Having a rough day...

• Ok, I'm posting here partially as a diversion technique. But I would love to have any feedback possible!

I'm having a rough time of it today - I've been doing very well for the last couple weeks, since I finally had a "click" moment and buckled down, with the goal of being in the best shape I can for our wedding in May. I've been on-again-off-again not-really-trying to lose weight for as long as I can remember, but in particular I've been attending WW since last March and had lost and regained the same 5 pounds, ending up 5 pounds higher than my start weight! So, about 2 weeks ago I realize I've got a wedding dress fitting Feb 28 and 3 months until the wedding, and I want to make a concerted effort to make as much progress as I reasonably can.

At the same time, I don't want this to be a loss "for the wedding" - I just want to be well on my way to a healthier size and ongoing healthier life when the wedding comes around (and, honestly, to look as good as I can for the wedding, too!)

Anyhow, on to today - I'm just struggling to make the healthy choices I know I am capable of. I was nastily sick Mon-Wed this week with food poisoning, and allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted yesterday on the grounds that I needed sustenance (leftover spaghetti for breakfast, fruit and a sandwich for lunch, and a burger and salad for dinner - not unhealthy, but more fat than my usual choices). Today, I'm trying to get back into my normal routine, but I'm struggling with being on my own tonight. I had a provided seminar lunch (pizza served with full-sugar soda - I opted for one slice instead of two, but still had almost 200 calories of sugar-water that's not my norm). Between my normal breakfast and snacks (an orange and raw veggies), and an above-average lunch, I'm only left with about 350-400 calories for dinner. Not really a problem, normally, to eat a modest dinner, but my fiance is off visiting his family this weekend while I'm stuck here due to exams next week. Unfortunately, my traditional choice is to "splurge" when I'm on my own - order pizza or other delivery and indulge (the old it-doesn't-count-if-no-one-sees mentality).

I know better. I know I will feel like crap if I eat crap.

But I'm still fighting the urge, and it's only 5 pm. I'm trying to think of other ways to "spoil myself" that don't involve food, but I'm only coming across the basics which aren't terribly tempting (take a bubble bath... I'd need to scrub down the tub first! How relaxing!) Part of me wants to go to the gym and sweat it out... but I've had a history of "exercise bulimia" and I've promised myself I'll stick to a reasonable workout schedule (I lifted this morning, and I'll be attending a class tomorrow morning... an hour or more on the elliptical tonight is NOT a good idea).

So, what can I do? What do you do when you're tempted to go off-plan for no good reason? Any and all suggestions would be great!! (And I'll admit - reading and posting to 3fc is definitely on my list of distractions! Thus I'm here!)
  • I use 3fc as a distraction.... calling someone who I know will talk to me for a little while is a great distraction as well.

Definitely remember what you said - that you'll feel like crap if you eat crap. that's always true for me and sometimes anticipating how I'll feel if I go ahead and overdo it will save me.

Good luck to you!
  • There are many different things you can do to distract yourself.
    what I like to do is come here and look at the mini/goal picture threads. it really motivates me.

you can read, if you like to read. do whatever you like. . .
  • I guess it depends on whether you like this or not, but what I do is make some tea. I have all sorts of boxes of different flavored teas -- herbal, rooibis, black, green, etc. I have tea bags and I have loose tea.

So, at times I know that I will be tempted to eat something but shouldn't (primarily, when the boys come home from school at 4:00pm and have their snack) I brew myself some tea. Also at night, when I'm all done with dinner, cleaning up, putting the boys to bed, etc, I end with a cup of tea.

My husband can tell what kind of day I'm having by how much tea I've had! LOL
  • If I were you, I'd scrub out the tub. I know it isn't relaxing, but when you're done scrubbing it out and taking a bubble bath, you'll feel really accomplished and relaxed! I use housework as a distraction ALL the time... I never WANT to do it when I start, but by the time I'm done I feel great!!!
  • Try playing a game like solitaire or something...or work on a craft or sewing project...or clean house as previously suggested. Do some small task that you've been putting off, so you can feel accomplished.
  • Thanks everyone!

I ended up going for a walk to get away from the immediate problem, and then spent the evening reorganizing my clothes (something I've been putting off for too long). It served the dual purpose of accomplishing a needed task (half my winter clothes were still in tubs, and it's practically spring!), and reminding me what I'm working on - I have so many great things that I'm about 5 pounds away from wearing!

I've picked out a few things that I set aside as a reminder of what I will accomplish as I lose weight - samples of my favorites from 220, 200, and 185 (which was my last long-term stable weight - have a LOT of great clothes that I've been unable to throw out since I ballooned up 18 months ago!) I'm not a huge fan of the constant reminder (hanging up "skinny jeans" usually just makes me feel like crap 80% of the time), but I've got these in a top drawer where I can grab them when I have another evening like last night, to remind myself what's going on.

Again, thanks for all the comments and suggestions! It's good to remember we're all in this together.
  • Hi,
    I used to keep a 'future me' book. Almost like a journal and a scrap book. I'd put in it pictures of things I'd like to wear, things I'd like to go when I was thinner/fitter, places I'd like to go to, compliments people had given me as I lost weight... it was a good reminder of what I was trying to achieve.
    Sadly I went off track but am restarting with a vengance!
    Best wishes to you - You've done well and will soon be into those 5lb away clothes!!
  • I'm going through something similar. It seems like I lose the first 10 pounds, and then I start fooling around. My commitment starts to slip. I start thinking in terms of how much I can get away with instead of how much I can do. Yesterday was off plan for much of the day. I really do want this, and I don't want to play around. Plus I feels so much better when I'm eating healthy.

Anyway, as far as distractions, I just read an article that said if you go to a site like flickr.com and look at pictures of things you enjoy (flowers, pets, vacation sites) it's an effective distraction against eating. Also if you can just make it though 20 minutes cravings are supposed to go away (if you're having an urge for a particular food)

Hang in there, you're not alone!
  • Quote: Anyway, as far as distractions, I just read an article that said if you go to a site like flickr.com and look at pictures of things you enjoy (flowers, pets, vacation sites) it's an effective distraction against eating.
    Fantastic idea.

LOL Cats, if you are a cat lover...or youtube videos...there are some that can really make you split a gut.
  • You're right!
    Yesterday THE HUSBAND brought home junk food. I ate it. Feel like crap, stomach ache all night.

When I'm tempted, I have some miso soup (comes in a mix). It's salty and warm, gives me the feeling of macNcheez.

Didn't help yesterday, though!

Back on the wagon today.

F