatmeal with earth balance, skim milk, splenda and lots of cinnamon or 2 eggs and 2 Kashi blueberry waffles with a little honey on them.Or 2 eggs and 2 slices of turkey bacon. My coffee has to have whole milk, but its just a little, I have learned to like it without sugar. I used to use the International Coffees, the sugar free ones, Dark Chocolate was my favorite. The directions are to just had water but i put a couple table spoons in my coffee.
  • There's also no rule that you have to eat breakfast-type foods for breakfast. One of my favorites is to melt pizza sauce and light mozzarella onto a Western Alternative Bagel or double fiber english muffin. Pizza for breakfast - yum! So if breakfast foods just aren't appealing, try something else with a good combination of protein and fiber.
  • I love to eat the lowfat vanilla yogurt with 4-5 almonds, 1 tsp mini chocolate chips, fruit, and raw steel oats (1/4 cup) mixed in. It keeps me full until 1-2 PM! For some reason, the raw oatmeal mixed in yogurt tastes better to me than when it's cooked!
  • Smoothies! With oatmeal, whey protein powder, yogurt, blueberries, flax seed, green tea, 1/2 banana... my new favorite.
  • I love fage greek yogurt with honey. It comes prepackaged, I dip my spoon in some honey and then add yogurt, I end up using one tablespoon per serving. The funny thing is that it just about eliminates cravings all day. I sometimes add some fruit or nuts to breakfast. I was never a breakfast eater and it turns out everyone was right, it makes a huge difference.