Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default dreams of overeating to deal with stress?

This hasn't been the greatest of days.

I've been finding myself having dreams of overeating on chocolate and junk food lately, even though in reality, I'm keeping myself in check with calorie counting & exercise.

I found out this morning, that my mother may need to have more of her foot amputated due to a virus that may be spreading in her foot.

And also to make matters worse, I've been having some numbness at the tip of my last 2 fingers since thursday evening. (why, I have no idea... I already called the doctor's office today, but of course I have to wait to get a call back from her for an appt since I got the office's answer machine).

I'm just feeling stressed and just not sure how much more bad news I'm gonna be able to deal with in the short term before succumbing to a chocolate binge

~ tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #2  

Tea,
Hi. I'm Carolyn and I'm new here and on a roll today so I'm typing away.
I understand stress very well. Especially when it deals with someone you love. I am so sorry to hear of your moms medical problems. I wish the very best for her and for you as well.
But before you do like I have always done and blow your good eating on junk food try to find some other avenue to reduce your stress. Like exerise or shopping or something not calorie related. It's too easy to get back in to bad habbits when we get stressed or overwhelmed. If we can find ways other than food we will be all the better for it. Because if you do eat that chocolate you're gonna stress about that too. And that just adds to the problems.
Good luck and blessings to you and your mom.
Carolyn
onefatgalinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 298/233/198

Height: 5"9

i wish you both the best!!! you should go check out numbness!!!

but you should really keep going in the new life style you are trying to achieve!!! and dont stop cause it can make your health better!
second chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #4  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Hey Tea

Please do find another alternative, like walking, or writing away on here! When my father-in-law became ill I was at my goal weight, and do to the enormous stress we endured from his illness for several month I ate like crazy - sugar & carbs...............lol

I am still paying for it and trying to get my weight back down.
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #5  
run4change

S/C/G: 307.6/184/196

I so get that. On Saturday I couldn't get the thought of binging on donuts and pizza out of my head.
run4change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #6  
I will be positive

S/C/G: 224/183/135

Height: 5'4"

Tea I am so sorry about everything that has been going on with you the past month or so. 2009 really hasnt been your year so far. It seems you are dealing with so many things that are beyond your control, but your eating, or rather binging is the one thing you do have control over right now so hold on to that control with all your might. you have done such a wonderful job with your weight loss it would be such a shame watching you kick yourself all the way back too 300 pounds. we are all here for you, so vent, scream , cry, we'll listen. may you find peace and serenity soon, while still achieving your goal.
inspired by you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Hi Guys!!

Thank you so much for your kind words... I really needed to hear from friendly "voices" on this forum after hearing the bad news from my mother this morning.

I'm waiting to hear back on an appt for my finger numbness (probably tomorrow due to the amount of phone calls my mother has to make today in regards to her own medical condition... but my primary physician is aware I called in regards to that specific problem,so I should hear from her quite soon ).

After posting my original msg 1 to 2 hours ago, I just went ahead and did a 45 minute walking session on my treadmill and did some leg work from a dvd

If there's one shining light today, it's that X-mas came late for me today I just got my yoga mat & mini-stepper fedex'd to my doorstep a few minutes ago (that I ordered when the incline of my treadmill broke down last week), so already I'm smiling a little with my new exercise "goodies"

Still, thanks again so much for your comments! I read them a couple times throughout the day when I'm stressed!

~ tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #8  
Reached Goal Sept 11/09

S/C/G: 228/135

Hi Tea,

I am a recovered alcoholic, and when I first quit drinking, I used to have "drinking dreams" so vivid, I wasn't sure if I needed to call my sponsor and confess! I had a similar experience with "smoking dreams" after I quit smoking. I haven't had a ton of eating dreams, but I have had a recurring dream about my scale.

So, I may just be neurotic, but I always feel like the dreams are my mind's way of resolving the conflict I am experiencing when trying to integrate new habits into my life. Stress would seem like a likely trigger, since that is when I would normally turn to my addictive behaviour to "solve" the problem.

I am sorry to hear about your mom. Hang in there!
MrsWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #9  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Tea, I am going thru a lot with my dear parents as well, dad with heart problems and mum with dementia. So I really understand the worries and concerns, both for them, and for yourself. If you have kids too, you will be part of the "sandwich" generation.
You are right to be concerned about the stress, and doing things for yourself to help is the right thing, just be a "little" selfish now and then. Make sure you eat right, and get exercise, and get outside regularly.
Good luck and best wishes to you and your mum
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Tea, dreaming is fine...eating not so good and will ultimately increase, not reduce your stress.

How about some comforting sweet hot tea? I find that it is both filling and comforting for me at least, and substitutes for a calorie filled sweet.

I'm really sorry that things are so bad. Hang in there...
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote