3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Is water really the secret to weight loss? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/164491-water-really-secret-weight-loss.html)

hcred123 02-14-2009 12:23 PM

Is water really the secret to weight loss?

I've read on a lot of medical websites that water is the key to really losing weight. I was just wondering if anyone has actually had experience with water helping them shed the pounds.

CountingDown 02-14-2009 12:34 PM

I wouldn't say it is THE KEY, but I do believe that getting enough water is important.

I try to make sure I drink at least 48 oz (and usually 64) every day. It does seem to help :)

walking2lose 02-14-2009 12:58 PM

I drink a fair amount of water, but I do not believe at all that water is the key (eating less, eating healthier, moving more are keys). In fact, I like the macrobiotic suggestion to drink when we are thirsty - not just to chug water for the sake of chugging water.

cfmama 02-14-2009 01:05 PM

I've lost 76 lbs. In less than 5 months. I've changed everything about my life INCLUDING my water intake. I went from 2 maybe 3 glasses of water a day to a minimum of 3 L a day. Do I think it's been the secret? No. Do I think it's helped a WHOLE lot? Yes. Totally.

Annita 02-14-2009 06:14 PM

Water isn't the key - but it's one important element in the weight loss progress.

Thighs Be Gone 02-14-2009 06:21 PM

Thumbs up here on the water. Water is a key element for certain. NOT THE KEY though.

CFMama, I love that you say you changed EVERYTHING in your life. I did too! This effects every facet of my life.

rockinrobin 02-14-2009 06:43 PM

Water is most definitely NOT the key to weight loss. If it were I never would have been overweight. I was a HUGE water drinker. I think some people like to believe that it is key, because it's something easy or at least easier to change.

Creating a calorie deficit by reducing your caloric intake so that your stored fat is used as energy is the BIGGEST key. First and foremost. Read "THEE KEY". Adding in physical activity and exercise is another piece of the puzzle. Water? It's important - but not vital. If nothing else, drinking all the water is something to do with your mouth and keeps you full.

There really is no secret to weight loss. Eating well and exercise. Consistiently. Boring, nothing earth shattering. Sure, drink water, just how much is debatable.

jellydisney 02-14-2009 06:46 PM

In a word -- no. If you think that by suddently drinking 8 glasses of water a day you will lose weight - no.

However... if you replace soda, juice, alcohol with water... then you will start to see some differences. It's still not "the key" to weight loss, but it's one of the easiest ways to start.

run4change 02-14-2009 06:48 PM

Definitely note the key. I guess the key would be taking in less calories than you are burning. But water is an essential to having a heathily working body

Heather 02-15-2009 08:14 AM

For me it wasn't the key. I do try to stay hydrated -- especially when it's hot or I'm working out -- but I've never counted my water intake and don't carry a water bottle around.

I think a lot of people find benefit in it and it can be a great tool for some. But it's A tool in the box, and not the only one. Not even the most important one -- as Robin said, creating a calorie deficit is THE tool. To the extent that water contributes to that end, it is useful for weight loss. But it's not the only way to get there.

flatiron 02-15-2009 08:33 AM

It is important to be hydrated but not the key in fact there are some studies out now that say you don't need the 8 glasses a day that has been touted for years. You only need enough to stay hydrated and depending on how active you are and how much fluid you eliminate depends on your needs.

But there is no doubting that water intake is important.

Contrary to what many people believe, drinking a lot of water will not flush out the fat from your body.

Personally I think the key to weight loss can be many things to many different people and is highly debatable.

http://www.chetday.com/eightglassesofwater.htm

:)

tkm256 02-15-2009 10:33 AM

Well, a lot of people eat when they're really thirsty, or put liquid calories in themselves instead of water. If you have bad hydrating habits, upping your water intake will certainly help.

It isn't much of a secret, though. We all know by now that there's no such thing as a secret or key to weight loss. One rule: eat less than you burn. All the secrets and tricks we look for revolve around how to do this without going insane :p

Sofia 02-15-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkm256 (Post 2613256)
Well, a lot of people eat when they're really thirsty, or put liquid calories in themselves instead of water. If you have bad hydrating habits, upping your water intake will certainly help.

It isn't much of a secret, though. We all know by now that there's no such thing as a secret or key to weight loss. One rule: eat less than you burn. All the secrets and tricks we look for revolve around how to do this without going insane :p

I don't quite agree with you. You are right on the fact that "eat less than you burn'' is the key for weight loss. However water has great advantages to the body . Mild dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.
The studies conducted on diet loss suggested that one glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters

kelly315 02-15-2009 02:49 PM

Honestly, I believe it's the placebo effect. The science on water consumption is very shaky right now, and there are points that make sense on either side. The only thing that everyone agrees on- it's bad to be dehydrated. Other than that, I wouldn't count on water making or breaking your weight loss.

Glory87 02-15-2009 02:57 PM

I never cared a bit about drinking water and didn't up my water intake while losing weight or maintaining. Didn't seem to matter a bit. I still drink 3 glasses of water a day and a few mugs of herbal tea/cocoa. That's it!